“Still one of our favorite places” 4 of 5 stars

$75 Daily Resort Credit
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Geneva, Switzerland
“Still one of our favorite places”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

My family has been coming to Longboat Key Club for the last 12 years- and my husband's family before then. We now live in Europe and we still chose to come here when back in the states. The resort is beautiful, the pool is always great for us and our daughter. The beach is beautiful and the resort does a nice job with helping you get set up with the chairs etc. The location cannot be beat. The rooms always work great for us. We are very comfortable at the resort. What i will say is that we noticed a decline in the service. Our check in was not smooth at all, even though we had an American Express reservation which should have had early check and a room upgrade- we got neither and in fact got into our late. Not an great way to start. The lunches and such seemed a bit unorganized when ordering at the pool and beach- but the food quality was great. We found everything to be very clean and the staff to be friendly. We will be back- I am sure- but we hope to see this resort get back to where it has always been in the past.

Room Tip: We always ask for a corner room sea view room in quiet building 4.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear RSDriscoll
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay and for your many stays over the last 12+ years. Thank you for mentioning the beauty of the resort as well as the beach. I’m happy the beach team took good care of you while enjoying your time on the beach as well as your comment that the staff was friendly. Thanks also for mentioning that the rooms work well for you as well. I apologize that check-in did not go as well for you as it should have. I believe you were with us over the Easter weekend and therefore we were at capacity so the upgrade was not available. I apologize that we were unable to get you into this specific location as early as we hoped. It does appear we were able to check you in approximately 1 hour before normal check-in time. Non-the-less, there is no excuse for a check-in that was not “smooth” and I will review your concerns with our Guest Service team. I know each of their goals include providing a very welcoming experience and I apologize. Sorry you felt the lunch service was a bit unorganized. In the past few weeks we have added service flags to the beach operation which has already proven to assist with expedited service. Thanks for your comments and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
stanmore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Having been coming to the resort for over 20 years I can safely say that things are rapidly going downhill at one of my favourite hotels. The location is superb but that is their only saving grace. The staff, apart from housekeeping, are detached and adopt a couldn't care less attitude. The suites are tired and in need of a total refurbishment. It is very sad to witness the decline of such a formerly delightful resort.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Melissa1611
Thank you for reviewing the resort. I’m glad you love the location. I agree Longboat Key is a wonderful location with pristine beaches and a great community. I am terribly sorry you did not have your usual experience this time and felt the staff was detached and your suite was not to your liking. I assure you we are constantly updating the resort. I appreciate the direct correspondence you had with us via email as well. As mentioned, we are addressing your specific concerns with our associates and I assure you we strive to provide unparalleled service experience. I hope we will have another opportunity to prove this to you.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

If you want to be right on the beach in Longboat, this is the place. Lovely! We had room 1107. Loved it. So quiet, yet just steps from the beach path. We debated the Ritz or LBKC, and we are so happy we chose LBKC resort. The staff was SUPER! They truly catered to our every need. We felt special. Room clean. We will be back next year! Oh, and the kids club staff was just great.

Room Tip: 1107...low floor...step right out onto beach.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Susan T:
Thank you for the “5” rating. So happy that you had a great stay, loved your room location and you enjoyed the beach as well. I’m so glad that you found the staff to be SUPER and they made you feel special. It was our pleasure having you as our guest. I agree that the Camp Loggerhead team is wonderful and all the kids just love their time in the day camp. See you next year.

Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Yes, the bathrooms, closet doors and cabinets need to be updated, but can't beat the location or the spacious rooms. This was our 4th year at the hotel and plan to return next year. Overall can't beat the location - just minutes from shopping and downtown Sarasota. Lots of wonderful restaurants nearby and just a short walk (over the walkway) to a beach full of chairs, umbrellas and cabanas. Also had the best butter croissant breakfast sandwich at the pool side restaurant with wonderful potato crisps.

