“Over the top rumors from locals about horrible experiences are right!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Walt'z Fish Shak

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Reservations
Madeira Beach, FL
“Over the top rumors from locals about horrible experiences are right!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband and I have a weekend house on the beach within walking distance of Waltz and until recently we had not dined there because of local rumors about the “blond frizzy haired lady” and what she might do to one’s food if one rubs her the wrong way. I had also heard from many neighbors that the service was so atrocious that it was almost comical and that only John’s Pass tourists go there. Last weekend I decided that the rumors had probably been exaggerated and seeing that the place is just so cute and a short walk from our house, I talked my husband into trying it with me. Well, the service was so horrible and the frizzy haired owner was in fact so rude to us that we left before our meal was served. A foursome at the bar left too, equally outraged, before they received their food. (We all went to the bar at Bubba Gumps and bonded over the experience.) Basically, the blonde lady came to our table while my husband was in the restroom and asked me to move to a table by the bathroom since I was by myself. I told her that my husband was in the restroom and that I didn’t think he would mind but that I just wanted to ask him when he got back to be polite. (I assume she wanted us to move from our 4 top to a 2 top so they could accommodate another party.) Her response was, “well, let him know that isn’t optional.” I said, “excuse me?’ and she said, “you can move over there or you can get up and wait for another table. I need to make money.” We left as soon as my husband returned from the restroom. I cannot believe that this place stays in business. It obviously relies on unsuspecting tourists who are there once!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Altamonte Springs, FL
“Soup Natzi lives At Waltz Fish Shack. Don't bring your children!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

We spent the day at John's Pass in March 2009. We were at Don's Dock across the street, so we decided to have lunch at Walt'z Fish Shack. We are a family of four, Mom, Dad, 4-year-old and 1-year-old. Our 1-year-old was in a stroller... heaven forbid! We were immediately confronted by a blonde, frizzy haired lady (she was mentioned in other reviews). "No strollers allowed, or we will be shut down by the fire department." If this is a strict rule, there should be signage. We were a little taken back by her demeanor, but we had no problem with it. As we were taking our 1-year-old out of the stroller and leaving it outside, another lady confronted us. She said, "No strollers, or the fire department will shut us down!" When we asked to be seated, we were told there were no high chairs and there are no children's menus. We were obviously not welcome, but we were in a time crunch because of our boat charter. We said the baby could sit on my lap. My husband went to the restroom, and the ladies were chatting about us. "I can't believe they are still here." "I guess they are staying". After a while, our waitress (the second lady that rudely greeted us) arrived. A high chair magically appeared. She said they found it in the back. The seafood menu is on a chalk board. There are about 5 entrees to choose from. The food is quite pricey especially considering the lack of hospitality. My husband ordered the conch chowder. I had the fried oysters. My son ordered some type of fish fingers with cole slaw. He said that he loves cole slaw. The waitress snapped, "This has no mayo. You won't like it". As rude as the service was, the food was really good. I wish I could say I hated it, but I can't. The conch chowder was amazing. So much so, that we went back the next day. We literally were scared to enter with our children. I stayed outside with them on the sidewalk. The same ladies glared at us, and my husband got soup to go. We said it's like the Soup Natzi on Seinfeld! We ate our lunch at the tables at Don's Dock. It was ridiculous. If you have children, stay away from Walt'z Fish Shack. No food is worth that kind of treatment.

long island
“Awful Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Notice how all the good reviews come from locals. That's because they don't get treated the way toursists are. Walking in the door, the hostile blonde behind the bar/seating hostess, repeated 3 times that they are a seafood place. For the record I'm not deaf.
Our party of four was slapped with a 18% gratuity after a so so meal that included sand with the rice and peas. This is on top of the attitude and glares from the frizzy blonde that was the seating hostess. The woman actually walked up to our table, scowled and walked away. Unbelievable. The food is ok, but with small portions and is somewhat overpriced. $20 for a small piece of grouper and sandy rice and peas. Don't blow your budget here, try any other place. I wish I could give it zero stars.

Florida
“The best seafood in Tampa Bay area!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

There is no better seafood place in the Tampa Bay area and we've taried a lot of places!!!!! Their food is sooo flavorful and fresh!! We absolutely love it and go there as often as possible. Although, you need to understand they serve quality seafood, that's all the specialize in so don't expect pizza or burgers on their menu!!!

Tampa Bay
“Best seafood in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2008

We go to Waltz several times a month - we live in Treasure Island near John's Pass. The menu is on chalkboards and includes appetizers, main dishes and sides. The conch chowder is spicy and flavorful. Fish chowder is available on occasion.

Fish spread we had last week was amberjack and cobia - served with slices of celery, carrot, variety of peppers, crackers and hot sauce - delicious! The fish is always fresh-caught - scamp, tuna, grouper, shrimp or whatever is available that day. House wine is a bargain - huge glass, reasonably priced. We are regulars - lunch or dinner - our kind of place for seafood!