“Only FL cave open to the public...” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Caverns/ Caves, Geologic Formations
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Walking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A cave complete with rock formations and bats.
Orlando, Florida
“Only FL cave open to the public...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the area overnight and stopped by the park in the morning before we got back on the road to New Orleans. It was well worth the time. I believe we were on the first tour that day (9:20am), as we read that it was important to get there early because tours fill up quickly. They only allow up to 25 people/tour, and when you get inside, you understand why.

From their site: "The park is open from 8:00 a.m. until sundown, 365 days a year. Cave tours are not available on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day." Cave tours start at 9:00 am.

Once we were on the tour, we were told that they get a lot of school groups in, so it may be a good idea to call ahead to make sure you're not in one of those groups, only because they advised it can get very loud in the caves with lots of small, excited children.

The scenery inside the cave is incredible - very other-worldly. Bring a camera that works well in low-level lighting. The tour guide gave great educational information, but if you're nerds like us and want to study up a bit beforehand, there's a quick video in the information center that gives all of the same information as the tour guide provides.

There are times where you have to bend down to get through lower areas, so you might want to do your back stretches ahead of time if you have issues. There were several older people on our tour, and I heard them complain a bit, but nothing that would preclude them from finishing the tour. It can get a little chilly, as you can imagine underground, so think about bringing a light sweater or jacket. I would probably stay away from wearing flip-flops if you can help it since there were some slightly wet/muddy areas.

We also ventured to another beautiful part of the park, near the horse camp. I would recommend allotting a little extra time to wander other areas of the park and trails.

Visited May 2013

Fort Pierce, FL
7 attraction reviews
“Really neat cavern!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had never been in a cavern before and thoroughly enjoyed the short tour through the one cavern at the Florida Caverns State Park. Bear in mind, there are more, however this is the only one they let anyone visit. The formations are absolutely spectacular! I couldn't help peering into the smaller tunnels along the side and wondering where they went. Due to flooding, the tour is a little shorter, however, we only missed one room and the price was dropped from $8 to $5. It was still worth going. The area was almost dried up though, so I should think that the entire tour should soon be available. If going on the trails later, bring bug spray; the mosquitoes were vicious! If you feel like swimming later, try Blue Springs Recreational Park! It's within a few miles of the park and swimming is available at the headspring, Jackson Blue Spring. The water is crystal clear, there is a lifeguard, playground, small sandy beach, diving board, slide, several pavilions, restrooms, showers, and a place to purchase food items. Best of all, the admission is only $2. Great way to cool off after visiting the Florida Caverns State Park!

Visited July 2013
Sarasota, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“A must see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have lived in Florida all my life and never knew that caverns existed. It was worth the trip! My teen aged girls loved it as we'll as walking the trails. The beauty is astonishing.

Visited July 2013
SW Florida
19 attraction reviews
“Now these are caves”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had just been to Carlsbad Caverns and were on our way home after 20 days on the road. Thought we would see Florida's only caves. We got there at 9 a.m. on a dry day, so they were open. these are not caverns in the sense of Mammoth or Carlsbad, but they are unique and the tour was great. Be prepared to bend over a lot. A camera with good low light capabilities is an asset. There was minimal flooding, so most of the caves were accessible. It was well worth the adventure.

Visited May 2013
Casselberry, Florida
14 attraction reviews
“Caves in FL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The tour was defiantly worth it, very friendly tour guide and other staff. Also you learn cave basics, about how the forms came about and whatnot. There are some fossils along the way, and each 'room' has different names based on what the formations look like. Defiantly worth the stop, I wish I had time to walk around the rest of the park. This park is also right at the point of time change! So keep that in mind when scheduling a tour, it threw me off.

Visited January 2013