“Nice Place for a Short Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Now, Save up to 25%
Ranked #35 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“Nice Place for a Short Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The staff at this hotel are friendly and attentive.

The food at the onsite restaurant is great! Byron is a fabulous bartender....he recommended both the Dragon fire Chicken Flat bread and the NY Strip with the Brie-Bacon Mashed Potatoes and they were AWESOME!

The pool is clean but cold. The hot tub is nice. The pool deck has ample seating with lots of space to stretch out.

This hotel is in a location with only a gas station, a tiny convenience store, and a friendly liquor store nearby. There is a Subway, McDonald's, Denny's, and Wendy's across the street.

The free shuttle runs to and from the airport on demand. It also runs to the Dolphin Shopping Center and Walmart every couple of hours.

The Business Center is spacious. They provide free cookies every night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The room, pool and bartender were fine. Here is where this hotel left my family feeling bad. I think part of this is just because Miami sucks, but mostly it is because of poor local management of the hotel.
- Shuttle service is horrible #1: We called from airport to be picked up by shuttle. It took 4 calls and almost an hour's wait before a threatened bad review had them tell us to take a cab and they would pay for it. It is great that they finally paid, but we shouldn't have had to wait so long. During the third call, one woman was very rude on the phone, saying "you just called 2 minutes ago", when it had been over 15 minutes since our last call, and 40 minutes since our first call.
- Bad signage #1: When at the front desk, it is not obvious where the elevators are located. There is no sign saying "elevator" with an arrow. No one at the desk volunteers this info. this means that although many, many people must ask them every day "where are the elevators" they don't see fit to either tell people proactively or put up a sign.
- Bad signage #2: I left my family in the room and went to check out the pool. The pool was OK., but I was trapped outside the hotel without a key to get back in. When I finally got a passing guest to let me in, I looked around inside the door and noticed that there was nowhere a sign warning "if you go out this door without your key, you won't be able to get back in". I thought this an obvious oversight, and politely suggested to the front desk that they should put up a sign, etc. They insisted there was a sign repeatedly, and were argumentative and rude. Wow! that was weird. We were all looking at the door together, and believe me, there was no sign.
- Shuttle service is horrible #2: First, be advised that between 12 and 7 AM. there are only shuttles once per hour, on the hour. This is not very good for an "airport hotel". I was out early to make sure we got on the shuttle, given our earlier problems with their service. A shuttle pulled up, and i was repeatedly, rudely told to get my luggage away from it, or to move back - hard to understand the person. It turned out that that shuttle was for airline crew and not guests, yet no one informed all the guests waiting there. This is typical Miami, where no one just politely tells people things they need to know voluntarily. Eventually, the real shuttle started up. It quickly became horribly overcrowded. I witnessed a family going to a cruise, forced to be split up, leaving some members behind to take a cab. not a good scene.

Overall, management fails to recognize that their shuttle service is horrible and not adequate. Management has also failed to insure that the front desk staff and shuttle staff are polite and informative.

Overall, the room was ok, but the experience was bad. I wished i'd stayed somewhere else. Also, the hotel is a fairly long ride from the airport, not what i'd normally consider an "airport Hotel" distance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Maria C, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests – including places of improvement. I apologize for the disappointing experience and I have taken your comments to our team to ensure that in the future, better signage is available and improvements are made with our shuttle services. We will also offer additional customer service training to ensure all guests receive the hospitality they deserve. The next time you have the opportunity to travel to the area, I hope that you will be our guest again.

Kind regards,

Maria Cancino
La Grange, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here prior to cruise out of Miami. Used stay123 website to secure free parking during cruise. They provide free shuttle to cruise port, but not for return after cruise, which seems odd. You have to use taxi or arrange other transportation. It is a few miles from cruise port, taxi fare was $40.
Hotel was nice. Room was good. They do not have free breakfast, but have a full restaurant in lobby. One caution, the restaurant automatically adds 18% tip, be careful to not tip twice. Hotel is in airport flight path, but did not notice any planes overpass at night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria C, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and write a review about our property. I am so glad that you like our installations and that the cruise and park package was very helpful for you, unfortunately we do not have the pick up from the port. Your comments are very helpful for us because that way we can improve more our services in the hotel. We are looking forward for your next visit!

Best Regards,

Angie Hidalgo
Front Desk Supervisor
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

good shuttle service, nice pool good location to walk to fast food restaurants .across road ..comfortable beds, good temp. control in room. Good Hot breakfast. good Internet service. Pet Free Rooms Available.

Room Tip: seems 2nd floor is open to pets so ask for a pet free room on another floor if you have allergies
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Montego Bay, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Clean but not renovated for some time. Everybody freindly. Pick up from and to airport worked fine.
Food was good but to much coming in on a flight from Europe and you just want something light to help you with your jetleg adjustment.

Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed for a night to take the cruise the next day. From the airport when we called for the shuttle, they gave an estimate of 30 minutes but a shuttle came within 5 minutes. Check in was quick. Our breakfast was not included as we had booked through one of the 3rd party websites. Dennys right across the street (be careful while crossing - there is no ped-xing there. The ped-xing is located very far off near the traffic light) serves very good breakfast.

The room was quite clean. The bedding was extremely comfortable. Our special requests were promptly attended to. The airport shuttle is free but there is no free shuttle to the cruise port.

This hotel is a bit pricey compared to the nearby airport hotels. But after reading the reviews on the cheaper hotels, I decided to stay here and it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco Peninsula
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

One night stay, in transit. Airport shuttle worked just fine. We called and were told we would have to wait 25 min, but the shuttle came right away - a nice surprise! Lobby clean, we'll organized - same layout as other HGIs I've stayed in. Check in efficient and friendly. Room, a mini-suite (another nice surprise), large enough, clean, functional & quiet.
Restaurant very busy and service slow. Served apologized for delay. Note: tip is added to bill - no need to add more unless you want to. Food was good. I would have like a menu that listed calories, but that's just me. Flatbread was delicious!
Only a MCD & Denny's within easy walking distance (well, maybe more options - we arrived late and that's all I saw, and I was looking)
Next morning: The shuttle driver overheard that our next stop was a car rental place. Instead of taking us to MIA so that we would have to get another shuttle, she drove us directly to car rentals...really nice of her.
The next day: I realized I left something in my room. I called, it had been found and I was able to pick it up without any problem. I really appreciated this extra.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Miami Airport West? Share your experiences!