“A lovely dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Indialantic, Florida
“A lovely dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of having dinner at this place last night.
We live in the area and did not know of the existence of this place. A friend of ours that is an accomplished old school CHEF (intentionally capital) invited us and the experiance was memorable. The setting of the place is unique, the arrangement inside is cosy and comfortable with plenty of space in every single room to make one feel at ease, the terrace set up is exquisite.
The moment the menu was presented to us we knew we were in very fine establishment. (seems that they grow their own vegetables ad vary them on season)
We chose to start with a tartare of tile fish and our friend had a house cured ham;
the presentation was brilliant and it was a delicate dish.
We then had some roasted tomatoes with pecans also very pleasing to the eyes as to the stomac.
Our main dish was a delicate breast of duck on a bed of herbs and a puree of swet potatoes; our friend chose the tile fish.All excellently prepared and displayed.
We certainly had no place for dessert but we were convinced to try their Napoleon with a banana flambe'.
The service which we found out was done by the wife of the owner/chef was gentle and perfect; the lady advised us and provided an excellent white and a red for myself and to summarize we can only say that we had a wonderful evening with an exquisite meal and a royal service threatment.
The place is an asset for the town and the region and we will warmly recommend it to our gourmet friends.
We personally thank our CHEF friend for introducing us to this unique place.
Claudio and Claudia Esposito Bernasconi

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Viera, Florida
“Amazingly Delicious & Creative...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

When my husband and I finally found some time for a "date night", our immediate first choice for an intimate dining experience with excellent service was Merritt's Table. We have been there a few times before and have enjoyed it every time. After an educational and fun run through of their wine list with the owner of the restaurant, she helped us select the perfect bottle of wine to pair with our palate and meal selections.

Our appetizers were incredibly well prepared, especially the organic carrots with tagliattini and goat cheese. I am not a huge fan of carrots but I could honestly not get enough of these golden gifts from the Gods. The tomato and broccoli salad and velvety roasted pepper and tomato bisque were delectable. You can taste that the food is of the highest quality. Perhaps it tastes even better knowing it is locally sourced.

For our main course, my husband ordered the duck breast and I ordered the flat iron steak with a sweet potato purée and gourmet onion rings. It was all mouth-watering but I had you at gourmet onion rings, right? I know! They had me too because they were thick cut, full of natural flavor and just perfection. I like my steak on the rarer side and prefer filets so I am always a little apprehensive ordering another cut. This flat iron steak was wonderfully prepared to my liking and jam packed with flavor. It had just the right amount of sauce and that sauce had the right amount of seasoning.

As we finished our great wine, we shared the donut holes and Napoleon, which we thoroughly enjoyed - especially the donut holes with their yummy chocolate sauce featuring fresh peanuts. A true delight!

Merritt's Table is consistently delicious. They are so creative with their presentation and culinary skill. You can tell the passion they have for the food and the way they present it to their guests. They are a gem and for anyone seeking a delightful and savory dining experience, they should not miss an opportunity to dine at Merritt's Table.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rockledge, Florida
“Sauces and More Sauces, and None of them Good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We previously dined here and liked it. It is pricey, $75 per person with tea and coffee as the only drinks. Tonight was just plain bad. Maybe a new chef, or a new owner. Tapas: the pork sliders had a barbecue sauce that overwhelmed (watch this theme). The soup had bacon that was much too smoky, and the smoky flavor overwhelmed. The pork and grits was too much food, the grits, strange, and the pork overwhelmed by the sauce, couldn't tell it was pork. Salads: the tomato salad with cornbread was overdressed and just not pleasant to eat. The Pok Choi was the one highlight of the night. Mains: the duck breast was good, but the sides were inedible. The flat iron steak was overwhelmed by the teriyaki sauce, and the sweet potato just bland. The cornish hen was undercooked, inconsistent, and covered with an overwhelming peppery barbecue sauce. The sides were again inedible. Desserts, the donuts were overwhelmed by the strawberries and the chocolate sauce, and the cheesecake was okay unless the caramel sauce came in contact with it. Then it was a diabetic coma, overly sweet. This was our last trip there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Anywhere, USA
“Nice find but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stopped over in Cocoa after a long drive from the keys and found this restaurant on Trip Advisor. We consider ourselves foodies and appreciate a very good meal. We arrived without reservations around 8:15 and the restaurant was less than half full. We were dressed in road trip clothes while most of the patrons of this restaurant were dressed up. That could be why the owner left us standing in the waiting area without acknowledging us for over ten minutes. She offered to sit us in the library (just off the entrance away from the other diners) again perhaps because of our attire. We were about about to leave as we had been waiting now about 15 minutes when Laura (the owner) brought the set up for our table - we decided to stay and give it a try - i'm so glad we did.

The menu changes daily - we ordered a starter (braised pork belly over grits) and it was absolutely delicious. We also had two different salads comprised of locally sourced vegetables, both were unusual but also very tasty. I had the flat iron steak with the yummiest mashed potatoes i've had in some time and my husband had a pasta dish that was unlike any pasta dish we have ever had and we both enjoyed it very much. The meal was terrific and our server (Dante?) was fabulous. Laura even seemed to warm to us as the evening went on.

Overall, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a great meal with a unique blend of flavors. My only criticism would be that the owner should have acknowledged us when we walked in and let us know that she would be with us shortly. We may not have been the best adorned guests of the evening but our money spends the same as those in sport coats and we should have been treated as valued guests rather than people who may not have been able to afford a meal there based on our attire.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
MerrittsTable, Owner at Merritt's Table, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you very much for posting your review. We're really glad you enjoyed the meal. I do want to apologize for the initial wait - I like to greet and seat everyone personally, and sometimes I'm pulled in too many directions. You've given me a great reminder that I need to learn to delegate! Please know that I have no recollection of how you were dressed that evening - our dress code at Merritt's Table is "come hungry and happy." We just care that we serve you the best possible meal and that you enjoy yourselves. The library is the most coveted table in the restaurant - I thought you would enjoy the intimacy. Also, with later seatings, as the restaurant empties, the closer you are to the kitchen, the more background noise you can hear as they're cleaning up. I always try to seat later reservations at a distance from the kitchen to ensure that you're not bothered by our clatter. I guess my greatest personal disappointment with your dining experience with us is that I did not spend enough time getting to know you, discovering your concerns and responding personally to them that evening. We're honored that you chose to dine with us, and we hope to see you on your next trip through Brevard County. - Laura
Cocoa, FL
“Locally sourced foods, great wines, intimate atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Situated in an old historic house in a quiet part of Merritt Island, just blocks from the causeway, Merritt's Table is a treasure! My husband surprised me by taking me for the first time on our anniversary last week and we were given a small private room, "The Library", filled with cookbooks and language books that underscore the passions of the owners. The Space Coast is very fortunate to have attracted them; Laura and Chris are a great pair - he's the chef extraordinaire and she's the organizer, manager and hostess. They create a wonderful dining experience. Delicious, creative food, using whatever ingredients are locally available at the time. We enjoyed fabulous salads with the freshest ingredients and much pzazz as well as great seafood dishes combined with marvelous vegetables and imaginative sauces. And then the desserts - wow! Perfect evening.

• Visited December 2012