“Fun night on the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Schooner Hotel
14500 Gulf Boulevard, Madeira Beach, FL 33708   |
Ranked #9 of 13 hotels in Madeira Beach
florida
“Fun night on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We rented room 105 for a night to celebrate a friends birthday and wee had a great time! The room we had was small but was recently renovated and was in great condition for an older beachfront hotel. No mold or mildew, just a fresh clean room. It had a microwave, TV, coffee maker, small fridge and small microwave. Beds were very comfy. The best part is that you are right on the beach. If the beach is not your thing they have a small but nice pool area. The only drawback I could see is that the commons area is located outside of some of the rooms and it can be noisy in the morning. Staff is friendly, and helpful, but they too can be loud in the commons area having a coffee break of cig break. We enjoyed ourselves and will surely be back. Pet Friendly and that is a plus.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room away from the commons area for a quieter night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed here twice, in August and then again at the beginning of Sept. The first room I got had two double beds, and a mini fridge and microwave, on the second floor. The second room was an "efficiency" which also had a stove and full size fridge, and was on the first floor.

As previous reviewers have said, the doors do not seal very well, which causes a couple of problems. The smoke from outside is able to drift into the room s(didn't bother me), and the noise levels are pretty high.

As a dog friendly hotel, there was constant barking during both of my stays, but I didn't really hear it inside the room at night.

During my second stay, there was a huge group there for a party, and they were very loud. They seemed to calm down around 10pm though.

Staying here is also more like staying at a condo than a hotel. They do not have daily cleaning service, but they do provide a basket of towels that you can leave outside your door if you need clean towels.

Everything in the room was new and clean. I am really surprised at the reviewer that said the room they got was dirty. Both times, mine was spotless.

The parking can get tight, but they have an overflow lot across the street.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room on the second floor towards either end of the building will be quiter than the ones on the firs...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brooksville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Loved this "on the gulf" hotel. Only 16 rooms, but all are remodeled and beautiful. Our dog had plenty of room to enjoy too. The pool was clean and open well into the evening. We were in the 2 bedroom apt. on the second floor. Nice! We had our own private patio.... ocean front and over looking the pool . 2 flat screen TV's, full kitchen, living and dining area. Bathroom was small but very modern and clean. Could have used more counter space there for health and beauty items. Rain head shower was great. I will return again. We checked out some other places while in the area, but if you are looking for pet friendly, small, and close to the gulf water, this is it. There is a park right next door for "Fido". King sized bed in master was very comfortable and well dressed. AC worked well.

Room Tip: Talk to reservation clerk for your room needs...all are layed out differently. They want to work wit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here the whole weekend for a friends 50th birthday party. When I arrived I was unable to check in due to no one at the counter...The rooms were nice and new and clean. Loved the pool, and absolutely loved the water bowl to clean off the sand from your feet! LOL It's very close walk to the water too. I have lived in FL for 28 years and stayed at many hotels and this one was really great. Kudo's to Lam!! He was so friendly and helpful...I didn't like the fact the pool closes at 9pm, most hotels stay open till atleast 10pm. The maides were to be desired, we ran out of toiletpaper and they were no where to be found until the next morning when they were sitting outside our room early in the morning talking VERY loudly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lakeland, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We went last year for my daughter's 14th birthday. It wasn't upscale or what one would expect from a hotel or more expensive chain, but it fit our needs perfectly. After we booked the room, we read some negative reviews, so we drove down to check it out in person. What we found were clean rooms with very friendly, welcoming staff. The owner was more than happy to show us the room we had booked, and we were satisfied, so we decided to stay. We returned with our daughter and her friends and a good time was had at this beach front hotel. Loved being right on the beach - especially with rates that made it affordable. Could not ask for more.
Unfortunately, when we were ready to book the same place at my daughter's request this summer, we found out they no long allow weekend stays, they now have a 3-night minimum. We were hoping to make this our "birthday weekend" place for our daughter, but we'll have to look elsewhere. Too bad, it was a nice affordable place on the beach.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Kettering, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Was my 3rd year coming to the hotel and was so happy about the updates! The rooms are great - and we love the patio area. The complaint that I have about this hotel is that it is not a structured environment come night time. The staff leave and then it is party central on those patios drinking and smoking pot. There were a group of about 20 college kids out there for our first few days - got no sleep. There was a large group staying in the rooms/apartments by the pool partying,drinking and cooking out right by my window at about midnight - got no sleep those nights. Strange men come off the beach at night and use the hose to wash off and then walk away and leave the hotel. Dogs barking constantly and I mean constantly! Dogs all around the pool area and running around, I understand that people love their pets but that doesn't mean I want them jumping on my kids. Everyone at pool area was dinking and setting their bottles on the edge - not safe with kids playing in my opinion. Last 2 nights we were there, was a large group above us of about 10 people that partied, got drunk, argued, and we actually saw a man and woman fist fight on the patio, then the woman sat outside of our room on the patio howling crying for almost 2 hours before she finally left. Some woman walked down and asked my (60 yr old) mother if she seen a guy walk by because she said she thought he was stealing their pot. Me and my family were forced to stay in our rooms after sunset because we didn't want any involvement in the ongoing outside drama. I know for some - this may sound like a good time, but me and my family will not be staying there again. It was the same thing last year - hoped with the new owner it would be different because it is a perfect place to stay aside from the night time. One of my family members was walking to the store and got put in a police car, checked for injuries and questioned because there was a fight on the beach behind the hotel, he was held in the car for about an hour until another cop brought an eye witness to say that it was not him. For the little bit of extra money it will take - we will be staying in a hotel with a night staff and an entry so people can't just walk up from the beach, hang out, and talk about obscene things.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This beachfront motel has been totally redone and the rooms are very nice. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen. Plenty of room for us, our dog and even visitors. We were there for a week and enjoyed every day of it. The beach was beautiful and our room was just about perfect with a large covered patio right by the pool. The perfect place for our dog to enjoy her time there, as well. The pool is clean with plenty of chairs for relaxing. Although I didn't see it on the website, there is free wi-fi in the rooms. Finding a pet-friendly place right on the beach is difficult, but this place is nice and the rates are great. They even loaned us a blender to use while we were there.

Room Tip: Every room I looked at before I settled on the 1 BR suite was very well-done.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Schooner Hotel? Share your experiences!