“Location and a View” 3 of 5 stars

14010 Gulf Blvd, Madeira Beach, FL 33708   |
Knoxville, Tn
“Location and a View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here while in town for a concert.

A quick summary, then if you want the details, keep reading:

If you want top of the line, go elsewhere. If you are picky, go elsewhere.
If you want a place to sleep and shower, this is your place. If you want location with beach front for little money, this is your place.
It is an older property, but I truly believe your stay is what YOU make it. Sure there are some quirks that will probably offend some and will want to say this is the worse place ever. You cannot please everyone. For us, it was fine (not great, not perfect) but no bugs, we had a place to sleep and a hot shower. Would I stay here again, absolutely. Staff was friendly and it had a great location with pool and beach front.

We have been to all sorts of places from little 'mom and pop' style to 5 stars. While we knew going in this wasn't a diamond ranked motel, it did provide us with a place to stay and enjoy the beach, and that is what we were looking for.

We looked over the amenities page and called with questions to make sure we needed to bring what wasn't listed (hair dryer, etc). Not a big deal for us. The rooms do not have an in room safe (which we are not use to) but we had no issues with our belongings either.

Room servicing was not everyday, which didn't bother us either. We were there just to shower and sleep.

The room and property does show its age, again didn't bother us, just there to sleep and shower.

Our room had a light bulb or two that had burnt out, but it didn't bother us to complain about it, nor was it in a location that had to have light in that area.

We did notice a 'coming soon' board on each end of the parking lot. We looked it up and it appears the property may be sold or pending for new condo style units? Not sure so future availability may be more difficult if this is true.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, but only two story. I would prefer 2nd floor to get better view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had stayed here in 2011 and had a great experience. We had an upstairs central room. Room was great, clean, everything fine, good bargain. Booked for 2012 and was given a downstairs room, it was horrible. Dark, dirty/grimy, bathroom was really bad. The room had a front and a back door, both door jambs were badly damaged and there were bad gaps, evidence that the doors had been broken into. We had paid $70- /night on hotels.com. Went to the front desk to see if they could upgrade us, all we could get was a queen suite. The price was $145/night but the clerk said he would not charge me that as we were staying for 3 nights he would charge me $30/night more. He also made some interesting comments about customers that book through a 3rd party provider (hotels.com) being given the worst rooms because of the discounts they get. The queen suite was ok but not super-clean, the door had been broken (again) the bed was uncomfortable (hard + lumpy). After we got home I found out that my credit card had been charged the full $145 /night! Madeira beach has really done downhill, there are homeless people on the beach. For that price next time I will stay somewhere nicer that is not going to be torn down for condos, and that they put more effort into maintenance.

Room Tip: Insist on an upstairs room, or don't bother.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Flat Rock, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

my 9 yr old daughter and i are reading these few reviews and laughing as we stayed 4 nights- with no problems what-so-ever last may. it was a perfect little "mom & pop" place; just as they call themselves. we have stayed at some GORGEOUS places in the past; and my daughter wants to come back here again. who cares about bubbles in the wall/ painting?? is that why people go to florida- to look at the walls? the pool was nice for her; my husband & i; front desk was friendly; so i dont know where these commenters come from?? we would stay again; no problems.

Room Tip: rooms that face the water; (back of the motel) have the most beautiful view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Louisville Ky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This property was built in the 1950s when small mom and pop motels were the norm. Since then condos and large hotels have taken over the area. While this motel needs some serious improvements, the price reflects the condition. It has small rooms and few amenities, but its right on the beach.
The staff tried to make our 3 night stay as comfortable as possible.
My only real complaints were the lame internet service and the tired beds.
It may get some much needed improvements in 2013.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have a better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Port Richey, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I booked this room for 10/27/12 for what they called a delux suite with 1 double,1twin and 1 pullout sofa for 3 of us and when we went to check in the clerk tried to put us all in 1 room with just a queen she said all the suites were booked and I told her that I did not order just 1 bed and either I got the 1 I ordered then, I would not stay there.Just for the record this was three o"clock in the afternoon I was so upset we wound up going back to clearwater and got checked in to the Marriot in clearwater and later on that evening the clerk called my home and got my 87 year old mom all worried that I did not show up for my reservation and that she was leaving our key outside I dont know what that woman was on but she was rude and she should not work with the public.I called the next morning again and spoke with the mgr and she still left my paperwork with no explanation telling him that I was there and she took it upon herself to chang my room without asking.He told me he was not charging my credit card for the misunderstanding and he was sorry for any inconvience this caused.But we wound up with a much nicer Hotel with the Marriot and everyone there was awesome and very friendly.As for the Surf's Inn it is a very old hotel and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.In the end we were alot better off.

Room Tip: Beware of the price and also picture's of hotel they can be very decieving
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We didn't enjoy our stay in our room. We were booked for 2 nights, but we decided to stay only one night and finished our stay in a different hotel. Room was in a poor condition, wall paint was bubbling and peeling off the wall, there was a gap between bottom of room door and frame allowing you to see lights from parking lot and letting a lizard in, carpet was taped down to the tile with duct tape, lamp shades were full of dust, room layout was not good, and we did wake up with lots of bug bites. On the positive side, we had a front view to the beach, wifi access, and the front desk were polite. Overall, it looks like there is little attention to the place.

• Stayed October 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

I dont care about dating of motel. If u want to get away and have the best access and view of beach and sunsets, come here.quiet. Very pleasant staff. Treat u like family. U can stay here for minimal dollars or complain about it and put in your deposit for million dollar condo. DO NOT LET THIS PROPERTY BE SOLD! One few gem left on beach !!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Surfs Inn? Share your experiences!