“Wow, What A Trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Marco Island
NEW YORK
“Wow, What A Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

We just got back from 11 days visit to Marco Island and stayed at MBOR. I generally do not write reviews of our trips or resorts. However, we had an unexpected great time at the hotel, I thought I would share some of our experiences and notes. I read most of the recent reviews on trip advisor about MBOR before I left. I got a good idea of the hotel. We've been to Marco Island couple of times, but this was our first time at MBOR.

Our trip was truly enjoyable and relaxing. Let me say that again ...RELAXING.

MBR is a resort that one can stay for more than a week and not go nuts. We had a partial ocean front 1-BR room on the fifth floor with a private garden and private access to the pool/hot tub area. We thought it was very nice having the pool next to our garden, it was truly easy and pleasant. Not only were we able to seat outside on our beautiful private garden, but also see the Gulf and countless dolphin sightings everyday. Both experiences were magical. We couldn't have asked for a better room. There was no noise so we had no problem to fall asleep. Every morning, we had the beautiful blue skies wake us up.

Our 1-BR room was huge, plenty big for the three of us (me, my wife, and our two year old daughter). The bathroom was gigantic. The kitchen was modest and equipped with four sets of eat ware and all cookware. Everything was updated. My baby watched cartoons on the flat screen TV in the living room and we watched movies on our flat screen TV in our bedroom. We cooked breakfast in our kitchen every morning. We asked for a hot skillet. We cooked pancakes, eggs, french toasts, etc in the mornings. For the most part, lunch and dinner we ate at the hotel's restaurant. The food at the Sale e Pepe restaurant was amazing. Saletta’s sunset dinner on terrace is unique. The bar by the pool OK. Beach food delivery even nicer. Eating in just-outside-our-room-garden with the view was truly amazing and to die for. In fact, we did this several times and it was much better than any restaurant in Naples area.

The best time was spent on the beach. The beach was a good walk away from hotel. It turned out better that way because that detached the beach from hotel ambient and imposed another routine. We would make the whitest sandcastles ever and then to the pool and hot tub. Needless to say, my baby enjoyed MBOR pools/hot-tub/beach much better than us. The beach boys are to be recognized for their services.

The workout facilities were free. It had both weights and aerobic machines. We never had to wait for anything. Parking was not free. In fact, they charged for both valet as well as self-parking. Within a short 5 minute walk there was a supermarket, many restaurants and other stores. We bought milk as well as food and drinks for the whole week. The refrigerator in our room was plenty big. We could store a whole week's food and drinks without any problems. We also had washer and dryer two floors down to do laundry in the middle of the week.

Where should I start on service? Maybe on Sept-Oct the resort is less occupied thus, better service. However, there is no comparison. We were told by our incredible room maid that they MUST follow up on our every request until fulfilled even if it sounds out of ordinary. So, when we asked for a griddle skillet. They found one. When I asked for inflated swimming equipment for my daughter they wouldn't say it but I think they went and bought them. Etc, etc. It seemed weird. Only when we met the director of operations of the resort we realized that the service and courtesy shown to us was an ordinary thing there extended to all. One day on the elevator to the beach we asked him for directions to the gift shop. As busy as he may have been, he joined us for a walk all the way to the gift shop and held the door for us. Gave us his card and encouraged us to ask for him if we find something not to our satisfaction. One would think that happens once to everyone. Well, one night when fire alarm for no reason went off he was quick enough to reward us with a complimentary night’s stay. In addition, on the day we departed, guess who was waiting in the lobby to wish us a safe trip.

All in all, we were very happy with MBR. The place, location, views, staff, service, and facilities were perfect for us. We couldn't have asked for anything more in a luxury hotel. We're looking forward in going back to Marco Island and MBR, but next time will stay longer.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Madtown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

Great hotel, wonderful restaurant Sale e Pepe or whatever, I'm terrible in Italian.

The suites are geat, it's a world class hotel. But it's always about your neighbors and these folk get up by 8AM and start banging around. I'd hate to have bought a condo or time share and have some 6AM deaf guy upstairs yelling at his wife. They own part of the beach, great service down there also. Everything was wonderful except the pilled poly sheets.

