“No real problems” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Larne, United Kingdom
“No real problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This one looks a bit ordinary from the outside and is not very well arranged in the lobby. It would not be an hotel to spend more than one night in if you could help it.
The room was fine, a standard Hilton type of room. The parking was complimentary as was the wi fi and there was free coffee in the lobby in the morning.
No real problem but it could look a bit better.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I guess this Garden Sleep system works for some people. However, it is a glorified air mattress. When your partner moves to your side of the bed, you spring up or down or vice versa. My side never got better than 'floor firm.' I rolled downhill towards my husband all night. I am quite familiar with the system and realize it takes about 5 minutes to adjust to your body. But 48 hours later, and no response from any setting has left me in pain and restless. Our bed looks like this: ~

We travel and stay in hotels literally 300+ nights a year. We avoid hotels with this type of bed, because they are unpredictable and don't handle wear and tear of multiple guests well over time. I'm not sure why hotels still use this. It is a crap shoot, so make sure to test the integrity of your bed before unpacking.

Otherwise, the staff was friendly and helpful. The location is ok, but there are closer hotels to the airport if you are interested in that and avoiding the Miami traffic scene. This hotel is far away from the attractions of downtown/beaches.

There are a lot of great amenities like a fridge and microwave, keurig coffee maker, pool, laundry, lounge and pantry with snacks and other items. Again with most Miami hotels, there is no tub, only a shower. But the bathroom has ample space.

There are plenty of accessible power outlets, which is important to the business traveler.

This hotel is sealed extremely well from any noise. I have stayed in 4 other hotels in Miami in the past month, and surprisingly, this is the quietest one, even with the jets.

The free shuttle and parking is a bonus as well. There are also several local restaurants and fast food options within walking distance. Careful with the frogger game crossing the highway, but other than that, the location is pretty good for eating, liquor, snacks and light grocery shopping.

The free internet is actually amazingly fast for a hotel. Down speeds of 15 and up of 10. Most hotels have 1.2down/1 up if you are really lucky. It is fast enough to watch netflix and YouTube and do your business on the Internet, VPN and email.

For those with weird sleep schedules due to jet lag or international business obligations, the curtains actually work and block out most or all light if you need to sleep in the day.

For airplane enthusiasts or those with kids, it is awe inspiring to sit in the outdoor lounge and watch the big jets come in for that particular landing pattern. If you like to 'plane watch,' this is a good choice without the annoyance of sound (we did not experience excessive sound on the 4th floor poolside).

The rooms are a good size with a bed or two, a chair with ottoman, and a medium desk with power outlets.

In all, I use a hotel to sleep, shower and conduct business. Conducting business was great, sleeping was not. Hence the 3 star rating.

My solution would be to offer this type of bed for those interested and have a number of rooms with normal beds so guests don't have to be bothered with this situation.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Lakehurst, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

No towels on the bathroom when I arrived after 3:00 PM. I called the front desk, towels were delivered after that. After that somebody called that the towels will be delivered soon, I told her that I got the towels; after that a lady showed with more towels. The 18% service charge on the restaurant bill is not acceptable, I think that is illegal. Not happy with the issues. This is not the first time that I have problems on a HGI.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Erie, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Clean, good service, good quality and taste of the food. Friendly, very convenient location. The registration was very fast, quite rooms with great beds and pillows. Quick transportation to the airport

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Chesterfield, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Honestly, when we first drove up I thought we were in trouble as the hotel happened to be directly underneath a flight path for the nearby airport. Then when we got our room on the 5th (top) floor, I really had resigned myself to no sleep with the planes flying overhead. The room itself was nice, as were the staff who recommended several good, but moderately priced restaurants across the street. When we returned to the hotel after 7:00 PM, we found the gate to the entrance locked and had to call for security to come open it. It was then we noticed the entire property was fenced in. Once we got to our room we retired early. Around 2:30 AM, I was awakened to some type of loud music I assumed was from a nearby bar or discotheque. Hoping that it would end surely by 3 AM, I laid in bed waiting. 3 AM came and went and it was still playing. By 3:30 my wife was awake too. Luckily she had an app with ocean waves and night sounds that drowned out the music. When we woke up for our flight, my wife informed me the music stopped around 5:00 AM.
In conclusion, the hotel itself was clean, nice and within 10 min of the airport. Staff was friendly with security patrolling the parking lot all night. Overall, I don't have anything but good to say of my stay here. However, the music ruined my nights sleep. Perhaps it was someone in their car jamming out or something that only happened on Saturday nights, but it still made the night awfully long. Ironically, the airplanes that I originally was worried about....never heard a one fly over lol.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Leicester England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We chose this hotel for the easy convenient location near to the airport en route to our cruise out of St Thomas and can only say we made a great choice.
The shuttle bus was very good both ways.
Very efficient and helpful staff.
Nice ground floor room which was very clean and pretty quiet considering the proximity to the airport.
Only one thing let our stay down and that was we pre booked a smoking room and upon arrival there were none available.
All in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I stay at this hotel every time I come to the Miami area because the location is right for what i do for work and the staff is very friendly, the rooms are very clean, they open their arms to welcome me back every time, just a great hotel

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West? Share your experiences!