“A sane place in insane Matlache.” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Cape Coral
“A sane place in insane Matlache.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Good food, good service, reasonable prices with a bit of Old Florida flavor.
We have been going there for eight years. It is now a favorite of our family from up north. The nearby shops of Matlache are a tourist's delight.
Since being diagnosed a diabetic last November, they have done well serving meals I can eat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nicole M, General Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you so much. As we have a growing number of customers with various dietary needs, we are happy that we are able to accommodate you. I appreciate our wonderful customers that come year after year. I hope that while we are able to keep some of the items you have come to love that you are able to try some of our new items as well. Hope to see you soon and STAY HEALTHY!!

Cape Coral, Florida
“Nice for the View”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

A great place for the view, you may even get a couple of playing porpoise. But the food's mantra: "We've been here for 30 years so we must be good". Sorry, but it just doesn't play. Stick with something simple. Their fries are pretty good. The "fresh bread" isn't worth the effort of cutting. And that's about as good as it gets.

Visited April 2013
We appreciate your time in writing your review. I am sorry that we were not able to make you happy. While the restaurant has been here for over 30 years, we don't think that we don't have to do anything different to keep in the mix. Although we do change our menu every year, we do have a number of items that people come here for and would not want to loose. The bread you speak of is one of them. While it may not be everyone's favorite, I do have many, many quests that love the bread which is baked here almost every day (We are closed on Mondays). I hope that you will be willing to give Sandy Hook another try. I do think you will find that simply being here for a number of years isn't our only attribute!!
Sebastian, Florida
“eating out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We try to go there every few months because we enjoy the food and is reasonable, and we have never had any issues with the service

Visited January 2013
Nicole M, General Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so much. We try to do our best every day. Not saying that we haven't made mistakes. I encourage everyone to let us know right away if something is not right so we can fix it right then and there and have everyone leave happy and full!! We really appreciate customers like you that keep coming back. Not only is it what keeps us in business, but it makes our jobs more meaningful as well.
Springfield, Illinois
“Fried Food Everywhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I am not a fan of fried food and the menu was loaded with it. I choose Roast Duck the nightly special. It was very good. But I could not get over the amount of fried food coming out of the kitchen. So if your into this type food, it must be good because the sure sold a lot that night. I am sorry I cannot rate this higher. There was nothing that would make me want to return here with so many other options to choose from. I am not saying the food is not good it's just not for me. I did take a photo of the onion rings which were very big like donut size, but quite greasy.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I am glad that you enjoyed the roasted half duck. Anytime you want to come out for that, call us in advance and I can usually order it and get it in a day or two. Every night is different. Some nights we sell lots of fried food and others we don't. We do try to make everyone happy. Even though some things on the menu are listed as fried, you can always asked for them to be broiled, sauteed, blackened, etc. We just don't have enough space on our menu to list everything we can do unless I made it many multiple pages. When you come out, ask your server or ask for me and we will gladly prepare most of our items to your individual tastes. Hope to see you soon!
“Ok, but would not go back.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Very nice location, very good service, clean bathroom, lots of parking. Food fair. Had broiled grouper, but nothing fancy on top... Just broiled. Was disappointed. I added salt & pepper to jazz it up. Didn't expect such plainness.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nicole M, Front Office Manager at Sandy Hook Fish and Rib House, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for taking time to let us know about your experience. We try to cater to everyone's needs. We have a number of guests that have always asked for healthier choices and that is why we offer the broiled option. We do have a number of different toppings listed on the menu such as ritz cracker, blackened, pecan encrusted or key lime style. We also try to run different fish specials with various toppings. P.S. The Key Lime is one of my favorites. I do hope that you will come back and try some of our other entrees. When you do, ask for me and I will tell you about some of the ones we can do that aren't even on the menu!!