“Another great lunch.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Rockledge, Florida
“Another great lunch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

The food: Today I had the Blackend Mahi Po Boy. The fish was FRESH and cooked perfectly. The bread was fresh. The house made aioli was fantastic.I like that their fries are cut with the skin still on. It is so nice to eat at a place that doesn't just use frozen food and stuff out of jars or cans.

The atmosphere: I enjoy sitting at the bar and actually watching the chef cook my food. As for the decor I like it. I can see how people could complain about the noise, but name a restuarant that isn't noisy. I personally prefer the clean look with a little more noise then the dingy/stained carpet that most places have.The only negative in my book is that I live to far away to enjoy The Seafood Place more often.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Melbourne, Florida
“don't think it's going to make it...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I was excited about trying this new restaurant in downtown Melbourne named The Seafood Place, but was not enamored. Very pricy and limited portions, and if you charge high end prices then you should be wearing something a little more high end, not scruffy jeans. The food was good, but way overpriced for what you received, the atmosphere was very sterile. The menu was very limited, you would think a place called the seafood place would have more seafood on the menu, not just the special of the day and could at least have salt and pepper on the table and serve bread or veggies with the entrée….

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne Beach, Florida
“Some decent favors BUT...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

If you want the short version, here it is.....Some nice flavors being developed but Too much money for too little food. There you have it.
If you want to know more read on.
We passed this place by several times before dining. Because looking in the window it is not a particularly inviting place to spend that kind of money on a meal. Very sterile.
Now we eat out ALOT and visit everything from "dives" to "decadent". We consider ourselves "foodies" and eating is a big part of our travels. And we don't mind "paying" for a good meal. With that being said I will bullet point our experience at The Seafood Place.
*Atmosphere - sterile and not particularly inviting, but clean
*Calamari appetizer - small and absolutely no salt. Very Bland in flavor and appearance. You have to have at least a little salt to make fried food palatable (maybe an overcompensation for previous posts) not even served with a lemon wedge or piece of parsley.
*Beet and Pear Salad - Ample amount of beet and pear for a small salad, however almost no goat cheese and mere hints of nuts. Barely even a decoration. Also with beets having such an earthy flavor, this salad needed more than the 4 little sprigs of arugula to brighten the plate both in flavor and appearance. This salad should have been sitting on a nice bed of arugula. I don't believe there was any dressing drizzled on this salad either.
*Swordfish special with fried gnocchi in a puttanesca sauce- this actually had a nice flavor. The sauce was very tasty but almost overpowered the swordfish. And for $28 it was a VERY small portion compared to other places we have dined. In addition the plate was not attractive to the eye when it came out. Red blobs on a white plate with nothing else at all. Nothing to invite you to begin eating with the eye. I usually take pictures of the food we receive because that's what "foodies" do. Nothing to take a picture of here.
*Scallops with butternut squash and green beans - Nice Flavor, very tasty, scallops were nicely prepared, not over or undercooked. HOWEVER, there were only 3! The butternut squash was quite delicious but MAYBE a tablespoon full in a smear across the plate which made for a nice presentation but the menu leads one to believe that it is actually a vegetable that comes with the dish rather than just a small condiment to complement the scallops. And the green beans with pork belly... Awful! The little pieces of pork belly were nice and had a good flavor but the green beans had absolutely NO flavor and were rubbery. And I don't mean they were al dente. Now I can eat just about anything but I could not eat the green beans. Then when the server and the person who came and took our plates away asked me why I didn't eat my green beans I told them. They apologized but did not offer to bring me anything in its place. SO... For $20 I had 3 scallops and a tablespoon of butternut squash. This made me unhappy.
*Server Kyle - very friendly and pleasant. Liked him! (Except for the not offering me a real vegetable in place of the so called green beans)
The place has some potential but needs to soften the decor a bit. There are some really good favors being developed but the balance is a little off as well as the portions REALLY need to be more comparable with the prices.

Visited December 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Mixed reviews, but we loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

There seem to be very mixed reviews of this restaurant, but we were impressed with both the food and the service. We visited for lunch on a November Saturday and were the first to arrive. Kyle was our server and he was friendly, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic about what they had to offer. We had the crab cake as an appetizer. My husband had fish tacos and said he does not want to get them from anywhere else in the future because these were so good. I had a lobster po' boy, and thought it was delicious. We shared a piece of key lime pie for dessert, and Matt the owner came out to "toast" the topping. A few reviewers commented about the décor, but we liked it, especially the yellow triangles on the ceiling. What we noticed is that it was clean. Really clean.
The food might be slightly more than you would pay at another similar place, but we felt the quality and care was worth it. On a separate note, on they day that we were there, they were offering a venison dish because Kyle's brother had shot a deer somewhere up north and they express shipped the meat to the restaurant. Personally, I like the idea of a chef who can customize to the fresh ingredients made available, rather than cranking out the same stuff with no personal touch or creativity. We'll be going back!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“My Advice: Don't Go”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Before a recent vacation to the Melbourne area I researched the top restaurants on TA and when my wife wanted seafood for lunch on a recent weekday, we to the top rated one, called ‘The Seafood Place’, which is right in downtown historic Melbourne. Three other top rated places (not seafood) are within a stone’s throw of this place: Meg O’Malley’s Restaurant and Irish Pub, The Dove III and Kilwin’s. Stepping into The Seafood Place we were immediately surprised and a little put off by the industrial feel of this small place: very austere interior with wood and metal chairs and a hard tile floor. The one and only host/server/bartender/busboy greeted us right away and seated us pretty quickly. We waited maybe 10 minutes to order. I had the lobster bisque and fish tacos with one of the day’s catches, red snapper. My wife also had the snapper but on a Po Boy. The bisque came out almost right away, and was served with nothing: no bread, crackers, nada. The bisque itself was mediocre. Very heavy cream flavor and a little, but not a lot, of lobster flavor. At that point we sat and waited another 35 minutes to be served, and watched two different patrons who came in after us get served first: in one case, the gent completed his meal and left while we were still waiting. When our food finally arrived, it was OK but certainly not up to the hype we saw in several TA reviews. The fish in the tacos and on the Po Boy was good, but the home-made taco shells were a disappointment and the accompanying black beans and rice were cool and not very flavorful. My wife’s Po Boy was small and had essentially nothing on it but the fish and a small amount of remoulade sauce. It was a rip off at $15. The fries served with it were soggy and limp. The interior noise in this place is a problem too. Since there is no soundproofing whatsoever in the décor, even one loud guest makes for a great deal of background noise. I can’t imagine how loud it must be when they are full. The server was very friendly and had a great attitude; I rated the service low not because of him but because it took so long to get our food. Admittedly I don’t know Melbourne very well but as of this review The Seafood Place is the top rated seafood restaurant on TA. I find it very hard to believe that it is truly the best. As you probably guessed by now, we won’t be back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere