Ok - this is usually our relaxing anniversary get-away each year, but this year wasn't as idyllic as years past. I'm hoping that the enchantment is not lost and the only reason our trip wasn't as enjoyable as the many years past is just a matter of timing. Because it's one of our fav spots - we'll give it another chance during a different time of year.
Our stay was at the beginning of the 4th of July Holiday week. We got in on the Saturday before and stayed until July 3. Each year we come to Marco during this time and never want to leave - almost always booking an extra night stay. This year - we couldn't wait to leave.
The Good, the bad and the ugly:
Service is impeccable. Everyone had a smiling face and greeting and whatever we needed was taken care of. This is usually the case. Though the breakfast buffet in the Tropix Restaurant is a little expensive ($50 for two for breakfast buffet) as well as for room service - it's still very good food. One thing that had changed was the delightful Bloody Mary bar- last year it was unique and inviting, almost had a Tuscany kind of feel- even though it was just a small part of the buffet - but this year, they had changed it and now its just ordinary. We noticed a couple of subtle changes, but overall it still remains a top notch breakfast buffet, and free Mimosas. We didn't eat at Kurrents. We had drinks a couple of nights in the Koral bar but didn't have the sushi. The drinks were good - they did a great job making a custom martini for me, but the Pina Coladas at Quinn's can't be beat!! (Get them with a 151 floater) Barbara, from Long Island, our waiter, remembered us from last year - and even what we drank!! Food at Quinns was good - a bit better than sportsbar food. Their peel & eat shrimp is yummy! They have really good wings too. Restaurants in the area: the new Fin Bistro is excellent and just down street! Excellent wine suggestion, really good food. Café de Marco and Island Café never fail. We ate at Arturos for the first time based on Trip Advisor reviews and it was "okay" -but kinda like eating at your grandma's house- not because the food was as good as grandmas though - there were a lot of older folks there and décor was like a nursing home dining room. We were kind of uncomfortable in the atmosphere. The food was just okay, our side of penne pasta with marinara was like box pasta with Ragu. Service was slow. Our room was full oceanfront with wrap-around balcony. Beautiful view - and immaculate. As a frequent business traveler, I'm very picky about hotel room cleanliness and this Marriott is top notch. The mattress wasn't the best, just okay. The room was quiet and we didn't hear other guests until morning when kids were running up and down the halls. Even though we were on the end/corner, we could still hear the kids. Not Marriott's fault - just the parents' fault. It seems that when folks are on vacation, they think that rules and manners are on vacation as well. Now let's get to the pool - for years we have been coming here and always wondered why this type facility doesn't offer an Adults Only pool. There is a great kids pool with a water slide and water fall and even has a tiki bar that parents can get food and drinks. Here's where I couldn't understand why management didn't step in- Quinn's pool - the one that should be an adults only pool - was extremely crowded with children, adults, couples, families. There were people throwing balls and tons of rafts/floats in the pool. Why is this allowed? At the very least, ball throwing in the pool should not be allowed - a little girl was smacked in the face with a thrown ball and needless to say that didn't go over well. I was almost hit in the face as well. These were grown men throwing balls to younger children/teens. I couldn't figure that one out. Would be one thing if the pool wasn't so crowded, but that was not the case. The other thing I've never seen before in the 15+ years we've been coming here is debris in and around the pool - mostly mulch as well as by late afternoon- the water wasn't clear anymore - yuck! Never saw that here before!! The pool was just too crowded - period. The "Kids" pool (the one with the water slide) had gross scum and debris in it - I wouldn't even go in there. None of the staff paid attention to whether babies/small children had on water diapers. We saw a lot of regular diapers going in the pool - gack.
If you are looking for a romantic get-away for Godssakes don't go in June/July. It's summer camp time. We won't do it again.
I hope the hotel takes the advice of making Quinn's pool an adults only pool - or at the very least - not allow rafts/floats or ball throwing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort Golf Club and Spa! Come kick off your shoes and explore paradise found at this one-of-a-kind Florida resort. As one of Marriott's top resorts, we offer an idyllic getaway with the spirit of Balinese beauty, hospitality and well-being. Nestled on three miles of pristine Southwest Florida beaches, the Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort Golf Club and Spa is the perfect destination for a family vacation, a romantic retreat, a memorable meeting or an unforgettable wedding. With several renowned restaurants, championship golf, a world-class spa and a wide range of activities and amenities, Marco Island Marriott Beach Resort Golf Club and Spa now offers even more - including upscale shops for men and women, a free-form fantasy pool with views of the Florida Gulf, new dining options and completely redesigned and redecorated guest rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Odigeo, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club And Spa
- Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club Hotel Marco Island
- Marriott Marco Island
- Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa Florida