“Sauces and More Sauces, and None of them Good” 2 of 5 stars

(321) 208-7957
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Rockledge, Florida
“Sauces and More Sauces, and None of them Good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We previously dined here and liked it. It is pricey, $75 per person with tea and coffee as the only drinks. Tonight was just plain bad. Maybe a new chef, or a new owner. Tapas: the pork sliders had a barbecue sauce that overwhelmed (watch this theme). The soup had bacon that was much too smoky, and the smoky flavor overwhelmed. The pork and grits was too much food, the grits, strange, and the pork overwhelmed by the sauce, couldn't tell it was pork. Salads: the tomato salad with cornbread was overdressed and just not pleasant to eat. The Pok Choi was the one highlight of the night. Mains: the duck breast was good, but the sides were inedible. The flat iron steak was overwhelmed by the teriyaki sauce, and the sweet potato just bland. The cornish hen was undercooked, inconsistent, and covered with an overwhelming peppery barbecue sauce. The sides were again inedible. Desserts, the donuts were overwhelmed by the strawberries and the chocolate sauce, and the cheesecake was okay unless the caramel sauce came in contact with it. Then it was a diabetic coma, overly sweet. This was our last trip there.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Anywhere, USA
“Nice find but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stopped over in Cocoa after a long drive from the keys and found this restaurant on Trip Advisor. We consider ourselves foodies and appreciate a very good meal. We arrived without reservations around 8:15 and the restaurant was less than half full. We were dressed in road trip clothes while most of the patrons of this restaurant were dressed up. That could be why the owner left us standing in the waiting area without acknowledging us for over ten minutes. She offered to sit us in the library (just off the entrance away from the other diners) again perhaps because of our attire. We were about about to leave as we had been waiting now about 15 minutes when Laura (the owner) brought the set up for our table - we decided to stay and give it a try - i'm so glad we did.

The menu changes daily - we ordered a starter (braised pork belly over grits) and it was absolutely delicious. We also had two different salads comprised of locally sourced vegetables, both were unusual but also very tasty. I had the flat iron steak with the yummiest mashed potatoes i've had in some time and my husband had a pasta dish that was unlike any pasta dish we have ever had and we both enjoyed it very much. The meal was terrific and our server (Dante?) was fabulous. Laura even seemed to warm to us as the evening went on.

Overall, I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a great meal with a unique blend of flavors. My only criticism would be that the owner should have acknowledged us when we walked in and let us know that she would be with us shortly. We may not have been the best adorned guests of the evening but our money spends the same as those in sport coats and we should have been treated as valued guests rather than people who may not have been able to afford a meal there based on our attire.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
MerrittsTable, Owner at Merritt's Table, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you very much for posting your review. We're really glad you enjoyed the meal. I do want to apologize for the initial wait - I like to greet and seat everyone personally, and sometimes I'm pulled in too many directions. You've given me a great reminder that I need to learn to delegate! Please know that I have no recollection of how you were dressed that evening - our dress code at Merritt's Table is "come hungry and happy." We just care that we serve you the best possible meal and that you enjoy yourselves. The library is the most coveted table in the restaurant - I thought you would enjoy the intimacy. Also, with later seatings, as the restaurant empties, the closer you are to the kitchen, the more background noise you can hear as they're cleaning up. I always try to seat later reservations at a distance from the kitchen to ensure that you're not bothered by our clatter. I guess my greatest personal disappointment with your dining experience with us is that I did not spend enough time getting to know you, discovering your concerns and responding personally to them that evening. We're honored that you chose to dine with us, and we hope to see you on your next trip through Brevard County. - Laura
Cocoa, FL
“Locally sourced foods, great wines, intimate atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Situated in an old historic house in a quiet part of Merritt Island, just blocks from the causeway, Merritt's Table is a treasure! My husband surprised me by taking me for the first time on our anniversary last week and we were given a small private room, "The Library", filled with cookbooks and language books that underscore the passions of the owners. The Space Coast is very fortunate to have attracted them; Laura and Chris are a great pair - he's the chef extraordinaire and she's the organizer, manager and hostess. They create a wonderful dining experience. Delicious, creative food, using whatever ingredients are locally available at the time. We enjoyed fabulous salads with the freshest ingredients and much pzazz as well as great seafood dishes combined with marvelous vegetables and imaginative sauces. And then the desserts - wow! Perfect evening.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Grasonville, Maryland
“Best Duck I have ever had!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

A colleague and I stopped into Merritt’s Table after finishing a long day. Merritt’s came recommended from a local friend and we figured we would give it a shot. It is located in a quaint 1920-30s era neighborhood. We arrived about 7:30 and there were only 2 other tables in uses. Laura our host who we found later to be the owner was prompt and very attentive. She explained the menu which looks to change daily based around availabilities. We selected a very nice 2008 Jonata Todos, Laura mistaken it for a Napa but it was Santa Barbra all the way. Not many of the smaller Santa Barbra wines make it this far east.

I selected the blue cheese appetizer and the roasted duck over puréed sweet potatoes. The cheese was fantastic with candies walnuts and honey, I could have used a few more nuts to finish but it was fine. My duck was terrific! I have a funny habit of saving what I like the best for last so this dinner confused me because it was all great. The duck and puréed sweet potatoes went so well together. For desert I had a daily special that was very good but I’m sorry I only remember that is was made with goat cheese, very sweet and had a cookie on top.

My colleague had the flat iron steak and he was very pleased. I can’t wait to go back. Laura recommended next time to make reservations but they were not needed the Tuesday evening we visited. My dinner less the wine was just under $50.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Brevard Top 5”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I had dinner here for the first time and felt impressed to spread the word. Food was fantastic as well as April our server. Great date nite thank you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere