“The best B&B we have ever stayed in !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Port d'Hiver Bed and Breakfast

Save Saved
You added Port d'Hiver Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Port d'Hiver Bed and Breakfast
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   201 Ocean Avenue, Melbourne Beach, FL 32951   |
Special Price
Get one night free!
London
“The best B&B we have ever stayed in !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Port d'Hiver is the best bed and breakfast we have ever stayed in and sets the standards that all other such places should adopt. Service was amazing – nothing was to much trouble. It started the moment we arrived with Matt greeting us in the car park, showing us around and then carrying our heavy luggage up to the Indian River room on the first floor. It’s a lovely light, airy room with a king size bed that had a personal greeting card on it to welcome us. There's also a nice bathroom, with complimentary L'Occitane shampoo, soap etc which has a large bath / Jacuzzi that was much bigger than you find in most USA hotel rooms. At 5pm we were invited for drinks and canapés which was a great opportunity to meet other guests and to discuss where was best for dinner which Matt then booked for us. Glasses were refilled a number of times which helped make this an enjoyable social occasion on both the evenings we stayed at Port d'Hiver.

Breakfast started with fresh fruit and some form of homemade cake that was still warm from being freshly baked along with tea, coffee and fresh fruit juices. Then there was a choice of at least two ‘special’ cooked breakfasts each day though we stuck to the eggs, bacon and toast as these seemed rather large meals for us. We couldn’t manage the homemade cake but this was always wrapped for us to eat later. Freshly made cookies were also available at anytime throughout the day along with tea and coffee. Each evening our bed was turned down when another freshly baked treat would be left for us.

Port d'Hiver will also provide you with any beach furniture (the beach is just over the road) you need including chairs, parasol – even a bucket and spade if you want to made some sandcastles ! We made use of these on our last day especially as we didn’t have to leave for the airport until 5pm and prior to our leaving we were able to shower (outside) and change in the restroom as suggested by the staff. Then there was the missing map – I couldn’t find my road map so Matt rang the maid but she hadn’t seen it so he kindly produced some Google directions with a map so that we wouldn’t get lost (I’m sorry to say that I found the map in my suitcase when I got home !).

Why can’t all B&B’s be like Port d'Hiver ?

237 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have so many nice things to say about Port D'Hiver B&B! My husband and I chose to stay a night for Valentine's Day as a treat and we are so glad we did! We live in Orlando and decided to make a short drive to Melbourne Beach to get away for a mini vacation. The staff made our accommodations very special for us. I let them know we love the beach, they had Jack Johnson music playing in our room (the Sunrise room) when we arrived.

We went to the "happy hour" that was offered and we are glad we went. It was nice chatting with other guests. We had some cocktails, snacked on flat bread, fruit and cookies! Their cookies are wonderful, by the way. After we returned from dinner we found red velvet brownies on our turned down bed. We took advantage of the heated pool (it was heated like a hot tub for this time of year), after we returned from dinner and I'm so glad we did. Their snack area by the pool is very nice, too. It has drinks and snacks you can get at anytime which is great. Also, I would like to add that I had intentions of planning a special beach dinner picnic for my husband, but the weather was not on our side. The staff happily gave us many options for dinner recommendations in the area and made our reservation for us at the Chart House. We're glad we had them make it for us, because their restaurant was booked (on Valentine's day night) otherwise! The restaurant told us they make special exceptions for Port D'Hiver guests. The breakfast in the morning was outstanding. We requested to have breakfast on our balcony in our room and ordered the french toast which was great! Fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit and the hash brown casserole was a nice touch, too.

