“Perfect for Pre-Cruisers/Layovers” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, CA
“Perfect for Pre-Cruisers/Layovers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

It seemed very clear during our stay that this hotel is frequented by many people flying into Miami to embark on a cruise (like us), so that's what I will tailor this review for... people with short stays, layovers, or looking to head to the Port of Miami.

This is a really nicely appointed hotel. We had a good experience overall... cleanliness was great, our rooms were fresh, extremely comfy beds, nicely appointed, and quiet (even with a wedding in house during our night). The pool area was clean and peaceful. The gym was had a good selection of new equipment. The things that make this location above and beyond the general layover hotel:

- Fridge and Microwave in rooms! Very nice if you come in late and purchase a frozen dinner from the convenience store downstairs.
- Guest Laundromat and Convenience Store - In case you need to do any laundry before or especially after a cruise. The only place we saw nearby to grab food was Denny's or a Chevron, so if you come in late, it was nice to have the convenience store to get a quick bite. They had Lean Cuisine's and Stouffers meals, so it's good for the whole family
- A $12/per person shuttle to the Port of Miami for people going on Cruises. Very convenient and simple
- Timely airport shuttle... we called the hotel, gave them our terminal, and waited about 15 min... not bad for Miami
- Bath and Body Works brand soaps in the bathroom... great quality and nice touch!

The breakfast in the morning was $11, we didn't partake, but it seemed popular. Lots of parking if you have a rental car.

The only thing that really displeased us was the night front desk person. When we arrived at the hotel, it was after 10 PM and we were locked out of the building. We rang the buzzer and waited LITERALLY 5 minutes until a party guest from the wedding let us in. We could see the front desk from the door and no one was there, and when we did come to the desk, it took another minute for someone to come out of the office. No apologies were offered. Even better... while checking in, I realize that I'm standing on a pile of broken glass... at the check in counter! I let the desk manager know there's tons of small pices of broken glass on the floor, and he says "Oh yeah, I know, someone just broke their wine glass but I don't know where they keep the brooms". Are you kidding me? There were a bunch of people drinking at the bar from the wedding in house, but that's no excuse. You are a front desk manager and you don't know where you keep brooms in your hotel? This would have severely lessened the rating of the hotel had the morning front desk staff not been completely awesome and helpful and made up for it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Maria C, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you so much for the lovely compliments and we're so glad we had the opportunity to serve you prior to your cruise. We pride ourselves in accommodating all guests and offering amenities to help you have a successful day. I've shared your comments with our team so we can continue such service in the future. I regret to hear about your experience with one of our front desk team members and can assure you this is not typical. I've personally addressed this and apologize for your experience. We hope that you'll come back and let us show you our true dedication to hospitality from each of our staff.

Maria Cancino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Good overall, but could use some improvements on customer service.

Room: Good size room, comfortable, some have double beds, one bed is a temper pedic style, that sags really bad, some like that, it is NOT supportive for larger adults.

Workout facility: Nice, free weights, treadmills, bike, could use some repairs though, the treadmills squeak REALLY bad.

Restaraunt: Good, friendly service, food prepared nicely, great tasting.

Room Service: REALLY needs training on customer service. I called to ask for some condiments to be brought up (catsup and tarter sauce), the person on the phone seemed confused, and said ok. Another person called back and I was informed I must order a meal, even though I had the night before. I was told I could come down to get the items, but they would not bring them up! I did, and informed the front desk what just happened, they were shocked, and appologized saying "That was not very nice", I agreed. No other actions were taken on behalf of the hotel.

Staff, overall friendly, yet could use some more training. When I checked in, asked a question about points, the front desk person said to do it online. I checked, and the option was only avialable from a front staff person, they told me to check back the next day when the supervisor would be there.

Noise: It is in the direct path of the flights, I was on the 6th floor, and could hear the planes, but it is fairly well insulated, and did not hear too much noise through the night or during the morning.

This is our "default" hotel for my company, since it is fairly close to our regional office, yet I would prefer to stay elsewhere (like the Homewood suites next door) instead of this location.

Room Tip: Lower floors have less chances for noise from the flight path.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Maria C, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
It's our mission to provide guests with friendly, accommodating and competent service. I'm disappointed to hear that this was not your experience and have addressed the issues you encountered when inquiring about our points system and when requesting condiments. Please know we truly care about your satisfaction and appreciate your feedback about how we can improve. We'll utilize your review to make the necessary updates and for future training opportunities. We hope you'll come back and see us again for a much better stay.

Director of Operations
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The staff at this hotel are friendly and attentive.

