“Will not return” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Will not return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

I am not a complainer- in fact, I hate it when people can't find the good in things, but....The best two things about this resort is the beautiful beach and the cleanliness. Apart from that, there is nothing at this resort to go back for. We had to get our own drinks every day at the pool, the food was below average and overpriced, the female staff in particular were rude and annoyed if you requested anything, we had the wrong orders brought to us on multiple occasions at the restaurants, and we were constantly correcting our bills at the restaurants and with the hotel secondary to mistakes. On the other hand, the room was very clean with a comfortable bed, but I had to call secondary to the dribbling water pressure in the shower as well as replace missing shower hooks, and the toilet paper holder was falling off the wall as well! I do NOT recommend going here if you expect great service and a well-run resort that pays attention to details.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
Panay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

Visited this one for a conference. Really huge, sprawling typical resort hotel. And also typical was the fact that you pay for every little thing. I called the front desk to ask a question about Internet billing and then I left my room. When I returned I found that someone had been in my room and had left the sliding door opened. I called the front desk & they said that they had sent someone to check my Internet access device. I asked them why & they told me that I had requested it. To make it short they denied leaving the door open and insisted that I had requested the visit when I had not. To top it off someone was drilling and hammering at 2 am on the floor above that was being renovated.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

I recently stayed here during a conference. This is a great hotel with excellent staff and service. The hotel has 2 pools along with a great beach area. It also has a hotel bar, pool bar and a beachside restaurant.
The rooms are spotless and a good size. I would recommend this hotel for either family or business travellers.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott for a conference Oct 09. I was there as a "guest" of my husband so had more downtime to relax and enjoy. The chairs at the beach were free but umbrellas were $18 daily and the Chickee huts were $30. When we were here in 2002, the huts were free...Had no problem getting an umbrella at the pool which was where I spent alot of time. Go on the complimentary "Plant Tour" while you are there as Jean was very knowledgable and we found it very interesting.
Every member of the staff that we encountered was helpful and eager to answer any questions or concerns. You felt they loved their job and wanted to make our stay the best possible. The front desk, business office, landscape crew, cleaning staff and bell
staff were all top notch.
The hotel does not offer any shuttle services to anywhere but their golf course. So you have to arrange your own transport from the airport or to restaurants. We elected to walk about 3 blocks where there is a great selection of 4 or 5 restaurants. Captain Briens was great for seafood and there was also an Italian, a Mexican and a Sports Bar in the same area.
One thing that needs to be addressed is the lack of free wireless internet. It is $14.95 a day, self parking is $12 daily and valet is $20 daily. There is a package where you can get the valet and internet for $23.95 so we opted for that. However we felt that in an upscale property like this, paying for these extra amenties was uncalled for. Most people want internet while away and charging extra over and above the room rates is unwarranted. Most everyone was complaining about this..
We did not avail ourselves of any of the restaurants on the property as the conference provided breakfast and lunch but the prices are rather high from talking to others. The hot breakfast buffet was around $30 I believe and the cold buffet about $24.
Overall, the Marriott is a lovely property located beachfront and I loved it there. I would not hesitate to go back. However if you plan to eat and drink there, allow yourself a higher than normal budget. Marco Island I was told is nicknamed "Mark-Up Island."

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

The resort and grounds were absolutely beautiful. It is a pricey resort, so it was crowded with families taking advantage of off-season (August) reduced rates. Neighbors were noisy and kids were screaming up and down our hall, but fortunately that only lasted a couple nights. Poolside bar service was slow. A couple times we eventually got up and got our drinks ourselves. Watch out for the parking and resort fees.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

We could not have asked for a better trip. The rooms were big, service was great, and the amenities were perfect. There were several on-site restaurants to choose from and it was a short distance to shops/restaurants near by. The pool was divided and had a separate pool for adults and children. The pool was nice and warm even in November. Even while the weather was a little chilly, the pool was packed so we needed to get there early for chairs. We are planning to go back this year.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was a great week from beginning to end. The staff was very helpful, our room had a beautiful view of the gulf, the beach was awesome. The highlight of our trip was a sailing excursion reserved right on the beach. This was a 2 1/2 hour catamaran ride. Our Captain pointed out dolphins and manatees, beautiful homes and then took us to a beach to go shelling. The weather was just perfect. I am looking forward to going back next year.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa? Share your experiences!