“Was not awesome.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Madeira Beach
Greenville, South Carolina
“Was not awesome.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My companion and I stayed here in January with our small, quiet dog. First the pros:
The beach is right across the (very busy) street. And it's close to a homemade sweet shop.
That's all the pros we could come up with. Now the cons, and there are many:
The room was small, dark, and not extremely clean. The TV and furniture were very outdated.
There were photos of the owners all over the walls, which some would say was unique and charming. We just found it creepy. I felt sorry for my dog when I had to leave her in the room.
During the night, there were doors slamming and loud voices. Guess what? They were the owners!
Before we booked with this "inn" (motel), we made sure to ask about amenities that were important to us. They assured us that the pool was heated and wi-fi was available. Both of these proved untrue. My companion put her feet in the pool, and before you know it, we were at the drugstore buying Benadryl because she had an itchy rash.
This year we are staying at a wonderful cottage just down the road. Do your research and don't settle for Snug Harbor Inn.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Banquo, Owner at Snug Harbor Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
I'm glad Lisa and her companion have found a property more to their liking. We feel bad whenever we appear to disappoint a guest, doubly so when the guest made no mention of problems that might have been addressed while they were here. I read and then re-read this review, thinking perhaps they had us confused with a different hotel, but Lisa mentions the little ice cream shop and describes a location that is most likely our inn. I couldn't bring up any reservation that matched the information available on her public profile, so her identity is a mystery to me, which I suppose is as it should be on Trip Advisor. Still, her comments leave me scratching my head. She says we do not have wifi. We do. She says the pool isn't heated. It is. We have a NETGEAR wireless router in the office that broadcasts throughout the property. We receive both cable television and broadband internet service from BRIGHTHOUSE NETWORKS. We have offered this feature 2005. There's nothing unusual about our wifi. Guests choose the network, which I cleverly named "Snug Harbor Inn", then put in the password which is published in an information book in each room. We are happy to help guests connect. I think in 8 years I've only failed once to get a guest's laptop connected to our network, and that guest had some proprietary internet program from her university. I felt out of my depth, so we let them check email on our office computer.
The pool heater is a SOLARIUM HEAT PUMP, set at 81 degrees. It is situated adjacent to the pool, and has a digital display showing the exact water temperature. I don't see how a guest could be in or near the pool and miss it. Our pool is big, 26,500 gallons, so it seems to run quite a bit during the winter months, but 81 degrees is 81 degrees irrespective of the machinery producing it.
As to the Benadryl/rash comment: we are inspected by state and county health departments regularly, and pride ourselves on making our guest's health, comfort, and safety our number one priority. Looking back, I see our pool was inspected in February, and received high marks, so I have to wonder if the rash might have been a reaction to the required amt. of chlorine we keep in the pool to assure the public's health, or perhaps from some other (off property) source. No other guests have ever mentioned any issue even vaguely like this, and it's not the sort of thing most people would keep quiet about. I'm surprised that Lisa did.
We also pride ourselves on housekeeping. Our housekeeper has been with us for five years now, and she takes genuine pride in providing every guest with excellent service. It would be disingenuous of me to say that in our 13 year history there has never been a slip up. We have of course, upon occasion, failed to meet our strived for goals with regard to housekeeping. Floors can have smudges, a toaster might have crumbs that were missed, details can be overlooked. My wife and I live here on site, and have more than once dealt with a previously unseen housekeeping issue that a guest points out to us. I still know how to run a mop and change a sheet. We make it a point to ask guests when we see them as to their needs and wants, and are more than happy to go an extra mile to accommodate special requests. Since Lisa says her studio was not "exceptionally clean" I'm assuming it was "very clean" or some other variation that didn't warrant her mentioning any problem to us.

Each studio is 365 sq feet, which includes a private bath, and a full kitchen. We publish a floor plan and room photos in all our brochures, and on our web page. Apparently Lisa and her companion found us on one of the directories that only shows "bare bones" information. Had she visited a more robust site on which we had some input as to the content, she would have seen that each of our rooms is decorated in a theatrical theme. We have 8 studios, and each one takes its name (and decor) from a production my wife and I have performed in. Chapter II, Same Time Next Year, On Golden Pond, Once Upon a Mattress, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Fourposter, Never Too Late, and Inherit the Wind. We have production photos of each show up in each room, along with posters and reviews. Our intent is nostalgic, not creepy. Had we wanted Creepy, we could have had rooms named Death Trap, Cemetery Club, or Death of a Salesman, but decided not to.
As to out dated: Again, I don't think Lisa and her companion "got" the theme here. We try to give each studio a hint of the set for the show. Inherit the Wind is supposed to remind guests of a 1920's boarding house where Clarence Darrow might have stayed during his famous Monkey Trial. On Golden Pond has set pieces from our production and we try to remind folks of a Summer cottage up in Maine. We have one studio downstairs that gets less light than the others, so it seemed appropriate to put our "castle" in that room, and it became Once Upon a Mattress. -- The "out dated" is on purpose ! -- All the plays (except one) take place in the 20th century, and we made all the needed concessions to comfort there. The televisions are all name brand, (SONY & PANASONIC) cable ready sets that bring in 99 channels, stereo sound and feature remote control. They are CRT, not LCD, so if that is an important feature, readers should note Lisa's objection to this. Each studio also has a DVD player, and a copy of the play germane.
As to shouting and doors: My wife and I are pensioners, so most of our shouting is long in the past. We've an accumulated 30 + years experience in hospitality, and while our "other life" does put a premium on vocal projection, we're sufficiently based in reality to know the difference between making ourselves heard in the back row, and respecting our guest's peace and quiet. I'll plead innocent to this as well. Being a beach property from time to time a guest may not be as considerate of others as we like. I'll point out again that we live on site, and if we don't hear it, we are certainly available to any guest who has concerns, or who is being inconvenienced in any way. Room phones make us available by dialing a single digit, and we have a dedicated "hot line" to our cell phone.
Lastly, I'll ask all Trip Advisor readers to know that at least at this property, your concerns are important to us. If something is less than what you expected, please mention it to the Innkeeper at the time, rather than venting a year later in a published forum.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
bay st louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Myself and two family members stayed here once for a few nights room had a nice set up for several people to stay in and it had a full size frig and a place to cook. We stayed here for we were buying a fishing boat form the seafood place next to the hotel, so it worked well for us for we could walk to our boat. We also used the pier at night to do a little fishing at night enjoyed it for they have a light at the end of the pier we hooked and let go several fish over our stay. Overall, we had only one problem where there was a very very heavy rain and some water got into the room from a planting area on the rear wall, owner offered us another room but we just cleaned up the water in a few mins. and was not really an issue. IF we have business in the area again, and likely will we most likely will stay again. I like hotels where you see the owner around for they tend to take care of their stuff and any problems.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This unique hideaway is absolutely the ultimate getaway especially if you are looking for water access and dog friendly! Beautiful Bay view with Tiki Hut and Pool Deck on one side just across the street is the Gulf of Mexico! TJ and Susan are absolutely the best hosts in town!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
East Troy, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

