“Felt like being in Marriott Aruba, very nice place overall” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Daily Credit
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Marco Island
NJ
“Felt like being in Marriott Aruba, very nice place overall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Hotel was great, Marco Island is very beautiful. I didn't know FL had places like this, i've been to south beach and sarasota which are nice as well but this place was just super relaxing. We only stayed one night and from what i understand there is no reason to leave the hotel, so if your looking to party this might not be the place, but if you want to relax by the pool and on the beach this is the place. The hotel has several nice restaurants, we ate at the sushi place which was pretty good, for some reason sushi in FL does not taste good to me. The two pools are very convenient, one is bigger than the other, i was told initially that the large pool was adults only but when we showed up there were kids everywhere, which was good for us since we were traveling with one year old, but like any other place, the loungers go fast in the AM, people reserve them early. But there is a guy marking the seats every hour and takes the towels off when someone does not show up for an hour, all resorts should do this. I initially wanted to stay at the crystal shores but could not get a room, but after our stay we drove by the other Marriott property and it did not look impressive. Like my wife said after check in, "This is supposed to be the LESSER of the two hotels?". We were both impressed and would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

The Marriott Marco Island is top to bottom, front to back, a great place. We arrived early after they were at 100% the night before so no rooms were ready. We had lunch on the beach at Quinn's with good food and typical resort prices. They called my cell as soon as room was ready and an hour after we arrived, we had a room. A quick change into swim trunks and it was out to the beach. A huge uncrowed white powder sand beach attached to the hotel. Again the resort prices were typical and tend to be slightly annoying after a while. I don't think 20 for a beach chair is reasonable but it's typical for a hotel.

We were there for three days and two nights and didn't leave once. The food is pretty good and they do a great job of keeping you entertained. The movie by the pool was a kid favorite. The staff was so friendly everywhere you went. This place is really great for any family or couple looking to get away. The rooms are big and all have a view of the Gulf. Amazing sunsets!

The only down side (not really the hotel's fault) is the disgusting people who insist on coming down to the pool at 8am, picking up five towels, putting them and a book down on pool side chairs, and then not returning until 11am. I'm not sure why people think they are entitled to a chair. It's usually pushy soccer moms who think they can do whatever they want on vacation. It didn't bother me too much because I just picked up some towels and threw them in the bin and made myself at home in their chairs. The chair saver was not happy when she returned, but I just told her I had no idea what she was talking about.

thsloppy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We just returned from the Marco Island Marriott and were very pleased with our stay. I travel quite a bit and was very impressed with the property and the service. The hotel and grounds are upscale, clean and impressive. However, what makes this resort special is the beach and ocean which are always in the background and are the centerpiece of the property. The water is crystal clear turkoise blue and the beach is wide, clean, and white. We enjoyed spending time on the beach every day and the kids played, swam etc. The staff brings beach chairs to you and you can rent unbrellas for $18 which provide adequate shade. The sunsets are breathtaking and made for unbelievable family photo's. The staff is equally impressive. I've stayed in over 100 hotels in my career, some more upscale and I've never met a staff more accomodating than this one. The front desk, bell staff, cleaning staff, pool staff, restaurants, valet staff, beach staff and pool staff all had big smiles on their faces, provided impeccable service and took the time to make sure we were happy. They acknowledged us with hello's, good mornings etc. and played with our children whenever they had a moment. Outstanding and role model type behavior. We ate at the Sushi Bar and at Quinn's and the food was surprisingly good. We did not eat at Kurrent's. Rooms were average and balcony's very good. Bathroom layout is awful, the door is also in your way and getting little kids into the bath is difficult as is sitting on the john!!! Our only complaints were two 1) the pool complex's could be a little bigger for the property size as most people don't go to the beach but camp out at the pool. If you don't put your stuff out by 9-10 AM, you don't get a spot at the main pool. 2) The pricing is a little offensive in places, especially golf and spa. The course is fun, impeccably manicured and scenic, but is not worth nearly $200 plus $75 for rental clubs. It is similar to many Florida courses. If you have a car and don't need the shuttle, there are other courses you can play for $50-100 within a 30 minute drive. My wife, her mother and my mother had 1 facial each at the Spa and the bill was $450 with tip. Rediculous. Thank god for Marriott points. Sushi and Quinns were expensive but the food was plentiful and good so I didn't mind as much. Coffee shop was reasonable, similar to Starbucks. Tips were normal ...bell, valet etc. Conciege service was great. We ate off property at Tara (upscale date night out) and Snook Inn. Tara is pricey and average for a steakhouse but atmosphere is awesome on the water. Snook Inn is a cool little place that is unpretenious and very South Florida. It is midpriced and had great seafood. We really liked it and had fun there. Outside the resort and golf, there isn't much to do around Marco. We did the Naples Zoo for the kids one day which was 3 hours well spent as it is a nice place and animals are up close. We are not fishing types and I didn't want to get caught on those boat trips for 3 hours of seeing a manatee or two.
Overall, a great trip and nice property.

