“Good hotel for short family vacation stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
A Getaway for 2
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Melbourne
Magnolia, Texas
“Good hotel for short family vacation stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

My family of 4 stayed here for 2 nights before boarding a cruise ship in Port Canaveral (only about 20 minutes away). We were on the 6th floor with a suite that had two rooms and two bunk beds in a small hallway that was perfect for our teenagers. The rooms were spacious and clean and the bedding comfortable. We did miss having a DVD player and had to go to great measures to hook up a portable one. The burgers and fish sandwich are good at the pool bar. There was a noisy group next to us and the management was kind enough to provide a free breakfast for our inconvenience. It was only mildly annoying as the hotel is solid built. The only bad drawback to this place was that the beautiful beach right in front of the hotel has a long narrow rock formation near where the waves were crashing. A real drag for my skim boarder and boogie boarder. However, Sebastion Inlet Beach, our favorite beach in the US, is only about 15 minutes south. We had a very pleasant experience, overall and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

We arrived about 1:00 PM on 07/25/2007. Check-in was at 4:00, but they had a room ready and checked us in early. Our room was on the 15th floor (out of 16). We had asked for a high room, so this was good. Our room was a 2 room suite, TV in each room. Bathroom was small, no room to put things out on the counter. The best part was the "Sleep Number Bed". For those who don't know, you can select the firmness of your mattress. The lamps in the bedroom did not have an outlet to plug into. The front desk took care of this when we called. We had a small fridge, microwave and a coffee maker. The ice machines are only on 3 floors out of 16, not acceptable! We went down to the beach to find you have to rent your beach chairs and umbrella. That was expected, however most places will give you a discount if you rent late in the afternoon. This one did not. So we rented from 2:30 to 5:00 for full price. They closed at 5:00. The snack bar also closed at 5:00. Understand in Florida this time of the year you would be on the beach until probably 8:00 PM. For those who go there for swimming, the pool was great but don't count on the beach. There is a dead coral reef not more than 20 feet into the surf at low tide. The reef is 6 miles long! You would need to swim at high tide to avoid the reef.

There were many good places to eat near by, the better places were expensive. If you don't mind the price, eat at the Mango Tree in Coco Beach. It was wonderful.

On the morning of our check-out we wanted to have breakfast at the hotel so we could get an early start. There were four other couples when we arrived and we ordered from the menu. However after 45 minutes we were not served, so we left. Would we go back? Maybe because the bed was great!

Stayed July 2007
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

We stayed friday & saturday nights as my husband was on business. The ambience was lovely. Our room was great!!
They are an all suites with beautiful ocean views. The wet bar/microwave/refridge area was a real plus for me as I always have leftovers from restaurants. This is not a tourist trap area and without car you are kinda stuck as most everything up and down beach are condos. This hotel has several great location issues. It is across from Walmart plaza and there is friendlys icecream within walking distance. You can walk to Hilton or Crowne plaza and check out their "tiki" bars as the pool bar here is lame and only open 12-5. One gripe is if you want to lie in a chair on beach $8.00 from some dude renting them. Two chairs and umbrella $25.00 and they close way before sunset. I'm used to a high end hotel provinding beach chairs. The food was very expensive. I did wind up having Sunday brunch $9.95. It was pretty bad (the biscuit not edible). If you want a little night life there is cool bar next door where lots of locals hang. So Stay here for a GREAT room and friendly service. Bring your own chair and eat out. Smokey bones was wonderful restaurant about 15 mins away.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The food and no beach chairs.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

My wife and I spent a week here in May of 2006. They were in the process of renovating the hotel, so there were several things that were out of working order at the time...i.e. there were only two working ice machines in the entire hotel.

We had a room on the 15th floor. Nice room, very clean. The view and sound of the ocean makes this a awesome place. We are very simple when it comes to vacations...all we want to do is sit on the beach and do nothing...so this place was perfect. The beach was not crowded, and the people were friendly. There are some decent restaurants in the area, but make the short drive up to CoCo beach for better ones.

Only really bad notes: 1) my wife broke a glass on the floor accidentally...we cleaned up the big pieces, but the floor was never swept while we were there, so we had to wear flip-flops in the room for the rest of the week. 2) the refridgerator worked but all the shelves were broken out of it inside.

All in all, a good place to relax for a week.

• Liked — beach, view
  • Disliked — needs upgrading
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boyce, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2007

Stayed on the 14th floor, the view was fantastic, the room was very clean and very nice furniture. Had dinner in the hotel restaurant. The service was great as was the food. The staff was great. Have already made reservations for the Easter holidays.

• Liked — view of the ocean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2007

The Good?

The property is perfectly situated on a very long beach. You could walk for miles if you wanted to. The hotel is an all suite property which is great when travelling with kids. There is a microwave and a fridge in the room as well. All rooms are oceanfraont and the sounds of the waves will lull you to sleep.

The Bad?

Even though I was advised that the entire hotel has been renovated I was initially put into a room that looked like it hadn't been overhauled since the 70's. There were burn marks on the carpet and mold in the showers (rooms 401 and 403). I did ask front desk to move me into a renovated room which the promptly did. Room 709 was much nicer. The fridge was broken and the toilet was running nonstop but again these matters were promptly dealt with by the front desk. I had another room as well and the air conditioning broke down at 7pm and since the problem could not be fixed for days, my parents and child that was in that room had to move again.

The Ugly?

When I called to speak with the General Manager I was delt with in an extremely rude way. He told me he was "sick" of me calling him with complaints. Buddy, if you don't want complaints, then keep your hotel in working order for pete's sake! There was a problem with my bill as well. When I called the GM again, he basically said "if you want to get out right now, I will waive the charges". So I did. I was booked for 6 nights but left after 3 nights. I will not stay any place I am not welcome.

I went to another property in Miami and had an amazing stay.

Overall, the property is ok, but if you have a problem, then heaven help you!

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — The General Manager
  • Tips/Secrets — Wait until the General Manager gets fired
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2007

We are frequent travelers to the Space Coast area staying at many of the Cocoa Beach hotels over the last 10 years. This is our first time at this Radison. It has its good and bad. The best has to be location right on the beach, all rooms face the beach with nice big balconies and chairs. The weather was great when we were there so we slept every night with the sliding doors open. The sound of the ocean crashing on the beach below was better than any relaxation CD I have listened to. The hotel had just finished remodeling from the hurricanes so everything was new. My only few gripes are that our room was totally clay tiled on the floor, no biggie but they did not mop it on a daily basis. So when we came back to our room at night from the beach or pool I would just use their pool towels to quickly mop it. Also the restaurant was not open yet except for a makeshift one in a banquet room. The prices were out rageous. Best remedy for this was the Walmart and Grocery next door. We would walk over there and get donuts or fruit and lunchmeat bring it back to our room and eat there for breakfast and lunch. Our room had a microwave and fridge along with coffee. All in all this hotel is very nice and is on a very quiet but rocky/coral part of the beach. We spent most of our days at the beach below, leaving our stuff on the beach while we were upstairs eating lunch. We would definitely stay here again and actually are making reservations for spring 2007. Oh one other small draw back there are not a whole lot of places to eat near by but Cocoa Beach is just a 15min drive up the beach.

• Liked — Location on the beach
  • Disliked — Clay tile floors that were not mopped on a daily basis
  • Tips/Secrets — Use grocery next door for breakfast and lunch; drive to Cocoa Beach for dinner
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Radisson Suite Hotel Oceanfront? Share your experiences!