We were looking for a place we could stop at near St. Pete's beach that would allow our small dog. The owners of this small hotel live on site and have small dogs themselves so they are very pet friendly. The rooms are not that modern but have plenty of character in that they are all themed after plays the actor-owners have enjoyed. We stayed in the "On Golden Pond Room". It had a nice view onto the harbor where we watched birds and the sunrise. Gulf drive is noisy but there is plenty to do in the area.

Room Tip: Stay closer to the harbor away from Gulf Drive.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thunder Bay Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

This motel is in a perfect location, the beach is across the street, best homemade ice-cream is a 2 minutes walk. John's pass is a 5 minute walk. The trolley stop is right in front and very convenient to ride with a all day or weekly pass. Susan and TJ were very nice when approached. We would not stay here again as we were in Rm. 2 which is next to the busy Gulf Blvd and with old windows and doors it sounds like the traffic is in your room. It could do with an intense clean and new sheets and new windows and doors. We did not feel safe as the old front and back door (which is in the minute bathroom) looks like a good push would open them both. A remodel is definitely in order.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Banquo, Owner at Snug Harbor Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Over the course of ten years + of ownership, I have never had a guest question their safety while staying at our Inn. It tests credulity to believe someone would stay for two weeks in an efficiency in which they felt less than secure without one word of mention regarding the issues that they reference in the review. We are inspected by AAA, the state of Florida, the City of Madeira Beach and other organizations, and a major part of these inspections is for safety issues. My wife and I live here on site, and are easily reached by phone, or approached on site. I discussed this with my wife and partner and we both agreed that the only thing remarkable about the guest's stay was their lack of contact with us! We barely saw them during their two week March vacation, but we pride ourselves on knowing when to leave folks alone, so we certainly did not have any reason to assume there were any concerns on their part. The unit in question has both a front door and a back door, both made of solid wood, the front opening onto our parking lot, and the back onto our Key West deck. Each of these doors is equipped with commercial grade, professionally installed Schlage locksets (both knob and dead bolt) In addition, as AAA requires, there is an old style "chain lock" which provides added security. Both doors have peep holes, allowing guests to view anyone outside of the door.

As to the lack of contact; the two ladies certainly stayed busy enjoying the Beach and other attractions in the area. And while this wasn't mentioned, it is, after all what we strive for. We find that Same Time Next Year is one of our most popular suites. This is the first complaint we have ever received regarding traffic noise in that particular room. I notice that the guests were from a smaller city in Canada which probably doesn't generate the amount of traffic noise that (any) beach community would during March. There are, of course, quieter hotels further away from Gulf Blvd, but in so far as this is the main (and for the most part only) North/South thoroughfare on the barrier island it speaks as much to the convenience of our location as to what most guests consider a very minor detriment.

As to the fit and finish; humidity and temperature can change rapidly here on the beach, and I will be the first to admit that these changes can cause a bit of "wobble" in some of the doors. It's a constant struggle it seems between wobble and sticky. Apparently the guests were here during a wobbly period, but had they mentioned any problem, the doors are easily adjusted.
Orlando,Fl.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Each room themed after owners musical productions. Pets allowed, Nice pool,boat slips and wonderful owners.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Gulfport, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

We spent nine nights at the fabulous Snug Harbor Inn, and it was too short a stay! We'll come back as soon as possible and stay as long as possible! T. J. and Susan are the perfect hosts, and they thought of absolutely everything in appointing the room. The location right on the Intracoastal Waterway is, of course, beyond compare, and the Gulf of Mexico is right across the street (we could see it from our room).
They welcome dogs, and all were well-behaved and controlled by their owners; unlike one reviewer above, we saw no unleashed dogs "all over the place." The room, which is at the front of the inn and closest to the boulevard, was absolutely quiet: we marveled at the insulating quality of the window glass.
We are puzzled by the review by "AutumnOntario." She stayed in the same room that we had, either just before us or just after us (the date of her review is wrong), and we can't believe that she's talking about the same room. We loved it! Every aspect of it was clean (bathroom, kitchen, refrigerator, floors, furniture, patio), and the furniture and bed were quite comfortable. TV and wi-fi reception were flawless.
By all means, go there (especially if you have a pet)!

• Liked — Comfort of room; pets welcome; location
  • Disliked — No negatives
  • Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madeira Beach
Shoreline Island Resort
Shoreline Island Resort
#2 of 16 in Madeira Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 404 reviews

Been to Snug Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!