“Great service\beautiful resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Marco Island
Shelton, CT
“Great service\beautiful resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at Marco Beach Ocean Resort. The staff was extemely attentive and pleasant. The room was very nice-beautiful marble in bath area and granite in kitchen area. We were on the 12th floor (which is the top floor), and had the perfect view. The restaurant was very nice-jackets are required (they provide if you've forgotten yours), though they also have two other connecting areas that are dressy casual-no jacket required. One of them is outdoors, and the other is in the bar area, though my husband and I weren't sure why they felt they had to have different dress codes, as all three areas were quite nice. Menu and service are the same for all three. We had a romantic getaway package, which included breakfast in bed for two each morning, valet parking and all room taxes. Very reasonable, as valet parking (usually $15/day) and room taxes (usually around 20%) can add up quickly(not to mention the overpriced room service breakfast menu). The staff at the restaurant-which is who serves the breakfast-were pleasant but there was a bit of a language barrier-our orders got mixed up a few times. The beach is not soft white sand-bring your beach shoes! It is mostly shell pieces which are quite painful to walk on. But all in all a very nice place-I would return if I was ever going to revisit the West coast again-fabulous sunsets!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2004

Since I have lived in FL my entire life I know resorts, beaches, and beach communities. Marco Island was the ULTIMATE LUXURY.

We spent out honeymoon at the Marco Beach Ocean Resort the 2nd week of October. It was off-season and pretty deserted, we loved it. We had a king suite on the 12th floor overlooking the gulf. It was absolute perfection, quiet, perfect sunsets, we wanted solitute and together time and we got it. The hotel is immaculate, the staff very organized and friendly, the beach is gorgeous, wide open sand, perfectly calm warm water, the beach bar is fully stocked and they have service on the beach. No need to get up, they will bring it to you.

The hotel restaurant Sale e Pepe is expensive but has a glorious view of the sunset. The food was good, but didn't impress me for the price. The tiramisu looks fabulous but it's about 2 oz and $12.

If you are looking for entertainment, this is not the resort for you. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation with the sun, water, and a gorgeous pool and hotel, pick this one. This isn't Daytona Beach or South Beach Miami, no dancing, no wild parties. Just calm, serene, beautiful beach with luxurious rooms and service. I wouldn't recommend it to parents with teenagers looking for action.

• Stayed October 2004
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2004

We stayed at the resort from 10/8/04 - 10/11/04. My husband and I had the most wonderful 3 night getaway. The accommodations were first rate. The suite consisted of a sitting room and kitchenette (all upscale); the staff was wonderful, friendly, and helpful at all times. We couldn't have asked for a better room. We had a full expanse view on the 12th floor (top floor). Feather pillows, excellent mattress - slept like babies. Turn down service included. We ate dinner at Sole de Pepe the first two nights. Again everyone was most solicitous. The food was superb especially the desserts - save room. The beach was equally lovely - white shell/sand (wear shoes) - took long walks and enjoyed the ocean. Full service provided with towels, umbrellas, and lounge chairs. Beach menu included light meals and drinks. Watched dolphins. We will definitely return to this hotel ... we can hardly wait.

• Stayed October 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2004

Our company set up a rather expensive trip, and at first sight, the hotel is very pretty. The evening of one of our events we held a poolside cocktail hour. I was shocked to see what I originally thought was a stray cat running around the base of the trees. At closer look, it was not a cat- it was a huge rat. The employee who I told did not seem to have much concern over it.
The front desk was not extremely helpful, and did very little to resolve a problem with our bill. The food was good, but the attention to detail was non-existant. The rooms were small and cramped. The cleaning crew was good. The rest of the staff of the hotel did not respond to specific requests. The servers did their best to "bump up" our bill. I did not feel that we were given honest information about the gratuity policy. Overall, it felt like a very plastic place to visit. The beach sand hurt my feet, so much for "soft sandy beaches". We were bored to tears on the tiny island, and the mere idea that there is a shopping area for the "wives" of the important clients was insulting,... not to mention, there was nothing to shop for! The spa was litterally the size of a closet. We spent a lot of money there, and there is nothing to boast about for our trip. We will never return. I dare say - this place is nothing like the Ritz. The employees are bored! And considering what our employer does, I can honestly say this could be a direct reflection of the people running the show. Oh, and you can expect parking to be a true hassle.
Save yourself the horrible experience- go somewhere else- anywhere else, instead!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2004

We were planning to stay in Fort Myers Beach but due to Hurricane Charley, had to make a last minute change and picked the MBOR. We booked a three night stay in one of the two bedroom suites. I was still feeling somewhat let down by our Fort Myers Beach cancellation until we arrived at MBOR. I read the reviews about rude service, billing problems and room quality and must say our experience was almost perfect in every way. Our suite was on the 11th floor and had spectacular panoramic views of the gulf. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms large enough to sleep in. My mother-in-law enjoyed sitting on the balcony every morning while my sons (12 and 10) swam in the pool. We ate at Sele e Pepe and it was the best meal of our entire vacation, which included a stay in Deerfield Beach and Disney's Beach Club (whose service, by the way, has dropped about 20 notches since my last visit - another subject). It was quiet, not the type of place to go if you are into the nightlife scene, but if you are looking for a beautiful, relaxing vacation, this is the place to go. Staff was tremendous too - they were very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Marco Beach Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!