“Don't stay in Bldg 1or a Jr. Suite, all else was great!” 4 of 5 stars

Resort at Longboat Key Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   220 Sands Point Road, Longboat Key, FL 34228   |
Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Longboat Key
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Don't stay in Bldg 1or a Jr. Suite, all else was great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at RLKC for 2 nights to celebrate my wife's birthday. At checkin, Dante made it clear that we would not like the view in the available Jr. Suites, which is what we had reserved. He said he had already been authorized to upgrade our reservation to a 1 brdrm suite. When Dante said this would be in Bldg 1, I told him that I was aware of some issues in Bldg 1 based on reviews I had read. He assured me the issues were only because of the other bldgs were so much newer, not Bldg 1. He also said if we didn't like the room, once we saw it we could change back to the Jr. Suite. Once we saw the 1 Bdrm Suite, we loved it. It was equivalent to a nicely appointed 1 Brdrm Condo. Naturally, we opted to stay there.

To make a long story short, the previous reviews were correct. The air conditioner noise when the compressor turn on was almost unbearable. I say almost because we chose this trade off for the nice homey feel of the place... and the nice view. Besides we were only there for 2 nights. We did have 2 other small maintenance issues: the IR sensors for both TVs was turned away so the remotes didn't work until the maintenance tech moved them to a point where they worked; also, the smoked detector in the bedroom was flashing every few seconds. I know this may be normal for the addressable smoke detectors, but my wife likes a completely dark bedroom in order to sleep, and this flashing even annoyed me too. The maintenance tech said what I expected, that this was normal, so I asked him if he could cover it with a piece of tape. These were the Cons of our stay.

We used the gym and spa facilities every day we were there and loved it all. The staff was very friendly and made us feel welcomed (for a Black couple like us, that hasn't always been the case at some other resorts). We also had fun at the beautiful beach and rather small pool. Again, the reviews were true regarding the waiter service. There was only one waitress we saw taking orders around the pool. We were never able to get her attention the whole time we were there (about 2hrs)... others were annoyed by this also. On the beach there wasn't any waiter service that we could see. We were there about 4 hrs total.

Upon checkout, I did mention issues we had with the resort to the manager, who gave me his card so I can contact him on a future stay with an upgrade.

In summary, we feel the RLKC has some issues that need to be addressed in a straightforward manner in their advertisements and realistically reflected in their pricing. We also loved certain aspects of the resort which were indeed first class. We will be watching resolutions to their issues in future reviews before entertaining a return visit to RLKC.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Ted-Claudia:
Thank you for staying with us and your review. I have spoken to Dante and I believe there may have been some confusion in what he said. There is not a view challenge with our junior suites as many of them our similar views to the 1-bedrooms. Also, our buildings were all built at the same time and remodeled at the same time so there is no age difference in building one over any others. Building one is one of our most requested buildings and a great building to stay in.
I do apologize for any challenges you had specific to your unit. I have asked our engineering to take a look at the specific rooms A/C as if it needs repaired/replaced we will do so. Also, the remote sensors should have worked upon your arrival and I apologize that you had to deal with these nuisance issues. It is our sincere goal for everything to be perfect upon your arrival
I’m glad you enjoyed the gym and spa facilities and that the staff made you feel welcomed and they were friendly. Glad you also enjoyed your time at the pool and beach area of the property. Your comments on wait staffing have been discussed with F&B management. We have made significant changes in this area recently including adding service flags at the beach to make it more convenient for our guests who wish to have drink or food service.
We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

560 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Cranston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I just got back from a little slice of Paradise. From check in to check out the experience was excellent. Staff was very friendly, without being fake. The location was perfect,the resort's private beach was wonderful. The beach was never crowded and many times felt like you had the beach to yourself. Quality of food was excellent, but a little pricey.
We will be back.

Room Tip: Building two will give you a good view of sunset.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear DarkCloud1967:
Thank you for the “5” rating and for your recent stay! I’m very pleased to hear the check-in and checkout experience was genuine and friendly. It’s great that you enjoyed the location and that the uncrowded beach was enjoyable. Thank you for mentioning the excellent food quality even though you feel it was a bit pricey. We look forward to seeing you next time.

Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Accommodations at this resort are not clean, the pool is in terrible condition and not children friendly. Too many adults drinking and carrying on around the pool, which children should not be around.

If you rent from an owner, inside or outside of the main hotel, you cannot use their facilities (i.e., food and beverage, and/or beach rental).

The quality of service is not good, water leaking in rooms, bath tubs will not drain, bugs in every room.