Room Tip: I personally prefer Building 2 or 4 as you get a view of the sunset and get sun on the balcony in th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Imn83:
Thank you for your recent review. The bathrooms and cabinets are scheduled for our next renovation and not included in our most recent renovation which included all furnishings, electronics, windows and doors. Happy to year you enjoyed your breakfast at our poolside Barefoots Restaurant as well as our private beach area. Glad you have been enjoying your time each year and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We travel to beach resorts all over the country & Caribbean. I've always loved the resort but have seen a major decline in recent years. From everything being fabulous to average/poor now.
We normally stay in a two bedroom ocean front suite which are spacious. This time (being last minute) we were in a one bedroom suite. The views are spectacular from the oversized balcony. The furnishings are nice. The kitchens are not stocked with simple essentials. And the cleanliness is lacking. It was as if the maid service no longer cares or has time. Our room was also in need of repair.
Food on property is a big deal for us. We purchase several meals a day as well as drinks on property.
Out of five days not one order was done correctly. I have no idea of what is going on with their kitchen & staff but the food is now terrible. The servers are not polite either.
It's such a shame that this once shining gem on the gulf is going downhill and lacks thoughtful customer service.
When we travel we don't mind spending $$$$ for great accommodations, service & food...but you won't find it at this resort. Those days are gone. I hope that they can shape back up & become the gem they once were!

Stayed March 2014
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Tootlepops:

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review your stay. I’m glad you enjoyed the spaciousness of the balcony and the view. I apologize you did not find the kitchen stocked to your liking. We stock the kitchen with the items we feel most people will use on vacation. However, we have many other items that we can deliver upon request. Next time, just let us know of any specialty items you would like and we will gladly include them in the suite. I’m sorry you felt the housekeeping service was not up to par. I have reviewed your thoughts with housekeeping and engineering. I have also shared your restaurant observations with the Food and Beverage manager. Service and food quality have always been a positive mark for us and I am disappointed this was not the case with you. I hope we will get another chance in the future to have you at our resort and you receive the experience you deserve.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Easy to get to, facilities right there, restaurants minute's away, directly on the water.
After battling big city airports, Sarasota is a pleasure. On our last two visits, we were the only people in the TSA line. The rental car is just outside the door - no waiting for a shuttle to some offsite location and then a 20 minute ride to the resort.
You pass the golf course and fitness center as you drive to the resort. St. Armands has a number of good restaurants and interesting shops and is only 10 minutes away.
Our room had a fantastic view of the Gulf and all the staff is very friendly.
There are places we stay on the east coast but you have to drive 30 minutes for golf or the restaurant parking at the location can be a hassle.
Ideal for a short (or long) vacation.

Room Tip: High, floor facing the gulf
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear c48gold
Thank you for the “5” review. I agree that SRQ (Sarasota) Airport is very simply and beautiful to come in and out of. I enjoy going in and out of that airport as well. Glad you enjoyed your suite with a “fantastic” view of the Gulf and I appreciate your mention of the friendly staff. I am proud of the associates that work here and deliver exceptional service every day.
I agree that it is hard to find a beach resort with golf right on premise. We are lucky to offer 45 holes right here. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Leesburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We just returned from a weekend at Longboat Key Club. It is very relaxing. We stayed in building 4 on the first floor and had a nice view of the ocean. The walkway to the beach is very close and the beach is beautiful and full of shells. Beach chairs, umbrellas, and cabanas are available. We didn't get in the pool but it looked very nice and had lots of chairs and umbrellas available. The resort has bicycles that you can use, spa services, a shuttle service, concierge, daily newspaper, and nightly turndown service. The resort has a great location with a short drive to St. Armand's Circle and it's also near a Publix and CVS. We had a refrigerator in our room and it was nice to run over to the CVS for some bottled water and wine to store in the fridge. The resort does stock drinks in the refrigerator door for you at a fee. The room was spacious with two sink areas in the bathroom so we could each have our own little space. The only issue we had was that the 11am checkout is fairly firm and we asked for an extra hour but the request was denied. They did offer to store our luggage for us until we were ready to leave which was nice. Also the safe in the room didn't work. Overall the property is beautiful and we hope to make it back to this resort soon!

Room Tip: We were on the first level in building 4 and still had a nice view of the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Teky c:
Thank you for your review of the resort. I’m glad you enjoyed the view from 1st floor of building 4 and the ease of access to the beach. For those shell hunters you are right in that they are plentiful. Thanks for mentioning many of the services we offer as well as the amenities available at the pool and beach area. I’m sorry you had a challenge for the safe as it should have been resolved prior to arrival. Without knowing your specific room number, I will have engineering check all 1st floor rooms in that building to be sure we have resolved the issue. I apologize we did not have late checkout available on the day you were departing, which likely means we had an extensive check in. Glad we offered to hold your bags and full changing and shower facilities are available at our spa. We hope to see you again soon.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!