Overall, we had a wonderful experience! Our room was very clean. The towels were nice and plush. I could not find anything wrong with our room or the B&B. I now know the difference why staying at a Bed & Breakfast like Port D'Hiver is a better choice than your average hotel. Great customer service, treatment and amenities is why we'll come back! I recommend this B&B to anyone, especially a couple trying to reconnect or spend some alone time together as a couple (a couple in the room next to ours got engaged the night we stayed there!).

washington, dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

On a long road trip, we decided to skip Miami this time and look for a quieter ocean community and someplace w/in 100 miles of the auto train. After reading several reviews, we chose Port d'Hiver. Note to other proprietors, when you get a bad review, be careful how you respond to the reviewer. We almost chose another property in Melbourne Beach, but the owner's crabby responses to reviewers were a turn off.
So, the Port d'Hiver was the best choice, by far. We were greeted and given the full tour right away. Loved our Yellow Room and the porch. Relaxed in the big outdoor hot tub a couple times. Don't miss their happy hour. Drinks and food aplenty. And they are happy to make dinner recommendations and reservations for you. One night we went across the street to the amazing grocery store (great deli, gourmet foods, and wines) and got dinner, which we ate on our porch.
The beach is also across the street. A lot is included in the price. We went down to the always- open snack room, got a little cooler, put in a couple free drinks and snacks, got a couple complimentary chairs, towels, and umbrellas and headed over to the beach. Another day we asked to use bikes (free) and they sat out most of the day waiting for us, but we eventually went for a ride around the neighborhood.
Turn down service was nice with more ice for the evening and a different baked goodie left on the bed.
And now to breakfast: Fantastic. Generous. Delicious. You can have coffee delivered before you go down for breakfast or you can have both delivered. We had breakfast brought to our porch one morning.
We originally booked for two nights, decided it wasn't enough, changed our train reservation, and stayed a third night at the Port d'Hiver.
The rooms are super clean. Linens are expensive and lovely. The staff is professional and upbeat, and it is obvious they work as a team. As soon as you request something the information is passed along immediately.
The bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom and the toiletries were high-end and even included bath salts for the jacuzzi.
Parking was easy and we felt safe in Melbourne Beach and the gated Port d'Hiver compound.
We felt like we got value for the price, since they don't nickel dime you for amenities.
The room was appointed with nice furniture and beautiful floor to high ceiling, silk drapes.
We would love to return to this property. There is an attention to detail that is much appreciated.

Room Tip: Rooms over the parking are have less road noise. But the rooms closer to the road have views of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ft. Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at Port d'Hiver during President's Day weekend, 2013! My experience with them began before I even arrived. I booked and paid for my room (the Yellow Room) 4 months in advance. I let them know that I was planning a surprise for my husband's birthday and that 4 other couples would be joining us for the weekend. We also had food restrictions, so we asked for a meat-alternative to bacon/sausage. As the time neared, I called to add an in-room massage for my husband(I ended up having to cancel it later). They were very accomodating and contacted me by phone and email to confirm. They also confirmed my dinner reservations for me! The week before we were to arrive, they emailed and offered a complimentary room upgrade to their Carriage House Suite! They thought it would add to the surprise for my husband and thought it would allow for more space for his massage! Wow!!!! Of course, I accepted!

When we arrived(there was ample parking, unlike many B&Bs), we checked in and were given a tour of the grounds, while our luggage was taken to our suite. The house/grounds were beautiful! Everything was so cozy, intimate, and private, even though it's located on the corner of a somewhat busy street. They were still able to create privacy by putting up bamboo-like walls around the establishment.

Our suite was gorgeous, spacious, and well-appointed! It included a king-sized bed(so comfy), living room area, flat screen TV, huge bathroom with separate shower and jacuzzi tub! They paid such attention to detail that to greet us, there was a note welcoming us, on the bed. They even included an umbrella in the closet, along with bath robes! They offer comlimentary room service for breakfast, so we took advantage of that the first morning(so did the other couples who joined us). Again, the attention to detail was well noted! They didn't just bring you breakfast on a tray, they brought a table cloth and spread it out in the living room, setting it up with salt/pepper shakers and silverware, wrapped in napkins, with napkin holders! They also remembered our food restrictions and served us turkey sausage with our meal, instead of bacon/sausage. Remember, this is a B&B, not a hotel, but they managed to combine the best of both worlds under one roof! This is my 6th B&B and I've never had the choice of having room service, and complimentary at that! Even the fact that they had bellman service when we arrived, is unique! The B&Bs I've stayed in, usually don't have anyone to help you with your bags-You are pretty much on your own for everything.

The next day, we decided to go to Treetop Trek and do some zip lining for the first time! One couple did not go and decided to surprise us all with a late lunch in their room when we returned. The B&B staff helped by assisting them with the presentation. Again, the attention to detail was top of the line! They included tablecloths, and trays for the food, ice buckets for the wine-They turned their room into a mini restaurant buffet!

