“Painful” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Richmond, Virginia
“Painful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I don't usually review hotels, but this was such an outlier I felt the need to share.

I was awakened by housekeeper vacuuming just outside my door and whacking the door repeatedly as she did so. The topper was the multiple times over two hours - lasting 2-3 minutes each - that an air raid siren blasted through the room's loudspeaker in the middle of my conference calls. They did not apologize when I called to inquire if I should evacuate, only said they were 'working on a problem'. Then again, maybe they did apologize and I just couldn't hear them over the din!

Room was clean and comfortable but there were a total of four hand rails and a hand shower in addition to the regular head in the shower...preventing the shower curtain from actually closing. The water pressure was low and came in and out as I was showering. The bathroom was clean but with many scuffs and an institutional feel, and dim from burned out light bulbs.

I found it difficult to impossible to work in this hotel, and did not leave rested or relaxed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Please accept our most sincere apologies that we did not create the experience you deserved as a valued guest. The safety and security of our guests is a top concern and periodically we must test our alarms to ensure that all is in its best condition. We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experienced as the result of the sound and will review our response to the situation with our team to ensure that we communicate any safety information necessary to our guests. Our engineers are also looking into the water pressure issue you mentioned and will make any necessary repairs as well as replace any light bulbs that may be out. While it seems that you appreciated our clean and comfortable accommodations, we are truly disappointed that you entire stay was not fully enjoyable. We value the feedback you've offered and thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 1 night before catching our cruise on the Sunday.
The price was right, the hotel was comfortable and the location was great (2min. cab ride to the pier). We were also close to 2 stores to purchase wine / drinks for the cruise.

The internet on the main floor is really spotty, and a pain to connect too.
The breakfast buffet selection was amazing, and the quality of the food was good. The price per person with 18% gratuity for a buffet was a slap in the face. We were served a round of coffee by a server once, never to be seen again, that's it....18% gratuity, come on.

Hotel, 4/5
Breakfast, 2/5

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Located just minutes from the Port of Miami, the Hilton Miami Downtown provides the best of accommodations before or after a cruise. We couldn’t be happier to learn you enjoyed the convenience of our hotel as well as comfortable stay. It is disappointing that you experienced difficulty in connecting to our complimentary Wi-Fi in the Lobby and will share your comments with our technical associates. Please know that someone is always available should you have any concerns while staying with us. We always want the value of our service and quality of our amenities to be parallel to our prices and apologize that we did not meet that expectation. As an alternative, we do offer a variety of packages that include both breakfast and transfer to the port to ensure an affordable stay for everyone. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again, thank you for your review.
Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Check in took forever and we got a good corner room..the beds are great the location is very scary outside but there is enough to do inside the hotel...nice outside and pool ...the bar is great the breakfast is ok value and has great fruit selection

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of the Hilton Miami Downtown. While we are truly happy that you enjoyed the comforts of your guestroom as well as the rooftop pool and breakfast at Brisa Bistro, we must apologize if you experienced any delay in check in. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. While check in can sometimes be hectic, please know that we will do everything we can to accommodate our guests needs for a quick, efficient start to their visit
and will share your comments with our management team. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
Castries, St. Lucia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed in the Hilton Downtown from the 18th-25th room 1203. The hoilday was an excellent experience. The customer service was great all the staff was so friendly and informative especially the bell staff a great team a plus to the hotel. Kudos to Larry Bannister bell captain,he and his team made my stay so easy and wonderful helping me, plan my tours and trips to the malls. The service actually from every employee i was in contact with was courteous and friendly. The room was clean and spacious, i was extremly comfortable the only thing i wish the room had was a mini fridge, however the floor had a vending and ice machine which was convenient. I would difinitely recommend the hilton to anyone, the hotel is in a great location and i will go back there for another vacation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your glowing review of the Hilton Miami Downtown. We are overjoyed that our associates were able to help in creating such a memorable time for you. We believe that providing excellent service is paramount and we are glad you found everyone to be so welcoming and helpful. We will share your feedback with everyone here. Please know that refrigerators are available upon request. Should you ever need anything while staying with us, one of our associates is always happy to help. It is our hope to welcome you again, thank you.
Naples, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I spent Thanksgiving weekend (3 nights) at the Hilton Downtown. I had booked it after looking at a lot of other possibilities. I did not want to be on South Beach and i wanted a view of Biscayne Bay. I signed up for an upgrade to a suite if available and it was. The suite was enormous with a southern and eastern exposure. Wow!
Check in was courteous and friendly. In fact, every employee was helpful. My stay was most satisfying and the room was an extremely good value. I can say that because I looked at a lot of other downtown properties. I left the car in the garage ($28 per night) and took cabs to downtown restaurants, not far away.
Only complaints: furniture was very old and dated, and wi-fi in the lobby areas was spotty. also, would have been nice to have a fridge or mini-bar in the suite.
All in all, you should give it a try.

