“bad experience, thieves” 2 of 5 stars

14010 Gulf Blvd, Madeira Beach, FL 33708   |
maryland
“bad experience, thieves”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

My wife and I stay at Surf's Inn all the time, a couple times per year for the past several yrs...We always loved it there, until this last time. I got a call the nite before our departure that my business in MD had been fire bombed...of course we could not leave in the middle of the nite, we waited to pay our bill when the office opened at 9am, as we were leaving in a hurry with a lot of things on our minds...I accidentally left my breifcase behind in the room under the bed..we did not realize this until after hours and we were already in North Carolina, as we drove down this time. I called and left a message on the ans machine and again called in the am when the office opened up. No one else had rented the room and the only person there would have been the house keeper, who would also be the only one who would have reason to see something under the bed as she was changing sheets...not that I'm saying she may not have turned in into the office...but it seems no one has seen the breifcase, which not only had my important business info, checks, etc, in it, it also had some very old and unusual money, which does not even have a value to me, it is non replaceable. I called and spoke to the owner, knowing that they have security cameras all over the property and asked if she could re-run them to check and see if she noticed anyone carrying it out. I was very dissappointed that she told me that NONE of her cameras would have been placed where they could see somone coming or going from the room, stairs, or anywhere on her property...so by now, you are probably thinking the same thing I am thinking,...that she was blowing smoke at this point... She insisted that we must have misplaced it somewhere else, which is NOT the case, and that there was nothing at all she could do. I can't for the life of me understand her explaination of thier camera set up, which we have seen many times during check-in and it DOES show every view and angle of the property. I feel as though I have been mis treated and lied to, and I have been a faithful customer treating Surf's Inn with the upmost respect and praising how nice of a place it was. Very Disapointed in how they handled my delima, and felt as they kicked me when I was down. I had also learned in conversation with the owners wife that her husband also likes to collect old money, maybe a coinsidence, I would hope to think that he would do that to one of his returning customers but you just don't know..especially since they are claiming that they can not review their cameras to check... very unhappy experience, but as the saying goes" a thief is a liar and a liar is a thief! We will never be back or recommend this place ever again...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — stolen property
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Ok, this is my second time staying there. The first time was pretty much described as everyone who loves this place describes it. I love the fact it's a "ma and pa" place and everything that goes along with it. The location is great, the atmosphere, the pool, etc. It has its own character which is unique these days. However, this time everything was great except the room. It smelled horrible. It had a real bad musty moldy odor mixed with urine. The thing is I really didn't mind - I am 31, single male, and somewhat knew what I was getting into. I was basically using it as a place to sleep. I have stayed at 5 star resorts and know the difference. Basically, I was dissapointed that it did not have the same level of service. Though the price was right, I really don't know if i could recommend this to anyone without making a huge disclaimer. Like I have written, I used it as a sleeping room and did not let management know about the smell. I guess the thing is, is that anyone could know this was not right to place someone in this room but they did it anyway. Bottom line, if you have 10 or so dollars more, stay somewhere else. I went back for the experience, and truly truly sadly, may not return based on this experience. I really wish it was better because it is such a unique place.

• Liked — the pool, access to the beach
  • Disliked — the smell in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Treasure Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

recently spent a weekend here and was satisfied. room was second floor facing the gulf and was very old Florida. its your basic motel set up with a stove and full size fridge which was very convenient. we were able to walk to restaurants and bars so the car was parked until check out. there is also a trolley station right out front. only downside was the outside balcony. again, because its an old motel, you share this with all your neighbors and it could get cramped at times. all in all, worth the money if you are looking for a place to stay for a quick getaway.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cramped outdoors and smokey lobby
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

Stayed in an upstairs, 1 bedroom unit with full kitchen and private balcony. Faces a beautiful, wide, practically empty, white sand beach. Not fancy but clean and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Sault, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

This had to be the most discusting accommodations I have yet to encounter, would not recommend this motel to anyone travelling. The room was so dirty and we had to ask if someone could please vaccuum. This was not a daily practice. The towels were so grey they should have been used for rags. Consequently checked out several days early. Not a good way to start a vacation.

Stayed March 2008
FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

We have been there 3 or 4 times now. One time we stayed down the road a bit and longed to be able to sit out on the balcony or watch the waves while in the pool at Surf's Inn. Good ole fashioned Ma and Pa's Motel, yeah it could use a face lift, but you cant beat the price and the relaxation is priceless. Look forward to going back this Summer.

• Liked — old fashioned hospitality and location
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Red Rock
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

My wife and I visited this motel before we booked it. We could not find a reason for the negative reviews, so we booked and stayed 2 weeks.
If we had our way, we would never have left! The location is perfect for beachwalking, and the dolphins are swimming just off shore. There is a city bus stop right outside the door, and a convenience store across the street.
The housekeeping staff are superb! They are always asking if you require anything, and leave extra towels etc., seem to know the little things that mean a lot to vacationing public. The managers are very obliging, and do the groundskeeping and pool cleaning regularly. The pool is nice and warm, which is not always the case in this area.
Although the rooms are a little older in decor, cleanliness and good newer mattresses make up for this and more! I hope the highrises don't replace this one! We will be back soon !
Tom from Ontario.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Surfs Inn? Share your experiences!