They also include a turn down service in the evenings, so our room was always nice and tidy when we returned from outings! They include a nice mini dessert on your bed wrapped in tulle! One night we had tasty brownies!!! Yummy! Again-Turn down service in a B&B???? Loved it!!!!!

Our last morning there, all 10 of us ate together. I reminded them that we would eat in the main dining room and was told that our table was already ready! When we went downstairs, we had a separate table that was set so beautifully!!! The breakfasts were plentiful, filling and delicious! We had broccoli quiche, spinach frittata, turkey sausage, turkey bacon, homemade blueberry muffin, homemade caramel french toast, potato pancakes, hashbrown casserole, homemade zuchinni bread, fruit, orange juice, hot chocolate...My mouth is watering as I reminisce!!!! My compliments to the chef!!! My compliments to the owner, Linda, and her hard working staff(especially Jen, who worked all weekend) for making our stay so memorable!!!! I highly recommend this B&B if you are ever in the Melbourne/Space Coast, FL area!!!!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms in the North or South Cabana, rather than the main house. Although, all the rooms a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Indialantic, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

It's not often that I review a place twice but I just have to say again how wonderful this place is! I stayed at the Port D'Hiver for a second time last month. We stayed in the Carriage Suite and it was one of the nicest weekends I have had in a long time. The bed, the tub, the food, the service ... all of it is fantastic. They really came through for us at the very last minute when our planned vacation to a B&B in Bedford, NY fell through. What could have been a ruined anniversary weekend actually ended up being perfect. Thanks again to Linda for taking such good care of us!

Room Tip: The Carriage Suite was gorgeous. It faces the road (and the ocean) so there is some light traffic n...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Port d'Hiver is an absolute diamond in the rough. We were told about this lovely bed and breakfast by a friend who continually raved over it. As a first year wedding anniversary I decided to take my wife to a nice little getaway. When I originally made the reservations we were in the Havana room but after receiving an email from the staff they upgraded me for free to the Indian River Room because it was our anniversary. This in itself spoke volumes to me about the staff at Port d'Hiver. When arriving we were given instructions on how to find our room because we were going to be getting in after office hours. To our surprise when we arrived a staff member was there to greet us and take us on a tour of the grounds before heading to bed, this mind you was at 11PM. The Indian River room was gorgeous. Beautiful lofted ceilings with a private balcony. The hot tub was a perfect way to end each night. The breakfast part of the stay was one thing I was worried about. I've stayed at bed and breakfast before and usually it is similar to a continental breakfast at a hotel, but not here. We had two different choices each morning which were freshly cooked. The food was fabulous from the fruit/coffee cake to the main dish. The staff would go out of their way to help you. Great location, right across from the beach. If you are expecting a crazy busy spring break/luxury like location, this is not it. It is a quiet coastal town for those who just want to get away and relax. If you are looking for more of a party scene Melbourne and Cocoa Beach are both a close drives. I would highly recommend this place and definitely plan on going back. I can honesty say there is not one negative about this place!

Herkimer, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Port d'Hiver is the only 4 diamond rated lodging in Brevard County, and it certainly lives up to its reputation. I've stayed there several times, and I always leave with regret, yet rested and renewed in body and spirit. This time my husband and I stayed in the Carriage Suite--the sounds of the ocean and the view of the sunrise made it so special. The owners are as friendly and accommodating as possible, and the gourmet breakfast selections more than satisfy.
From the soft sounds of Jack Johnson on the CD in our room, to the fluffy bathrobes, heated HUGE spa in a tropical setting, wonderful homemade cookies, complimentary wine/soft drinks/snacks and DVD library in the main house, we were pampered guests.
I cannot afford to visit as often as I'd like, but my annual birthday "special" which arrived via email allowed for a wonderful stay in the most luxurious suite--but at a bargain price. I bought a gift certificate for my daughter's 40th birthday, and I can only hope she enjoys this magical place as much as I do.

Room Tip: Rooms with sunrise views tend to be most popular, but you might consider that a walk across the stre...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Port d'Hiver Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!