“Enjoyable getaway!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Madeira Beach
New Port Richey, Florida
“Enjoyable getaway!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

A well deserved getaway at a quaint motel on the beach. After reading the reviews, I was not sure what to expect upon arrival, but was pleasantly surprised. Right on the beach, this older, newly remodeled hotel was a bargain for the buck. It offered a friendly staff, clean room, a pool, grills, outside tables with umbrellas and direct access to putting your feet in the sand. The room had a small refrigerator, microwave, cold AC and comfortable beds. The bathroom was a bit small, but clean. There were several restaurants within walking distance. We are already planning a return visit with friends.

Room Tip: Next time I would like an end room with a view of the beach.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Our room is amazing, a FULL on view of the gulf and a gulf/pool view to the side ! Beautiful room , nice tiled floors and beautiful bedding. The shower has great pressure and is beautifully tiled. Not a 5 star hotel by any means, but at $98 a night, right on the beach - fantastic ! The pool is heated, and its easy walking distance to shopping and restaurants. Even with Tropical Storm Debby rolling in and constant rain, we love it here ! Would DEFINETLY recommend this place ! Hint: Ask for rom 211 !!!

• Stayed June 2012
Versailles, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

And it's not just because they have no rooms available. As a previous reviewer said, we didn't get the room we reserved, and then we were asked to move rooms the last night of our stay. That is just unaccommodating!
Plus watch how you pay. Because the unmodeled building had been sold, we were told we couldn't get a refund for that last night because we paid the money to the people who bought that building. Preposterous! Our receipt says "Schooner Hotel".
Someone needs to tell them that in the customer service business once you start arguing with a customer - a guest - on who is right, you've already lost. But Schooner, you've won a lot of negative reviews and negative word of mouth from people who come to the area yearly!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
butler,al
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Pet hair on floor and beds.room not cleaned.didnt get the room we reserved

• Stayed June 2012
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Yes, the title was meant to get your attention. This little hotel is old, but some rooms are nicely remodeled...IF you don't mind knocking your knees on the wash basin while you sit on the potty. Tiny bathroom was cute, but had hairs in the shower and a few bugs of unknown origin on the floor by the tile grout where it meets the shower. As I sat down on a chair by the bed, I noticed the white sheets peeking out from the bedspread. There was a stain on the sheet and I didn't even pull back the covers to look for more. The beds do seem new and probably are comfortable, but I did not/could not stay for the nights I had booked. Why? I asked for a non-smoking room and got one...needed it because of asthma. The problem is that I had to walk through a gauntlet of cigarette smoke just to get to my room. Just a foot outside my "non-smoking" room were a few guys smoking like a hay stack. GASP! Once in the room we noticed that the door didn't seal well when closed. I was concerned that I'd have smoke wafting into the room all night and couldn't afford a trip to the hospital. After spending 10 minutes in the room and trying to figure out how I could manage there, we decided it wasn't worth it and we'd have to cancel. It was a very busy weekend due to some kind of local "Pirate Invasion" event, so the hotel was able to rent the room out. They refused to give me a refund (or even a partial refund) because I'd booked a few nights rather than just the one night. Apparently they were able to rent out the Friday and Saturday night, but not the Sunday night. Who knows if that's true or not...I have no proof, but that was their excuse not to let me cancel and get a refund for Friday night. Only one lady there seemed sympathetic to my situation...the smoker lady most definitely was not. If you love cigarettes, don't mind a few bugs or stains on sheets, this hotel will work for you as it has great access to the beach. However, we ended up staying in a wonderful, clean, friendly, very nice hotel down the road and we were all glad to be able to walk to the room without choking. I think these people were very hard-nosed and uncaring. A non-smoking room should at least have a area around it that's free from smokers. Why not have a designated smoking area away from these rooms? What is it with Florida anyway...seems like EVERYBODY smokes there...even on the beach! Also, there is only a tiny parking lot and we had to park away from the hotel and walk to it as the spaces were filled.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I booked a non-smoking room for 3 nights for my mother,who is very asthmatic and can't be around cigarette smoke. Upon arrival and check in, we were very sad to see that the property was crowded with smokers who were apparently permited to light up immediately outside their doorways. To access your room, you have to walk through a breeze way outside, and the breeze way was filled with cigarette smoke. Bad, not to mention that the unit right next to our room had 2 men who sat outside lighting up one cigarette after another, and the door was in extremely close proximity to ours.

We had to cancel our stay, since this was problematic for my mom's lungs. The hotel was able to book people in that room for 2 out of 3 of our cancelled nights, so didn't charge us for the nights they filled. They did, however, charge us $98 for the first night, even though we couldn't stay there. They wouldn't refund it and were unsympathetic to our problem. Most places are willing to make special exceptions if you can't stay in their property due to health related issues, but Schooner was very unwilling to budge on their policy.

My brother in law called them and requested to speak to the manager, and the lady who answered the phone refused to pass him along to the manager and refused to give him a phone number to the manager.

This property seriously needs designated smoking areas. It was a big dissapointment, and the customer service ended up being terrible.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one of the remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Lakeland, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

My hubby and I have been coming for years and find this hotel to always be clean and comfortable. The location is wonderful: located right on the beach (our favorite) and across the street from restaurants. We park the car and then it generally doesn't move until we leave. Nice common areas outside of rooms to relax in the open air and get to know your neighbors.

There are two pools that are always kept clean

We find ourselves comparing other places and beaches to Schooner and Madeira Beach, and always come back here. We stay here at least five times a year. Sometimes just when we have a weekend clear, we jump in the car and aim for the Schooner.

Room Tip: Efficiencies are just a tad more and are worth it.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Schooner Hotel? Share your experiences!