“First time here, we'll be back” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Downers Grove, IL
“First time here, we'll be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My parents have been coming to Marco Island for many years and this is one of their favorites. So we finally decided to try it ourselves and it is wonderful. We went early for their early dining special (heard about that from the folks!) and it was a great deal. Large selection of entree choices and many starter options -- besides the usual soup or salad that normally comes with the entrees. The special also included dessert and all 3 courses were delicious. The service is wonderful as well. The only fault I could find is nothing to do with the restaurant -- there were two families dining together with very young kids who were really annoying. Why do people take 2 and 3 year olds to such a nice place? The kids whined and cried and got up and ran around throughout the meal and generally spoiled the evening for everyone else in the place as it is a small restaurant. Take your kids out for a casual meal until (if ever) they can sit quietly.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
Leeds
“What a find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Weve been to Marco Island 3 times now and only on this trip did we dine in the Island Cafe. Having read the previous reviews we decided to give the restaurant a try and Im so glad we did. On arrival Bill was very welcoming and sat us at our table. We ordered from the fixed price summer menu on our first visit which was excellent value for money. I chose the French Onion soup for starter and the grouper with crab for main course both were absolutely delicious. My father had the same meal and shared the same opinion and my mother chose a salad for starters for a lighter option and tournedos steak for main. The steak was cooked to perfection and so tender. As we enjoyed the first 2 courses so much unfortunately this left no room for dessert even though this was included in the price. Despite not being able to eat the included dessert it was still worked out good value for the quality of the dishes. We subsequently went another 2 occasions on our holiday and thoroughly enjoyed all our meals, especially the evening we were able to sit in the wine room. Thanks to Bill for a most enjoyable dining experience.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Nicest restaurant we went to on Marco Island.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I dined at the Island Cafe one evening when we had a rare night out without the kids. We were looking for a quiet place where we could have dinner and actually talk to one another, and this fit the bill nicely. I had the grouper with lemon butter sauce and my husband had shrimp and scallops: both dishes were well prepared and flavorful. Our Pot de Creme dessert was good also. They do have a children's menu but I would not have been comfortable taking my two year old there. It is great for a date night though. Our waiter was very friendly and the service was good. We would definitely return to the Island Cafe.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chesapeake, VA
“Quaint fine dining...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife & I found this restaurant on TripAdvisor, and decided to give it a go. We went late without a reservation, and even though the place was half full, the owner seemed surprised that we didn't have one. But she quickly and pleasantly seated us. Our server was fine but seemed rather distracted every time he came to check on us. The food...mine was excellent, a special for the night: Cobia. Great presentation and sides. Good thing because one thing that caught my eye on TripAdvisor was their signature dish, the Grouper, and they were out. My wife's dish wasn't up to expectations, a horseradish/panko coated tilapia. No horseradish could be detected and that left it rather bland. The chive mashed potatoes were quite attractive on the plate and good. All in all we will definitely go back the next time in Marco Island, but we'll make reservations and hope for a more attentive server.

Marco Island, Florida
“Pricey, pretentious, warmed over airline food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This tiny little bistro is pretty full of itself. Loved the welcome where the waiter/host whines whether we had a reservation as he stared across an empty dining room, sneering as he begrudgingly led us to a tiny table. Interesting menu, disappointing in every way. Miniscule appetizer portions reminiscent of baby food, watery soup, warmed over fishy entree, and indifferent service made this my least favorite restaurant on Marco. Don't get suckered into the desserts, you'd get better across the street in WinnDixie. Save yourself from this over-rated tourist trap and head down to Snook Inn, O'Donaghue's, or Joey's for some fabulous food at half the price.

• Visited November 2012