This at one time was a great resort but going down hill fast. I have stayed at the resort for over ten years and this year will be my last.

Room Tip: Ask that the rooms are well taken care of, as they are not, need updating, etc. The pool is not c...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Charlotte N:
I appreciate you taking the time to post a review, but since it sounds like you were staying as a guest of a Non-Participating owner and not with the hotel itself we have no control or access to those few units. If you book through the hotel (Resort at Longboat Key Club), then you would gain access to all of our amenities through the resort and club and we clean and inspect the units to ensure you do not experience the types of issues you are mentioning. Our units also enjoy regular engineering preventative maintenance, housekeeping deep cleanings and regular extermination program. Our suites are also remodeled at the same time to maintain a consistent look throughout.

Thank you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I planned this getaway to LBKC as a surprise for my husband! And what a fabulous surprise it was, for both of us!! To begin with, our room was spectacular! We stayed in building 4 in a Junior Suite. This building faces away from the pool, so that all you see from your balcony is the gorgeous sky and crystal blue water; and all you hear are the waves rolling in. The kitchen is fully stocked with all little necessities, including cookware! On our last night, we made a lovely dinner right in our room consisting of the fresh fish we had caught earlier in the day! I must not forget to mention that the fishing on this beach is equally spectacular! Back to the room, the bed was very comfortable, we both slept very well. Everything else from the Bose radio system, to the dark chocolates left on our pillows allowed us to completely unwind and relax. In fact, I have never seen my husband in such a relaxed state. With our dearest regards to the resort staff, everyone was very pleasant and eager to ensure that our every need was met; especially the beach staff! These gentlemen brought our chairs right to wherever we wanted! We decided to go kayaking, and the staff was there to help us get set up, and offered pointers for a great time! We highly recommend the kayaking! There is also something to be said for the location of this resort, aside from the breathtaking scenery, there is a Publix grocery and a gas station just minutes away. In addition, we were able to visit the beautiful St. Armands one day, and then travel just a few minutes north to snorkel in Coquina Key the next day! It is for all of these reasons that we will definitely be coming back! On our next visit we will even be bringing along our two young boys to share in the wonderful experiences that the LBKC has to offer! Thank You!

Room Tip: Gorgeous view + peace and quiet = Building 4! Gulf view is a must!
Dear Sara
Thank you for your “5” rating and wonderful review. I’m glad your stay with us was a successful surprise for your husband. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed the spectacular views from building 4 and you enjoyed hearing the waves from the Gulf. Great that you found the suite well-appointed including the kitchenware and the Bose sound system.
Thank you for recognizing our hard working Pool and Beach team for being friendly and always there to help you with your enjoyment of the beach. I agree the Kayaking experience from our beach is wonderful.
We look forward to your next visit when you bring your entire family to enjoy the resort.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

a one bed room beach view.....great place service, service on the beach food drinks what every you like...great room...friendly staff...you will enjoy...great place to bring the kids too...or just couples.

Dear Happy6085
Thank you for your very nice review. Glad you enjoyed everything about your stay from the one bedroom suite view to the service throughout. Thank you for mentioning the staff is very friendly and recommending us to others as an enjoyable place.

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I stayed here on business in early June. The resort is nice. Beach was clean and pool seemed nice as well. Hotel staff were very accommodating. The room was nice as well. The toilet made funny noises at night which was disturbing but other than that it was good. My only complaint was someone before me had left false eyelashes (used) stuck to the counter. A little gross....

Room Tip: I had a junior suite with an oceanview.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for being our guest and for your review. I’m glad that you felt the resort and your suite was nice and that the staff were very accommodating. I apologize for the 2 issues in the suite. Those should have both been resolved prior to you occupying the unit and I have reviewed this with our inspection team. Our continued goal is to present a perfect suite for you upon checkin. If anything is ever not perfect, we want to hear about it while you are with us so we may correct as well. Thank you again for being our guest.

Lake Forest, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We stayed at the this hotel on June 5 and 6, 2014 and had a wonderful time. When we checked in, they double upgraded us to a two bedroom suite. The room was simply spectacular. It had a 40 foot balcony and seemed to be directly over the beach on the 8th floor. The view was so good that we decided to have our meals in the room to enjoy the view. The service was excellent. This was one of the finer hotels that we stayed in the United States. I highly recommend it.

Dear TravelingRomantics:
Thank you very much for the “5” review and for your recent stay with us. I am not able to improve upon your wonderful comment of “this is one of the finer hotels that we stayed in in the United States”, so I simply say thank you and we appreciate you recommending us.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!