“Apollo Unit 604” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Apollo Condominiums

Save Saved
You added Apollo Condominiums to your Saves list
Apollo Condominiums
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   900 South Collier Boulevard, Unit 306, Marco Island, FL 34145   |
Evergreen, Colorado
“Apollo Unit 604”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed in this "Ocean Front" condo in April,2013 and what we saw was construction equipment on the beach right in front of the Apollo. The project ran 24 hours a day and the noise was non stop. A few hundred yards of beach was blocked off. According to Clausen Properties, the owner refused any reimbursement of the full rate we paid. We had not been notified in advance. Read a rental agreement and you'll see that the owner has numerous rights but the renter has none! The condo is adequate, nothing more. The drip pans on the stove looked like they've never been cleaned. The bathroom sink was stopped up and it took a few calls and days to have it fixed. None of our letters have brought any assistance. Check before you stay and try for another unit.

Room Tip: Check with the Chamber of Commerce re: construction activity
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I spent a week in a 1 bedroom unit at the Apollo. It was cozy (aka small) however it fully met our needs. What's most fantastic about the Apollo is every room has a full unobstructed view of the ocean. If you want to spend $2000-$3000 a week for a nice hotel room with nothing more than a bed, couch and a tv, and pay to park, then Apollo is not for you. On the other hand, if you want free parking, a condo furnished with a king bed, full living room and fully furnished kitchen for around $700 a week then don't hesitate to rent at the Apollo. We like being able to go to the grocery store, stock up on food for breakfast and lunch and be able to cook in our room. Some units even come equipped with beach towels, beach chairs, coolers, etc. You'll never get all of that at a hotel.

I've read a few reviews that say there is nothing to do on Marco Island and if you are under 50 you won't enjoy it. I beg to differ! My husband and I are in our late 30's and it's our favorite vacation spot. The Apollo is right on the beach, you can jet ski, take a catamaran ride or parasail. Naples is 20mins away, Miami is only 2 hrs away. There is a fantastic outlet mall about 30mins away. Marco Island itself has fantastic restaurants, comedy club, a movie theater and shopping within walking distance from the Apollo. The Everglades is only 45mins away if you enjoy gator watching :-)

Other great things about the Apollo are it's warm and clean pool with hot tub, work out room, tennis courts and the Sunset Grill restaurant right down stairs, it's more like a sports bar and has great food!

In a nut shell, the Apollo is a gem for people looking for a reasonably priced, perfectly located place to stay while enjoying Marco Island. The only caution I'd offer is to do your research before you pick a unit, read reviews for different units, some are better furnished and cleaner than others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I would have given 2.5 stars if I could have. The location would have been great had it not been for the construction on the beach. Our view included two tractor trailers parked on the beach with an orange safety fence surrounding them and very long ugly pipes. The construction area was quite large. I would say it took up the beach front area in front of 3 resorts. Because the south beach public access is right next to the Apollo condos and there was such a large area blocked off with construction, the beach was very crowded. Apparently the construction is going to take about 60 days to complete. Here's a news video clip about it. http://www.fox4now.com/multimedia/videos/?bctid=2219916956001 The beach is is VERY shell-y. If you enjoy shelling, you'll love it. You WILL need shoes for walking on the beach. It is not the soft white sand from the panhandle. I was very pleased with the Sunset Grill on the lower floor. It was very convenient and the crab cake sandwich was delicious. Now for the units, 1008 was a little bigger, I think. It had a king bed in the bedroom and a small island in the kitchen. But it was old and felt kind of dirty. There was a creepy dirty towel in the closet and the comforter was not clean. There was a small beach umbrella and chairs in the closet. Unit 803 had a very small kitchen. I think the microwave was the first model ever invented. It was really old! The hot water doesn't last very long so showers have to be quick. The owners allow access to their storage closet outside the room which has a nicer umbrella and chairs, and even a skim board. My daughter was a little afraid of the closet though because she was sure it held spiders. This unit was also old and felt a little dirty. The bathrooms in both units were very small. Overall, the units both need updating and a really thorough cleaning, including washing all blankets and comforters. I used two different rental companies, Century 21 and Horizon, which were both very helpful and I would use them both again. The building has 1 coin operated washer and dryer set on each floor by the elevator. Our units didn't have a lot of towels so we did need to wash. Each unit had a few beach towels too. They were thin and not very big, but they were beach towels. The units only had about a half roll of paper towels and toilet paper so you will need to pick some up. The pool and hot tub were fairly nice. There are strict rules however. No nighttime use, no drinks or food, no jumping or being loud, etc. The office has a computer screen with views of the pool area and hallways leading to the pool area. You have to check in with the office when you arrive to get a parking pass and pool bands. I believe the office hours are 10 am-8 pm. You have to use a key to get in the front door, the pool doors, the beach gate, and to use the elevator on the first floor. I found that all the condos on Marco are very strict when it comes to letting people in. My daughter had friends at other condos and it was not easy to go back and forth between them. I went to pick up my 17 year daughter at Medeira and the guards almost wouldn't let me in. They finally agreed but said I would have to be back in 5 minutes or they would come looking for me. I had the same experience at Residents Beach, trying to drop off her friends to their mother.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Arrived late in the evening. The owner told us someone had been renting the previous week but promised a clean condo. The guy touted he avoids management companies to save money and pass the lower cost on to the renter. There was no cost savings . Same cost or more than other units available from experience.