Sale e Pepe is a world class restaurant with a wine list that is only surpassed by a few hundred restaurants in the world (and those are for the most part in Europe and have verticals that can never be bought again). I'm an old man from the Midwest, own part of a sushi bar, and loved this restaurant. The early bird, see old man above, is three courses for $35 and you will drop that at any local joint for a lot less ambiance, view, taste, service, et al. The write up says "JACKET" but collar and slacks will get you in. The coots in the jackets next to us, with an incredible wine list, ordered Yellow Tail.

Try the restaurant even if you don't stay here. And I guess it's OK to order Yellow Tail.

Stayed January 2009
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

Our stay was amazing. My now sister-in-law was getting married on the hotel beach. Get a 2-bedroom suite with an ocean (gulf) view on the 12th floor..well worth the extra dollars. The room is HUGE. Very nice kitchen and the bathroom 'suite' was the ultimate. Grand soaking tub, extra long double-vanity and glass-encased shower. Large deck with an unbelievable of the beach and ocean, as well as the pool. Hotel staff, especially the concierge and valet parking...were extremely courteous and helpful. I frequently stay at hotels for business and vacations...and highly recommend this resort.

• Liked — Bathroom and deck view
  • Disliked — Cost of drinks
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

travelling a lot and therefore stay in hotels and resorts a lot as well we arrived at the marco beach ocean and from the first moment the service was second to none!!
very friendly and attentive people from the front desk to the valetparking,maintenance, restaurant, spa and beach..
we stayed two weeks and didn't want to leave...and really felt at home. rooms were comfortable, perfect turndown service and the best sundowns on the coast. this hotel is in our top three destinations. fred and rolanda - holland

• Liked — service in general
  • Disliked — interior of the rooms is a litle bit outdated
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

Are you kidding me? Not a great location? Not fabulous service?
It's the Gulf of Mexico. It's not overcrowded (like the Marriott). It's got gorgeous sand, beautiful sunsets, dolphins swimming in the water, large shells washing up on the white sand. I'm not sure it gets better in Florida, and I've been everywhere from Amelia Island, to Fort Lauderdale/Miami, to Key West. There's a reason so many couples choose to get married on the beach there...
But we choose to return to Marco Ocean Beach Resort not only because of the beautiful and laid back location, but because of the great staff. Three o'clock sorbet? I could really use that today! They remembered us from last year! They called us by name at the Christmas party. I've never had anywhere near the service at any of the Starwood properties I frequent. They are genuinely nice and helpful people.
We have now had two fantastic trips there, and we look forward to returning again. It really works great for families with the two rooms, the kitchenettes, etc.
All in all, really among our favorite hotels!

• Liked — great rooms, beautiful views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
sarasota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

The room was ok. Location is ok. But the stay was ruined by a couple of rude staffers. The concierge and front desk staff were excellent. No problem with them -- outstanding people. But a couple of other staffers were at that time rude and very difficult to communicate with, escalating otherwise routine situations, and pretty much wrecking much of the enjoyability.

Stayed December 2008
indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

My wife and I wanted to get away from the kids for a romantic weekend. I value tripadvisor and have used it numerous times to find hotels. This hotel was ranked second on Marco Island. It is a beautiful hotel. Our stay was very nice with only a few minor problems. When we arrived the entrance isnt marked very well and we ended up driving the wrong way up to the front door. The two other cars I saw drive up to the hotel did the same thing. When I got out of the car I was told by the valet that I was going the wrong way and not to do it again. Kinda Rude, mark it better. The room was nice and the turn down service was nice. The Molten Brown bath products smelled good. The units have a fridge(came in handy to avoid $5 beer), microwave, sink, oven, stovetop, and silverware.
Do not buy coffee at the hotel. Go next door to the Marriott for your coffee, concierge at our hotel could not tell us where to get a cup of coffee to go.
The hotel is beautiful, the walk to the pool and beach was very short and actually a very pretty walk. There were very few people around, there were only 2 families at the pool on Friday afternoon. The beach was empty too. Very nice. I would stay here again in a heartbeat, but I would eat and drink at the Marriott next door.

• Liked — I liked the beach service
  • Disliked — Hard to understand foreign accents of employees
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Marco Beach Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!