“quaint little cuban resto” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 359 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: It comes up on a google search. Urbanspoon has a listing for it.
florida
“quaint little cuban resto”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I decided to check this place out after having passed by it several times and saw lots of cars parked and people dining outside. To us, that means it must be good to be that packed with people. And after checking out reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided to give it a try. Having never had real and proper Cuban food before, this was our first. For dinner, they open at 5pm so come early because they get full really quick and parking is hard to come by. We decided to dine inside (they have a cute little patio for outside seating). I loved the mixed wall decor and the homey feeling. The place is small and a little on the tight side, but that makes it homey. You can see the chefs cooking by the bar with the conga seats. Service was excellent. Our server was very much engaged and helpful in explaining to us what the menu was. I tried their red sangria and it was just the way I liked it! We had the tostones rellenos for appetizers. Hubby liked it. I think it was too heavy for me to be an appetizer but it was okay. I had the Hemingway Rice which was like a paella dish and my husband had the masas de puerco fritas. I was a bit disappointed with mine because I am a paella lover and this dish did not meet my expectations. Maybe this was the Cuban style? I found it too salty and the rice was sticky and all clumped together with the seafood. My husband loved his. Then we had the tres leches for dessert which was also okay. Hubby had the cortadito coffee which he swears is the best ever! He said he would come back for the coffee. There was live music as it was a weekend. I would come back for the laid back ambience, the service, the sangria and maybe try another dish?

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Barnegat, New Jersey
“Great food but kitchen was un nervingly slow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We went with a group of 15 and the staff insisted they could handle the crowd. The food, ambiance and such were great but when four people get served at 8, another 5 get served at 8 20 and the rest at 9, it is hard to fathom how a restaurant can not serve all these Meals at the same time. I had the fried pork special and it was great, but again, would have liked to share a meal not eat in shifts. I would go back but with a smaller party

Visited September 2013
garrison, ny
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My coworker and I stumbled on this place by accident after finding a menu in the training facility where we were attending classes. We decided to try it out and were so glad that we did. We walked in 5 minutes before they were supposed to close but they welcomed us in and told us to stay. Everything we ate was absolutely incredible. Just wonderful authentic Cuban food! The mojitos were delicious, the yuca fritas was out of this world and the cuban style roasted pork was as delicious as my grandmother's. The portions were large and the price was incredible. I would've paid twice what they charged and not blinked. We loved it so much that we went back again for dinner the next night. The service again was incredible and they even gave us complementary flan for being loyal customers! Overall this is a truly wonderful hidden gem that I would return to again and again.

Visited September 2013
Malabar, Florida
“Better than family ;)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

is a fantastic restaurant, I'm 1st born generation in the states of Cuban parents, but you don't have to be Cuban to enjoy this restaurant.

The food, the ambience, it's like being at your cool uncle's house -- only there's nothing sketchy and no family drama. ;) Haha!

Alfredo is very attentive, and as the owner, it spills over to the whole staff! Very amicable, exceptionally attentive, really.

I am insulin dependent diabetic, and he gave me one of a kind attention to detail. I asked if he could guess how much rice would come with the meal, and in the end he measure my serving exactly in a measuring cup.

Not only did I enjoy crispy-on-the-outside juicy-on-the-inside roast pork, with black beans, rice, and sweet plantains, but courtesy of knowing exactly how much rice I ate, I gave myself insulin for it, with no worries. [ Your ability to estimate glucose may vary ]

Excellent excellent excellent!

I find it hard to rate from a "$" perspective because during the day its great for a quick lunch, but many of my co-workers go there for dates at night!

They play live music as well too! Excellent ambience, hence the name.

~Alex

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great place, great food, great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

El Ambia Cubano is one of my favorite restaurants in the Melbourne area. The owner is a dynamic individual with a great story to tell. Ask about the airline pilot jacket hanging on the wall. The food is excellent. I highly recommend the Pollo Asado and the Maduros. The Mojitos are great as well. It is a small restaurant, but with a great staff, the atmosphere is wonderful as well. The pricing is very affordable as well.

• Visited August 2013