Upon arrival we found the condo filthy. The refrigerator had food in it. The bed sheets had been made but not cleaned. Gross.. The last thing you want to do after a long day of traveling is clean up someone else mess. Or sleep in others excrement. In fact we rent condos / vacation several times a year and cannot remember ever having to clean one upon arrival?

Phoned the owner to let him know of our disappointment. Surprisingly he did not seem to care. He made so many excuses as to what could have happened. That doesn't take care of the problem. He never offered to have the cleaning company come back to clean. He pointed out there were extra sheets in the closet and we should just change them. That is not the point. We are not family we are renters with a clear understanding the unit was to be clean upon arrival.

The sliding door screens were extremely worn. Wouldn't roll nor stay on the track. So you have no screen and bugs just come in. The windows were extremely filthy. It was like looking though a haze He pointed out the cleaning supplied were in the cleaning closet.

The landlord spoke of high A/C bill. Notes everywhere telling you to keep A/C off as often as possible. Would have tried to save energy by leaving the doors open and a/c off but the screens don't work.

Also note the A/C system was so old and noisy it was difficult to sleep when it operates. The kitchen table is worthless. It is a game table. The bathroom worn. Chipped bath tub. Mold in corner of tub. The furniture generally worn and uncomfortable. The exception was a newer chair but that was of lower quality too.

It is real evident the owner really didn't spend a lot of moneys furnishing this unit. Everything reeked of low quality. Kitchen utensils and flatware low quality. TV channels very limited. BR TV is an older TV with so so picture. Reminded me of a single star hotel.

The internet is locked. There was no instructions what code to use. The owner advertised it was available , He acted surprised that we would use it. It was promised in the VRBO ad and expected as I keep in touch utilizing the internet.

Cheap plastic patio furniture. You know the cheap white plastic stuff you might find in a Big Lots. The chairs were flimy

The promised beach furniture was extremely worn and in the case of one lawn chair it was downright unusable, broken. We had to buy some chairs. There however was a new cooler.

The phots show a telescope. It didn't work. Take your own binoculars to watch the dolphins and boats.

We have stayed at Apollo several times in the past. There are so many other and much nicer units available in much better condition. Very obvious this was a lower class unit.

Ever other unit we have ever rented at Apollo the owners allowed us to use beach stuffs from owners closet. Usually a pretty stocked closet of chairs umbrellas etc etc... Not here. He kept a couple chairs on the balconey. What a joke!!!

In my opinion this was the worst unit we have ever rented at Apollo and will not ever rent from this guy again.

Stay at Apollo but avoid unit 906 at all costs.. There are too many other units available that are much more nicer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We always stay at the Apollo condo when we come to Marco. I love the location and the balconies overlooking the gulf beach. There is nothing like listening to the sound of the waves! It's nice having the Sunset Grille on the first floor, for times when we don't want to go far! The condo isn't brand new, but they are well cared for. I've read that some of the units aren't nice, but we have always had good luck there. This is the first time we stayed in # 404. The unit is very nice. The furniture is comfortable, and the unit is equipped with everything we needed. They are all small, but it is all we need for a week at the beach! I can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: I like to get one of the "central units". I think the views from the balconies are better...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Warsaw Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have stayed here several times in several different units.
The owner, Dave DeSmyter, is great to rent from.
He makes it as easy as possible.
No hidden fees. Everything is included in the expressed rate.
Each unit is furnished a little different
They have all been comfortable & well equipped.
Beach towels, chairs, noodles, paddle boards, etc... are furnished.
There is a very nice pool & hot tub, plus you are right on the beach.
The view is fabulous at sun set.
You are in waking distance to many different restaurants and a 7 Eleven.
Public, Winn Dixie, & a Dollar Tree are a short distance away for condo supplies.
We are Colt's fans and enjoyed lunch at Vandy's . Mike Vanderjagt, former Colts player, owns it and took time out from working to take a picture with us.
Try The Old Marco Lodge in Goodland.
Nice outdoor seating on the bay and live entertainment. :-) good food too:-)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was our first trip to Marco and stayed at the Apollo as suggested by a friend. They rent nightly which is nice. I wasn't expecting much and I'm glad I didn't. The best thing about unit 705 are the amazing views and the beach right out front. The building is older but well kept up and clean. Our unit needed updating, though, and some cleaning. The carpet in the bedroom needs shampooing and the dresser also needs to be scrubbed. I have never seen dirty furniture in a place before. There were newer TV's but no Wi-Fi. I hope the next guests and owners appreciate the 3 new pillows we left and washclothes, we had to buy wash clothes. Make sure to add toilet paper to your shopping list. Oh, and it's right by the elevator. I would stay here again but try to find another unit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Apollo Condominiums? Share your experiences!