“Beach Paradise” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Marco Island
Leawood, Kansas
“Beach Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We are Marriott Rewards cardholders and just returned from four days at this Marriott Resort with our daughter and 4-year old grandson. My husband and I have been there before, but it was our daughter's first time, and her 4-year old couldn't get enough of the beach and pool, which were awesome. The room was nice, and we had a nice view of the pool and gulf, but we were surprised to find a single shoe under one of the beds (we were looking for a lost flip flop), plus a cotton swab and a few strands of hair on the bathroom floor. We always make a point of leaving a tip for housekeeping each day, as we know how hard they work, but these were unfortunate mistakes that we had to witness first off. I agree with other reviews regarding the blue wristband...we didn't understand its meaning, or how it was monitored. The "dibs" on pool lounge chairs were humorous at first, and we soon learned how to "play the game," but that practice needs to be addressed. Placing a towel on lounge chairs at 8:00 a.m. to hold them for an hour (or more, which we noticed) is ridiculous. When you're ready to actually stay at the pool, that is when you deserve to occupy a chair. Although we had four chairs for our family, we gave up two of them to other unsuspecting guests as a courtesy, when there were none other available...and this was only mid-morning!! We did not have any problems getting chairs at the beach. We ate on-property only three times, as the prices were exorbitant. We had dinner twice at Quinn's...superb service by Maria on the first night, and over-the-top from Tiffany on the last night. Cudos to them both for making our dining experience pure delight. The only negative was the choking price of a chardonnay...$50 a bottle for a mediocre label that retails for $11...almost five times retail, and in a plastic glass! Ugh. We had a lovely bottle of cabernet at a nearby high-end restaurant for $51, which retailed for $25. There would be no comparison in volume of sales of large resort vs. small restaurant, so why gouge your guests? As more and more guests choose alternative methods of eating and drinking (local restaurants and liquor stores), Marriott might want to revisit some of their pricing, but with a renovation coming up, I'm guessing it will go the other way. Regardless, we want to thank the resort staff for their hard work and the attention they give to guests.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Sean J, Travel Brilliantly at Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We take great pride in providing our guests with a superior experience every day. We apologize for the inconvenience during your say; we are pleased that you still able to enjoy all of our services. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again in paradise.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
Avon, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Like kids? Go here! Might as well have been in Orlando

Went with family and ( 2 teenage girls) but was overwhelmed by little kids! No chairs at the pool. Wait in line for one on the beach (which were old and in bad shape) People litter terribly on the beach - real shame

The lobby is pretty and rooms are adequate but this is not a place of elegance, good service or anything that resembles a resort that is attentive. Should have picked up on speed of the place since it has a video arcade

Lobby sushi bar is fine but incredibly over priced for sushi that has tons of rice with no emphasis on fish as primary ingredient.

Girls went to the spa which came to $320 for 2 facials. Nice time but value not seen

I cant say all is terrible. Just don't expect to be impressed

Room Tip: Get floor 11. Small suites with large terrace
Green Features: Look out for turtle eggs! Otherwise people litter the beach - awful!
Zionsville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I am a Marriott owner and have been to more properties than I can count. I firmly believe that if you can't find happiness here, you won't find it anywhere. Take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Customer Service for me was near perfect, but I understand that stuff happens and it sucks when it does. I saw nothing to make me think it was a problem here.

The beach is amazing, the pools are better than most resorts and if you have kids, the water slide is the perfect babysitter while you relax in the pool or on a chair. We asked for an island view, but got a half ocean view. Most rooms face the pool and if you turn your chair 45 degrees on the balcony, you have an ocean view. We bought through vacationstogo.com and paid $239 per night. For that price, it was amazing. If you paid $400 for anything other than beachfront or penthouse, you don't know how to find a deal. The rooms are spacious, beds are good and everything is clean. The resort fee is optional. The $12 self parking is annoying, but oh well. I get 3G on my phone, so I don't need wifi. Go to the beach in the afternoon and get an umbrella that is empty. You don't need to pay resort fee. Yes, the pools get crowded, but you can choose to go to the adult infinity pool (Quinn's) that is less chaotic or the kids pool (Tiki), where it will be chaotic. It is what it is. I have two little ones, so it doesn't bother me. I'm used to chaos. The restaurants are all insanely priced, except 400 Pazzi's, which is a decent meal and price for lunch at the pool on the beach. We went off site for the rest of our meals. Use Tripadvisor to find the best options. Go to Publix and stock up on drinks and snacks to put in your mini fridge. Everything is expensive on Marco, but smart travelers can learn ways to save money. If that is not ok, go somewhere else.

Take the bad reviews with a grain of salt, this place is awesome and is easily the best option on Marco Island. I'll be coming back.

