“Only the Facade of Luxury” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Eau Palm Beach Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Eau Palm Beach Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Eau Palm Beach Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 S. Ocean Blvd., Manalapan, FL 33462 (Formerly The Ritz-Carlton, Palm Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Prepay and Save 15%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manalapan
Arlington, Virginia
“Only the Facade of Luxury”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The "Eau" markets itself, and bills its customers, as a luxury property; however, the reality is far from the illusion. It is a nice property, but mediocre service and poor food make it an overpriced waste of travel dollars. It was a Ritz a few years ago when I stayed there; it seems clear why it no longer carries that title.

I arrived around 5:30pm to check in and was offered a glass of champagne. However, I didn't want a glass of champagne. My idea of good service would have been a hotel room. Even though check in time is 4 pm, there was long line of people milling about waiting for their rooms, and I was told there was a waiting list of over 30 people waiting for rooms. The facade of luxury: a glass of champagne, but go wait for your room.

They do not, however, extend any courtesy to their guests on the other end of the spectrum. The day I was to check out, I stepped out of my room less than 5 minutes after the official checkout time, and I couldn't get back in. They had deactivated my key card at exactly checkout time. Talk about a double standard. The facade of luxury...

I was there for a business conference, so my food expectations were not overly high, but the food was plain awful. For the buffet dinner the first evening, the courtyard setting was lovely, but the piece of steak that I was served was absolutely inedible. I've had better at a 24 hour highway diner. The side dish was bbq baked beans, obviously from a can. Baked beans in Palm Beach, really?

The next night there was what appeared at first to be a lovely cold seafood bar. If you were one of the first 25 or so people through the line, you got stone crab claws. After that, they didn't bother to restock. The oysters looked like they'd been shucked hours ago and left in the sun, dried out. I love raw oysters, but I also appreciate my health. Fried chicken and collard greens for dinner? Luxury? Might have been ok, but the greens hadn't been washed and were so gritty that they crunched with dirt with each bite.

Bad service was especially evident when it came to getting one's car. Guests are required to valet park at a healthy fee. I was told to call down when I wanted my, and did 15 minutes in advance each time. Even with 15 minutes notice, one could expect to wait for another 15-20 minutes or more for the car to arrive. "Valet luxury?" This is not service, it's major inconvenience.

I would caution anyone from staying at the Eau unless you are there because you have to attend a business conference. If so, research the restaurants in the area. You'll have a much better meal and far better service at the local ethnic restaurants in strip malls. Do not waste your own money on this place.

Room Tip: Beach and pool front rooms have lovely views. The north side overlooks a parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

traveled all day from LA, arriving at 9:30pm. Had called in morning to confirm room and were promised ocean front king. At check in, sent to side street view double bedded room, but it was renovated! Went to reception, where attendant could not have cared less, told of morning confirmation, no dice. Moved us to ocean front but still 2 beds. Not renovated, but old Ritz decor more restful! Reception very rude and uncaring. Hotel not full, could have done better but didn't feel like it. This is our first day, haven't had any of the food yet. Very pricey. Beautiful setting though. Here for conference or would stay closer to civilization. Hope to update this with better news as stay progresses. I have stayed at hotels all over the world and never encountered such attitude at check in. This hotel has a ways to go to keep the 5 diamond rating.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I went on a company trip. So hotel was pretty full with all people I work with. They did not have enough staff. Actually I felt bad for the staff. They worked so hard and still smiled. But it was not fare for them. It was tough to keep up with amount of people. Out room was not good and all and we were not the only one. The decoration was just horrible and they were supposed to be the renovated rooms. Our ac did not work well at all. Apparently we were not the only one with this issue. Also not all the outlets worked in our room and some of the electric did not work... this was that same of other rooms as well. And there were some outlets that had no covers...just wires handing. One of the room has their big screen tv just sitting on their dresser leaning against the wall. Room service was very good and so was room service food. The beach was terrible. Probably the worse I have even too. Really no beach at all until the tide when out. But whether the tide was out of not there were VERY BIG man made concrete blocks in the water. You can cut your feet and legs which some did. You could not dive in or body surf due to these blocks. Very dangerous. The pools were pretty and the property was clean, but they still have a lot of work to do.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Michelle P, Manager at Eau Palm Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear ClaudBG123,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. The feedback from your event planner and other guests has been phenomenal, so I am interested to hear a bit more about the opportunities you and the other guests you mentioned in your review experienced. I looked at all housekeeping and engineering reports from your stay and did not see any complaints about broken AC's, wires hanging from outlets, lack of light bulbs, etc. All of these incidences could have been very easily solved had they been reported since we had full staff here to accommodate your large group.

In reference to our beach, along the Florida coast, many of us experienced The King Tide that was in effect last weekend. This happens one time a year, when a number of natural phenomena happen at once, like the harvest moon and high tide. It is the one time a year when the tides are highest in the state of Florida. In fact, last weekend the tides were so high that some of the streets from Ft. Lauderdale south to Miami were flooded.

I also wanted to address your concern about the old A1A and the rocks in the ocean. Removing these from our beach is unfortunately not an option as they have become a large reef and home that protects the native marine habitat. Depending on the tides, the strength of the surf, etc. you either notice them or don’t notice them at all– and since during your stay there was the King Tide they effected you, however, I trust you were able to find comfort with the 2 oceanfront pools we have on property.

If you would like to discuss your room opportunities further, I welcome you to contact our Rooms Executive at 561-540-4815.

Management Team
Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Thought the hotel was beautiful, but the beach was pretty much non-existent. Loved the pool, the cabanas are very small. Good for a quick get away and 28.00 to park.What is this charging me to park to stay in the hotel. I think that is nonsense

Room Tip: Pool or Beach
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have never written a negative review but I feel compelled after the experience my parents had recently. The hotel was recommended to us. My brother and I booked a night at the hotel for my parents for their anniversary. I spoke with several people in reservations and they assured me my parents would be well taken care of. Beautiful room -check; champagne and fruit on arrival - check - That's where it ended. My parents decided not to have dinner or breakfast in the 'restaurant' - They said it was more like a cafeteria. And in the morning - THE BILL WAS LEFT UNDER THEIR DOOR!!! All charges were charged to my credit card but my parents needed to 'check out' at the front desk and explain that they were not responsible for the charges. Simply inexcusable. You would think a 5-star hotel would have better communication with their employees. Bottom line - I'm sure there are equally nice hotels in this area. I would give one of them my money next time.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

stayed at EAU hotel earlier this year, hotel was full so they gave us an upgrade to an ocean view suite.....WOW ! everthing about this hotel is quality.
even without the upgrade everything marvellous, the pool is overlooking the beach. there are several restaurants and the staff are extremely pleasant ,there are a number of independently owned restaurants nearby

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is not the Ritz Carlton, there is a decline with Eau.Grounds are still beautiful, food/restaurants are mediocre at best (except breakfast), rooms are old fashioned, bars close way too early in high season, location is easy but middle of nowhere. This facility used to be amazing for meetings-no longer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Eau Palm Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!