“Best vacation ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Marco Island
Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA
“Best vacation ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

My husband and I were married in 2010 at an exclusive resort in Jamaica. This year to celebrate our first wedding anniversary we decided to check out Marco Island. After doing some research, we ended up making reservations for a week stay at Marco Beach Ocean Resort. Not sure what to expect (only going buy what we read on the internet), we were happy to say the least. This place is beautiful!!! In fact it's our new favorite place to visit, and we plan to return ASAP! The beaches are breathtaking, the hotel and it's staff are amazing and the food at the hotel’s restaurant, “Sale e Pepe” is A++ (Tony the door man was the greatest, and our waiter at “Sale e Pepe” was top of the line). We couldn't get over that we were at a beach in the states . We now question why we went to Jamaica to get married with a resort and beaches like we found at Marco Island. I don't think we'll ever go back to Jamaica! So if you're researching the internet for a great place to relax and be pampered, look no more. Book your vacation with Marco Beach Ocean Resort, I promise you will not be disappointed!!!!

Room Tip: If you want a great view ask to stay on the top floors (9th floor and above)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

741 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011 via mobile

I got here late on Friday and so far the beach is beautiful. The hotel is great and has lot of great staff. I feel that based on the previous comments made by dissapointed people was not so far what I've experienced. I feel the room is good in size and clean, the bed is soft and comfy. I would give this resort a 5/5 great overall :0)

• Stayed August 2011
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

What a wonderful place to vacation! The MBOR was an excellent choice to stay on Marco Islandf. The rooms, staff and car valets were all wonderful. The sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico are breathtaking. Go and enjoy!!:)

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Rotonda West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I loved the standards of this hotel...the location was wonderful.
The hotel appearance was great. The room was amazing.
The housekeeping and the valet did a wonderful job. They went above and beyond
I had fresh chicken from the local supermarket the valet made the effort to put it in the fridge.
The housekeeper cleaned my personal small kitchen appliance.
I will definitally come back.
It was a wonderful experience

Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stayed at Marco Beach Ocean Resort after spending two tiring weeks at the parks in Orlando. We had originally booked for three nights but extended our stay to five as we were so happy with the accomodation. Joost on reception was particularly friendly and helpful, but all the staff with whom we came into contact were very professional. We had paid for an ocean view room and from the tenth floor we had a beautiful view of the ocean and the pool. The rooms were spacious, clean and well serviced, with the plentiful towels changed both during the morning service and during the turn-down service when required. Maybe not so good for the environment, but with two teenage children we did get through quite a few. I have seen a previous comment made that there was too much furniture in the rooms. This was not really a problem for us (we had a one bedroom suite), but having to accomodate our suitcases for a three week hoilday, we perhaps could have done without a desk - I would imagine if the room were a bit smaller this could have been a problem. We tried the beach on our first day, and found the service there to be very friendly and efficient. My husband is an early riser and the chair guys set up 4 chairs with towels for him so that we could join him later. There is plenty of free, chilled water available both at the beach hut and by the pool, which we visted for the remainder of our stay. The pool is not huge or particulary deep, but we enjoyed it and it seemed to be appreciated by other guests with smaller children for whom the ocean might be too much. There was a relaxed and friendly atmosphere around the pool, which was spotlessly clean and well maintained. There were plenty of towels available for the sunbeds, and they were replenished during the day. The pool and beach bar food was excellent. We did not eat in the restaurants in the evening, purely because it was too late for our children, but other guests recommended them to us. George in the Sal e Pepe restaurant made us some lovely cocktails at the bar, and was a pleasure to chat to. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and met some lovely people there, both guests and staff.

Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

We booked our 6 night stay at the Marco Beach Ocean Resort after reading many of the glowing reviews here on TripAdvisor. At a cursory glance, this resort looks very nice with a small, but luxurious lobby. The front desk staff upon check-in seemed distracted and very rushed, though we were the only guests in the lobby. The lady checking us in, stated that they needed a credit card on file for any 'incidentals' - I had already paid in-full a few months prior to our stay, but since this is customary at many hotels, I handed it over. Later that evening, I was doing some online banking and noticed that the hotel 'held' $500 on my card without telling me. I was shocked - usually, having a card on file for incidentals, means that if you charge anything additional to your room (after already paying in full prior to your stay...) you settle up upon check-out and your card is charged at that point. I immediately called the front desk to inquire and was told by a very rude staffer that this is standard and I just must not have 'been listening' when I checked in. When I was attempting to explain that no one had mentioned that policy to me, I was rudely cut off and told since we 'weren't getting anywhere' she would put a manager on the phone. Relieved to be speaking to someone else, I was shocked to be faced with the same rudeness! The 'manager' also told me they needed to 'protect themselves' and that 'I must not have been listening'. Both my husband and daughter were at the desk when we checked in, and they too, confirmed we were not told this. The manager agreed to remove the $500 hold on my card 'if I came down another day'. Suffice it to say, my bank is excellent and they gladly spoke to management and took care of the removal of the charge immediately the same day. I was appalled to be treated this way.

We were also disappointed with the room - not typical of a room of this price. With 2 adults and 2 children (ages 13, 7), we felt crowded. The living room was so crammed with furniture, we had to stack the coffee table on the desk in order to pull out the couch bed for the kids at night. we also had to move an unnecessary chair from the bedroom to walk along one side of the bed. We were disappointed not to have a tub in our room - our 7 yr old likes baths - especially after the room description indicated we were to have a separate tub and shower. Towels felt like sandpaper and we didn't have nearly enough - had to ask for extra every day. The bed comforter had small yellow stains on it, and though we asked that it be changed, it never looked like it was. The carpet was filthy, after just exiting the shower, the bottom of my feet were black after walking on the carpet. I had to keep my sandals in the bathroom to put on! The walls were also paperthin and we could hear the opening/closing of patio doors (sounds like thunder), room doors banging closed all night long, and loud voices.

The beach staff are extremely rude. After spending the first day on the beach and receiving no service whatsoever - when we complained, we were told that there was a wedding later that evening and 'everyone was busy' - we went to walmart and purchased a small soft-sided cooler. We saw several of these at the beach our first day. When we arrived with our cooler the next day, we were confronted by an extremely rude staffer saying we could walk no further on the beach unless we gave up our cooler. All it contained was a few bottles of water, some small bags of chips and string cheese - when we said we would like to keep it since we had seen others with coolers, he stated we couldn't be on their beach or use their chairs unless we handed it over. After several minutes of arguing with my husband and being threatened to have 'security' at the hotel take our cooler, we gave up and went up to the hotel pool where we were allowed to enjoy our cooler. We were treated like criminals! You can't be expected to be on a beach for hours in 90 degree heat, especially with small children, with no water! The beach service is terrible and we heard many complaining of waiting an hour or more for their orders.

The pool is a joke - we have better pools at our local 2 star holiday inn! It's extremely small and sad for a resort of this star rating. At it's deepest point, it's only 4 feet and doesn't hold more than a handful of guests. It's jam-packed with kids and adults throwing balls and pool toys around. The atmosphere at the pool is very lacking - concrete, half dead plants in planters, no music, and the towels are non-existent. We were told every day that the 'towels are coming' - when they eventually did, we had to face a stampede from all the guests trying to grab the towels. Since the pool area is so small, there also aren't adequate amount of chairs - our last day, we saw many people with towels spread out on the concrete!

I will say that the best thing at the hotel was the valet staff - they were attentive and friendly - the only staff at the resort that seemed glad to see you. I do think it's ridiculous to have to pay $18/day to park your car, but there are no other options.

I was impressed with the looks of the Marriott and the compliments they rec'd from people we met on the island who were staying there. If I return to Marco Island, I'll be staying at the Marriott. I'm extremely disappointed with our stay at the Marco Beach Ocean Resort and would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Request 7th floor or above, otherwise you will be looking at concrete
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

After visiting Naples several times we decided to finally go to Marco Island. Overall the reviews of the hotel were good, and we confirmed it's very nice. The service is great, the rooms are extremely comfortable and the beach is great. Also we had dinner a couple of nights at Sale e Pepe and definitely recommend it.

Overall great hotel and looking forward to go back again.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Marco Beach Ocean Resort? Share your experiences!