The food at the onsite restaurant is great! Byron is a fabulous bartender....he recommended both the Dragon fire Chicken Flat bread and the NY Strip with the Brie-Bacon Mashed Potatoes and they were AWESOME!

The pool is clean but cold. The hot tub is nice. The pool deck has ample seating with lots of space to stretch out.

This hotel is in a location with only a gas station, a tiny convenience store, and a friendly liquor store nearby. There is a Subway, McDonald's, Denny's, and Wendy's across the street.

The free shuttle runs to and from the airport on demand. It also runs to the Dolphin Shopping Center and Walmart every couple of hours.

The Business Center is spacious. They provide free cookies every night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The room, pool and bartender were fine. Here is where this hotel left my family feeling bad. I think part of this is just because Miami sucks, but mostly it is because of poor local management of the hotel.
- Shuttle service is horrible #1: We called from airport to be picked up by shuttle. It took 4 calls and almost an hour's wait before a threatened bad review had them tell us to take a cab and they would pay for it. It is great that they finally paid, but we shouldn't have had to wait so long. During the third call, one woman was very rude on the phone, saying "you just called 2 minutes ago", when it had been over 15 minutes since our last call, and 40 minutes since our first call.
- Bad signage #1: When at the front desk, it is not obvious where the elevators are located. There is no sign saying "elevator" with an arrow. No one at the desk volunteers this info. this means that although many, many people must ask them every day "where are the elevators" they don't see fit to either tell people proactively or put up a sign.
- Bad signage #2: I left my family in the room and went to check out the pool. The pool was OK., but I was trapped outside the hotel without a key to get back in. When I finally got a passing guest to let me in, I looked around inside the door and noticed that there was nowhere a sign warning "if you go out this door without your key, you won't be able to get back in". I thought this an obvious oversight, and politely suggested to the front desk that they should put up a sign, etc. They insisted there was a sign repeatedly, and were argumentative and rude. Wow! that was weird. We were all looking at the door together, and believe me, there was no sign.
- Shuttle service is horrible #2: First, be advised that between 12 and 7 AM. there are only shuttles once per hour, on the hour. This is not very good for an "airport hotel". I was out early to make sure we got on the shuttle, given our earlier problems with their service. A shuttle pulled up, and i was repeatedly, rudely told to get my luggage away from it, or to move back - hard to understand the person. It turned out that that shuttle was for airline crew and not guests, yet no one informed all the guests waiting there. This is typical Miami, where no one just politely tells people things they need to know voluntarily. Eventually, the real shuttle started up. It quickly became horribly overcrowded. I witnessed a family going to a cruise, forced to be split up, leaving some members behind to take a cab. not a good scene.

Overall, management fails to recognize that their shuttle service is horrible and not adequate. Management has also failed to insure that the front desk staff and shuttle staff are polite and informative.

Overall, the room was ok, but the experience was bad. I wished i'd stayed somewhere else. Also, the hotel is a fairly long ride from the airport, not what i'd normally consider an "airport Hotel" distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Maria C, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. I apologize for the disappointing experience and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future, better signage is available and improvements are made with our shuttle services. We will also offer additional customer service training to ensure all guests receive the hospitality they deserve. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area, I hope that you will be our guest again.

La Grange, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here prior to cruise out of Miami. Used stay123 website to secure free parking during cruise. They provide free shuttle to cruise port, but not for return after cruise, which seems odd. You have to use taxi or arrange other transportation. It is a few miles from cruise port, taxi fare was $40.
Hotel was nice. Room was good. They do not have free breakfast, but have a full restaurant in lobby. One caution, the restaurant automatically adds 18% tip, be careful to not tip twice. Hotel is in airport flight path, but did not notice any planes overpass at night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria C, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and write a review about our property. I am so glad that you like our installations and that the cruise and park package was very helpful for you, unfortunately we do not have the pick up from the port. Your comments are very helpful for us because that way we can improve more our services in the hotel. We are looking forward for your next visit!

Best Regards,

Angie Hidalgo
Front Desk Supervisor
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

good shuttle service, nice pool good location to walk to fast food restaurants .across road ..comfortable beds, good temp. control in room. Good Hot breakfast. good Internet service. Pet Free Rooms Available.

Room Tip: seems 2nd floor is open to pets so ask for a pet free room on another floor if you have allergies
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Montego Bay, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Clean but not renovated for some time. Everybody freindly. Pick up from and to airport worked fine.
Food was good but to much coming in on a flight from Europe and you just want something light to help you with your jetleg adjustment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West? Share your experiences!