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

We stayed at the Marco Island Marriott over Spring Break. This was a fantastic resort all around. We did not find any of the staff to be rude. Actually, they were all very friendly and accomodating. We requested a cot on our reservation and one was brought up as our luggage was arriving. The rooms were plenty big enough for a family of four. The bathroom was large in size. The shower and toilet is in a separate room but it would be nice of there was some sort of pocket door separating the dressing area from the room. Closet was good size.

The restaurants were very good. Yes, everything is expensive. We were prepared thanks to the other reviews. The breakfast buffet was fantastic and the food was all fresh. Staff in all the restaurants were friendly.

Pools were relaxing and enjoyable. The slide at one of the pools was a bit disapointing for my kids. I think it is for the younger children. My son (12) was too tall for the size requirement. The landscaping throughout the resort was beautiful. I believe the beach chairs were complimentary but you had to rent an umbrella (18$) but was needed and worth it. Yes, the beach is very shelly but not as bad as I thought it would be. It really was not a problem. The staff at the beach huts were knowledgable and also friendly. We did the parasailing which my family loved and the shelling tour. Be sure to do the tour on the smaller catamarans (holds 6/8 people) and not the larger boat that takes about 40 people out. This tour was awesome. My family has the catamaran to ourselves!! We had Captain Tom who enjoyed sharing his knowledge of the area with us. We saw dolphin and went to a private island for shelling. The shells on this island are amazing. I think we came back with every kind a tons of sand dollars. This was well worth the money.

We would definetley go back to Marco Island and the Marriott again. There is not alot to do in the area but that is what made this such a memorable vacation for my family. Relaxation!!

New Providence, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

We stayed at the Marriott Marco Island from April 15-20th. We had two adjoining rooms for my husband and two kids (ages 4 and 5). While the hotel is quite expensive, we found it worth the price. We paid for two Tropical View rooms and requested a high floor. We were told that any view of the Gulf would be much more expensive. To our surprise and delight, our room on the 9th floor was practically ocean front, with great views. We got there at 1 pm with two sleeping children and we were worried that our rooms wouldn't be ready. They were ready and we were able to go right up, even though they weren't guaranteed to be ready until 4 pm. The staff is SO friendly to kids--it almost seems like a requirement that the staff must like children! They went out of their way to be friendly to our kids--everyone, from the housekeeper to the hostesses at the breakfast buffet. We ate at 3 of the 4 restaurants: Tropiks for the breakfast buffet (delicious). 400 Pazzi's for pizza (delicious). Quinn's on the beach (delicious). And Kurrents for a dinner out with out the kids (we hired a nanny through the concierge). ALSO great. The nanny they provided was excellent--warm, nurturing grandmotherly woman. The beach is clean and huge. The spa was state of the art.

My only complaint (and believe me--I am definitely able to complain): the doors to the balcony in the rooms are a lawsuit waiting to happen. The doors to the balcony are REALLY heavy, they swing shut fast and hard, and they do not stay open. Many times these doors almost slammed on my kids. I can't believe no one has had their feet crushed in these doors.

Also, the bathroom/tub area is really small. If you are bathing a small child in the tub, you have to close the door in order to get them out of the tub, and then open the door in order to get them out into the hallway. Kind of awkward.

But overall, you cannot go wrong with this place if you are looking for an easy getaway with kids. We will most definitely be back.

Fort Collins, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Hotel: Very clean, impressive appearance. Rude staff, with the exception of one bell hop. Parking is a ways away from the hotel and quite a uphill hike to the entrance. You will be chraged for EVERYTHING you use, including wireless internet on your laptop.
Room: Somewhat small and "stuffy". I am actually writing this review in another Marriott hotel in Breckenridge, CO and find this one far superior (as far as the room is concerned). However, I found the beds VERY comfortable and the in-room coffee was delicious. The cleaning service was sub-par (there was bird poo on my patio chairs even AFTER I requested it be cleaned, etc).
Grounds/Pool: Crowded beach, and had to pay for a simple lounge chair to lay on! The pool(s) were also sub-par; the deepest depth was 4 feet, and was nothing to "write home about. The plants/trees on the property were nothing close to impressive and found the design to be simple and plain.
Final Note: I really am not one to complain. I found this to be a overpriced hotel that does nothing to enhance your stay on Marco Island (which overall I found not impressive).

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

We just returned from a 5 day trip to Marco and loved every minute of it. The hotel is in a great location and the beach is beautiful. We had a great time swimming in the crystal clear gulf water and shelling. The pools at the hotel are very nice too. The beach and pools are very close and we went back and forth each day. The rooms are large, well maintained, clean and very comfortable. The service at the hotel was very attentive and super nice. They couldn't do enough for you. Our children have celiac disease and can not eat wheat. The hotel offers gluten free pancakes, pasta, pizza and nuggets. My kids were in heaven! The chefs were terrific and went out of their way to provide GF offerings to the kids. Very big for us. The restaurants were very good. Tropiks breakfasst buffet was extensive and very good. We loved the sushi lobby bar. After our night swim in the pool..we spent most nights there playing cards and watching sports games on TV. Off resort - We also enjoyed Cafe De Marco and Sassos for dinner. Loved the prawns at Cafe De Marco..melted in your mouth. Food was very good at Sassos too. Sassos had live music and the kids really enjoyed dancing. We had a great time on Marco! We will be back!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa? Share your experiences!