Stayed August 2014
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I honestly don't know how they could improve. 5 star service, beautiful property, great restaurants, superbly run. Rooms were fantastic. I truly can't think of one single negative. Beach is wonderful. I'm shocked they're renovating soon, as it would be difficult to improve on what seems near perfect. We were there with our young children but would have been equally at home on a romantic getaway. This place is fantastic.

Stayed August 2014
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Let me start with the good first...

1) Great place for kids, tons of things for them to do (if you are wanting a relaxing, romantic getaway, this isn't the place)
2) Great pools
3) Great poolside service
4) lots of places to eat onsite
5) hotel staff was very friendly and attentive
6) very clean
7) the view from room #917 is great.

now, the bad...
1) no clue what paying the 25 dollar resort fee did for me. They said you'd get free umbrellas at the beach, which we did...but it didn't seem that anyone was paying to use the umbrellas so I'm very unsure as to why I paid the resort fee if I could have just walked up and sat under an umbrella for free.
2) Beds are awful. I slept horribly every night. Hopefully the revamping they're doing next year will include new beds...they were awful!!!!
3) the walls are so thin. Especially if you have an adjoining room. We didn't have anyone next to us the first 3 nights, so it was quiet. But on the last night the lady (who I believe has a timeshare there) came in and you could hear EVERY SINGLE WORD spoken in that room. It was almost as if they were in your room. I would have been very upset had it been that way the first night and requested to be moved.
4) everything is very expensive so I really feel like they take advantage of people requesting that you pay a 25 dollar resort fee (it's NOT worth it)

I'm not sure that I would recommend this place to others...maybe it's just bad timing because they're about to have a major face lift on the place...not sure. But it is good for kids. Still had a good time, but for the price I would expect better beds at the very least.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Joanne T, Front Office Manager at Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, your room is one of my favorite views too. There is a charge to rent an umbrella for the day, but with the resort fee an umbrella and a wide variety of other amenities are included. A quiet room and a comfortable bed is very important to us too, we will have our Director of Guest Experience inspect your room and make the appropriate modifications. We are sorry we left a negative impression with you, but hope to have you back in the near future.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Ok let's get the elephant in the room out of the way.... This hotel is far from the airport. 125.00 each way...

Now for the stuff that really matters. I am not a big marriott guy but this hotel is the exception. Great beach access with an awesome beach pool bar. Guest rooms have balconies which is great and the rooms are spacious and clean. Beds could be a bit better.

Meeting space is fantastic. If you are having a meeting in Marco this is a great choice if taxi cost is not a factor for you. Banquet food was good but the atmosphere is what makes you oversee any meeting flaws.

I did have an issue with the front desk at checkout... They made a huge scene about my credit card which was 100% their fault. The agent argued with me that my card declined so I called amex at the desk and even put it on speaker phone since she made a scene in front of friends and business partners. The amex agent explained to the agent that the hotel had the 1320 or so dollars they needed with an authorization code for payment and that the hotel had double authorized my card and amex declined it since there was already an authorization for that same amount. Long story short. The agent told my taxi driver not to let me leave until she had payment. Once of my business partners actually grabbed my stuff and threw it in his taxi and we bailed. I felt like I had skipped out on a bill. Lol..

Untrained front desk college students maybe even high school are so funny to deal with. Look at my other Marriott Fullerton post. Same type of situation.

Anyway.. it was a great stay and great hotel in all other areas.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Michael T, Manager at Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed are beautiful resort and amenities. We are sorry to hear you experienced a problem at check-out. We have procedures in place to prevent inaccurate charges to post on guests accounts. We will do a thorough review to ensure that the proper process was followed. Thank you again for you feedback and we hope you had a productive meeting.
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I've been coming here since 2008 and unfortunately the hotel quality is decreasing.
They raised their prices again and introduced a new resort fee which nobody understands. So people line up in front of the beach hut and start lengthy discussions with staff members. Further the hotel seems to have less staff on the beach. In high times this led to up to 30 minutes wait time in the full sun for getting some chairs and an umbrella.
Further they seem to have changed their internet provider and front office staff is clueless when it comes to connection issues. Plus they were not really trying to help other than directing me to the provider. Adding a new device to my existing plan took me 20 minutes of talking to the front office and the provider service and ended up in me having to buy an additional plan. I'm a frequent business traveller and never had this kind of bad experience before.
Overall the hotel is still nice and the beach is great, but service has way to go before reaching its old quality. Plus the prices especially in the restaurants are way too expensive, especially compared to Manhattan where we spent the week before.

Room Tip: Always choose at least partial ocean view.
Green Features: Got better, electric dryers now instead of towels.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
We thank you for your loyalty since 2008 and giving us an opportunity to address your concerns. We sincerely apologize that you had to wait in line for beach chairs and an umbrella. We are committed to increasing our staffing levels on the beach to ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. We are also disappointed and sorry to hear about your challenges with internet access. We strongly believe easy access to the internet is critical to guest satisfaction. We will address your concerns with our information technology manager. Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to paradise.

Been to Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa? Share your experiences!