“THE Best Place for Fish in Brevard County!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Orlando, Florida
“THE Best Place for Fish in Brevard County!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

When we first moved here we searched high & low for good seafood with Very disappointing results! We just couldn't believe, being right on the coast that there was so little good seafood. We were soooo happy when we found Grills! It is now one of our absolute favorite restaurants & it's the one place we have taken all of our friends & family members when they come to visit. When you go, you should sit out back & enjoy the views & sea breeze! The outdoor, water view deck seating is first come, first serve. When you get there you walk out back & grab a table when it comes available. It's a great place to go with the family, friends or even as a couple. But there aren't any small tables for 2 outside. The indoor dining room is very nice too & has much of the same views if you prefer to be inside.
I'll be honest, the alcoholic drinks are mediocre and very obviously made from pre bottled mixes, but that's not why you come to Grills. You come to Grills for the FISH!! The File Fish to be exact. It is a local fish you can't get just anywhere & it is amazing!! I have taken fish lovers & people who aren't really big on fish & Every One of them has raved about the File fish! Whatever they put on it to season it is really flavorful! I also really love the black beans & coconut rice, and my husband loves the Tahitian taters.
Grills has a 2nd restaurant up in Port Canaveral near the cruise ships that we visited once. Only once because we were honestly disappointed. It's smaller, much more crowded & didn't have that same great atmosphere. But most of all, the food just wasn't as good, across the board. So we stick with the one in Melbourne.

• Visited December 2012

Connecticut
“Sit by the river with a beer ..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great place to have a draft beer and watch the water. The food ( fries and onions rings) was good but it was the view that wins the day. Service was great too..It goes great with a boat trip on Dolfun Tours.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio
“A Pretty Good Mahi Mahi Fish Sandwich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and another couple stopped by this riverside restaurant after a nice day of touring the barrier islands. The sunny afternoon was pleasant. We ate inside but had a fantastic view of the river. Even though it was crowded on a Saturday afternoon, we were seated promptly and the wait staff was very accommodating and efficient. My wife and I both had the Mahi Mahi fish sandwich which came with potato chips and a dill pickle. My friend had a Mahi Mahi reuben which seemed good too. My meal was very good and reasonably priced. We toured the premises: Tiki Bar and wooden sidewalks along the river's wharf. I recommend this place.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Twinsburg, Ohio
“Outstanding lunch with a 'Tiki' atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Went for a group lunch. This is waterfront, with a great view. Dining in or out, and a Tiki bar.
We chose to eat inside as it was slightly below normal tempature, I ordered a grilled Mahi fish sandwich. If you can describe a fish sandwich as wonderful, this would be the one! Deliciously prepared, ample size on a very pleasant roll. I wish I would have ordered a cup of the Bahamian Fish chowder. Others in our party did, and raved about it. It looked absolutely great.
Service was satisfactory, as we were seated, waited, and served promptly. Great place for lunch, and also looked like it might be a great Tike experience.

Melbourne, Florida
“Finally Got Around to It; So Glad I Did”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This place is literally a few miles from my house up along the river on US-1. I had seen the building but never knew that this is what it was.

As we pulled up, we saw the inside seating area and the deck, which is all kind of vast. The building and its property are enormous. At early evening its considerable parking was also kind of packed, and I saw plenty of nice cars which led me to assume why I had never been there.

This is the big barrier of entry. This isn't a place to eat if you don't have money. It's at least 10-20%. That doesn't mean that it isn't worth it; it's at least 30-40% fresher and tastier, more unique and more fun than any other casual dining or theme restaurant you'd otherwise be spending your money on.

I can't speak with veracity on claims of how the food is prepared, but aside from being inventive, it all tastes like it was made fresh, with a proper cook and his team dictating how everything is to be prepared. And it all comes out that way, in a reasonable time!

Our server also didn't look like a server, or like she was clearly associated with the place in any way, but she had a good mostly sincere attitude, only screwed up one drink order (a nitpick, having ice when asked for none, which she later corrected without having to be told) and facilitated our meal in a timely manner.

One of the "big sells" of this place though is its location. They are both proud and excited to have gotten the property, you will read on the menu, and its shows -- you will be too! Everything is really open and spacious; inside the ceilings are high and outside there are little coves or "sub-areas" to break off into. There's a nice bar and a space for live music, and don't forget that it's all waterfront.

The TVs if you need them as a sports fan, and are numerous, but it isn't ridiculous like Beef of Brady's; if you want them they are there, but they're not obnoxiously in your way, and they seem to have chosen fewer larger ones over many home-sized ones.

Later into the evening, as we were leaving, they got a few huge parties and I was astonished to see that, while the place was PACKED...people stacked on top of people...it literally felt like half the city was there...I never once felt closed in, claustrophobic, or like it was tough to move around. And everyone else seemed just as chilled and relaxed as we were. Not to mention, there were two of us, and because initially they had room we were given a proper table and not forced into some two-seater Wendy's booth hidden in a corner somewhere.

It's not the sort of thing I could do often, however worth it that it might be, but I am happy to know about it and have had such a nice experience, because now I have one more for the arsenal when people ask about some place to dine when they're in our area.

• Visited January 2013