“Perfect Mother's Day Dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
“Perfect Mother's Day Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We hadn't planned to go to this restaurant today, but I'm sure glad we did. We were promptly seated and promptly greeted by our server. I wish I could remember his name because his service was exceptional. I usually order the crab cakes, but decided to try something different this time. My friend and I each ordered the same thing, 10 oz. Prime Rib & Bahamian lobster tail, both perfectly cooked. I wasn't too impressed by the salad, and neither of us touched the little loaf of bread, Portions were spot on. Atmosphere is family friendly with a great view of Pine Island Sound. I highly recommend this restaurant, it's a mainstay of our area and a favorite must-go when our friends come to visit.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nicole M, General Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
I am so glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day. We did too. I will look through the checks and try and find out who your server was so that I can let him and you know. I look forward to having you again. Make sure you stop and say hi when you do. Better yet, let me know before we seat you and we will try and get you to that server!!

Cape Coral, Florida
“a place to take friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

As locals, after trying many restaurants, we find the Sandy Hook to be our favorite place to eat. The service is timely, the servers friendly, and the food is excellent, especially the prime rib, although I have never been disappointed in any of the fish dishes. Awesome cracked conch! The bar prices are exceptionally reasonable, and so are the dinners. Whenever we have friends from out of state visit us, it is a must place for us to take them. The view is the crowning touch!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nicole M, General Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We really appreciate are wonderful customers like you that take time out to rate us. Hope no one fell in the pool and we hope to see you again soon.
Howard Lake, Minnesota
“Thought the food was great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Just returned from a dinner here, and I, as well as the other 8 guests thought the food and atmosphere were really good. I would definitely return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you Kelly for your review. I am glad everyone at the table enjoyed their time here and we look forward to seeing you again.
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Nice view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful view across Charlotte Harbor, but the food is fairly typical tourist waterfront. I had the rib eye because friends warned me that the fried seafood was often a little overdone an on the greasy side. We had the onion ring appetizer and it was 80% batter, 10% grease and 10% onion. Several in our party had the prime rib and thought it was good. I had the rib eye. It was a tasty cut and only slightly overdone. The French fries were cold and soft. They tasted like they had been fried a few hours ago and reheated in the microwave. They were inedible. My wife had the fried shrimp and they were acceptable but not worth$15.

The coleslaw was good. The salad was barely presentable, the lettuce had an off taste and it looked like someone had stacked the salads on top of each other. They obviously make them up well ahead of time and they taste like it. They serve the classic mini bread loaf on a bread board with those little butter in little plastic covered tubs. It looks like bread anyway. Why restaurants serve bread like this after it was the rage in 1975 is beyond me.

If you want a nice view and are looking for an unsophisticated meal, this is right up your alley. If I take visitors here for the view, I'll try the hamburger.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Nicole M, General Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for visiting Sandy Hook. It was actually Matlacha Pass at which you were looking. I never get tired of that view!! I will work on the fried food aspect. That is not one that I have heard. As far as the onion rings are concerned, they are beer battered so yes, the breading is thicker. However, each one is individually hand battered and fried. While they may be a little greasy, they are one of the top requested appetizers we have. I know they are not for everyone. I will tell you one thing though. When you do come back I will tell you that are hamburgers are AWESOME!!
Toms River, New Jersey
“A very good place to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Just got home from Sandy Hook! There were four in our party! The Hostess seated us promptly-overlooking the water. Our server BILLY was EXCELLENT-he took our drink order and returned with it promptly AND CORRECTLY! He made some suggestions for dinner-they were good.My PRIME RIB (16 oz.-18.95) cooked perfectly.Everyone at the table got EXACTLY what they asked for. The wait staff was attentive without being bothersome.The ONION RINGS are some thing else-a must try! The ONLY negative was the LOCAL seafood ( Grouper) was slightly overpriced-but it is comparable to the other restaurants in the area. Actually it is a little cheaper than the Old Fish House Marina down the street.It is about a half hour drive from my house BUT WORTH the drive!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
I am so glad Billy took such great care of you. He is also an awesome cook!! Yes, those onion rings are really good. They are HUGE!! The price of Grouper will hopefully be coming down soon. For a time there it was even hard to get. Hopefully my husband can get his commercial boat out more often to help us out there. Thank you again for taking your time to review Sandy Hook. Make sure you ask for Billy next time you come in!