Room Tip: this was a junior suite at a very good price, perhaps b/c it was a holiday weekend and most people w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Step into our suite accommodations and treat yourself to the best downtown Miami views from our floor to ceiling windows. We think wow is the perfect description! Thank you for your review and recommendation of the Hilton Miami Downtown, it is always such a pleasure to read feedback from our guests and learn about everything they enjoy while staying with us. We must apologize if you had any issues with our complimentary wireless Internet in the Lobby. Please know that someone is always available should you have any concerns and refrigerators are available upon request. The next time you are in Miami, we would love to welcome you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night before heading home and it was perfect! Rooms were spacious and comfortable! Hotel greeted us warmly which is what we always get from Hilton. I will definitely stay here again. Should have stayed here earlier in our vacation before our cruise. This hotel is close enough to port of Miami.

• Stayed November 2012
Knowing that you enjoyed your stay so much you will be inspired to return is the best compliment we could receive! Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Miami Downtown. Warm, hospitable service and spacious, comfortable accommodations are just some of the many amenities you can expect when visiting us and our convenient access to the Port of Miami makes cruise travel a breeze. Next time we hope you can stay for a longer visit as it would be our pleasure welcome you.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed in room 434 October 18 and 19th with the Morinda Bioactive Fall National convention. When I went to take a shower, I removed the mat from the edge of the tub and a roach fell out. The hot water faucet was loose, and there appeared to be mold in some of the tile joints in the shower. I had breakfast Saturday morning and ordered from the menu. I had to send the eggs back as they were cold. I know this is Miami, but $28 a day for parking is really high!
I checked out on Sunday, the 20th to drive back to Orlando. When I got home, I noticed that I had left my iPad 2 in the hotel room, along with some dvd's from the convention. I immediately called the hotel, and they said no one had turned it in to Lost and Found. I called later that evening, and they said they would send a Security person to the room. They found no iPad in the room. I called the next day and asked to speak to Housekeeping. I got a voice mail, and left a message with my phone number that if the iPad was found, I would give $100 reward no questions asked. I did not receive a call back from Housekeeping. I am totally frustrated, as no one else was in the room after me except housekeeping. I had taken video of each speaker on Saturday which is now lost. My iPad 2 was over $600 and I find this to be totally unexceptable for a hotel with this name brand recognition. I want my iPad 2 back, but obviously it's in the hands of someone else. I was sent a email for comment about my stay, and I replied about the roach, faucet, mold and stolen iPad 2. I did not receive any reply back from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonMiamiDowntown, General Manager at Hilton Miami Downtown, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I’m disheartened to hear about your experience with us while in town for the convention. We work with a local pest control company for any pest issues and have addressed this problem. We've also worked with our housekeeping staff regarding the mold issues you experienced. The safety and security of our guests is always a top concern and we appreciate that you alerted us about your missing device. I regret that your iPad was not recovered and I apologize for the delay in replying to your message. Unfortunately we were unable to locate any correspondence regarding this issue and were unable to contact you for further information as do not have your contact information. Please contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with our Director of Security for assistance. Thank you!

Been to Hilton Miami Downtown? Share your experiences!