“Great room and view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Longboat Key
Leesburg, Florida
“Great room and view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We just returned from a weekend at Longboat Key Club. It is very relaxing. We stayed in building 4 on the first floor and had a nice view of the ocean. The walkway to the beach is very close and the beach is beautiful and full of shells. Beach chairs, umbrellas, and cabanas are available. We didn't get in the pool but it looked very nice and had lots of chairs and umbrellas available. The resort has bicycles that you can use, spa services, a shuttle service, concierge, daily newspaper, and nightly turndown service. The resort has a great location with a short drive to St. Armand's Circle and it's also near a Publix and CVS. We had a refrigerator in our room and it was nice to run over to the CVS for some bottled water and wine to store in the fridge. The resort does stock drinks in the refrigerator door for you at a fee. The room was spacious with two sink areas in the bathroom so we could each have our own little space. The only issue we had was that the 11am checkout is fairly firm and we asked for an extra hour but the request was denied. They did offer to store our luggage for us until we were ready to leave which was nice. Also the safe in the room didn't work. Overall the property is beautiful and we hope to make it back to this resort soon!

Room Tip: We were on the first level in building 4 and still had a nice view of the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear Teky c:
Thank you for your review of the resort. I’m glad you enjoyed the view from 1st floor of building 4 and the ease of access to the beach. For those shell hunters you are right in that they are plentiful. Thanks for mentioning many of the services we offer as well as the amenities available at the pool and beach area. I’m sorry you had a challenge for the safe as it should have been resolved prior to arrival. Without knowing your specific room number, I will have engineering check all 1st floor rooms in that building to be sure we have resolved the issue. I apologize we did not have late checkout available on the day you were departing, which likely means we had an extensive check in. Glad we offered to hold your bags and full changing and shower facilities are available at our spa. We hope to see you again soon.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Corinth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The staff was attentive & friendly. The beach area was magnificent. Best beach I have been to. We used the workout facility, spa services, pool area dining, restaurant, pool, and beach. Everything, including the rooms, were clean, well manicured, and definitely upscale. I am planning a family vacation with my kids, and we will be staying there.

Room Tip: We had a golf course view, which was beautiful to wake up to each morning. We were in building 5. We...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Kristi316
Thank you for the “5” review. Fantastic experience, friendly and attentive staff, everything upscale and manicured, best beach you have been to……...…..I’m not sure I can improve on your comments, so I will simply say thank you very much and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

A friend and I just returned from a weekend at Longboat Key Club. It was a mom's weekend away from the hustle and bustle of family life. We had a wonderful time, it was so relaxing. The hotel was a good choice for a getaway. The pool was nice, the beach was gorgeous. Food and drinks were good and the staff were very friendly. Close by we were able to spend a bit of time shopping, but truly you don't even need to leave the resort! Shuttles are offered for easy access, but as a FL resident I had my own car. I would definitely return and bring my family.

Room Tip: We had a pool view with afternoon sun. The pool area was not noisy at all, it was a good location f...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear FamTrav08

Thank you for your wonderful review of the resort. I’m very pleased you found the staff to be friendly and you had a wonderful time for your Mom’s weekend away! I agree that the pool and beach area are gorgeous and I’m glad you were able to relax and enjoy them. Glad you will be returning with the family soon. Be sure to check out our Camp Loggerhead on that trip.

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

We returned to this hotel after a year and feel it is slipping downhill or at least not implementing the improvements needed. The beach location has been pictured and reported on in so many other reviews I'll leave it alone - but the hotel's amazing location on the beach is its saving grace and probably the reason for all the 5* revies. The rooms are fine if you get a renovated one so I had no issue there. The problems start with the staff - who are generally slow, poorly trained and seem not very interested in being there. Be prepared for a good 30 minute + wait to get your lunch once you find a server to help you. As an example - our last full day we sat at a table by the pool for lunch. Had to go and find a server after waiting 10 minutes. After we ordered two burgers we had nothing 35 minutes later. After chasing someone down we got our food 40 mins after ordering, 50 mins after sitting down. Please note this was not an anomaly. It happened every time we ate there. Of course the 20% gratuity is already included so there is little incentive to provide decent service.
Walking onto the beach you will be greeted by two guys hanging out shooting the breeze. You will ask for chairs and they will drive them over to the spot you pick and put them down for you. Friendly enough but that's it. How come at the Ritz on Lido (or any decent resort) they get the towels for your and put them on the chairs and even roll one into a neck pillow. The chairs are my biggest complaint - when we were there 14 months ago I was told they were in the process of being replaced. Please see the attached pic of the chairs - circa 1970 from my Grandma's condo. Do they look like resort beach chairs to you? Really - how hard is it to order 50 new chairs - unless you really don't care about your guests. There is practically no drink service on the beach. A sever will sporadically walk around but if you're sitting to far away from the main section they won't bother coming over.
Does my review sound picky? Perhaps - but when I'm paying the kind of resort prices charged I expect resort service. How this level of service has allowed this hotel to remain an AMEX fine hotel and resort is beyond me.
This hotel is just not close to decent value for money and certainly not a luxury resort.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review us. You mention the rooms being fine if you get a renovated one. All of our suites were renovated at the same time and I am glad you enjoyed everything about your suite.
I am very disappointed in your view of the employees of the resort. I have reviewed your comments on your food and beverage experience with the Barefoots General Manger and I assure you this is not our standard whatsoever. Our associates are committed and any challenges will be corrected. The picture you took is of one of our beach chairs. We did replace 150 of those this year, but with the same type of chair as it has been successful for the beach and complement the cabanas. We are in the process of doing a re-design to the beach, which will be introduced later this year. We have also replaced all of the chairs and tables on the pool deck as well as Barefoots and they are all within 6 months of age and are the sling style chairs. Thank you again and I’m sorry you did not find value on this trip.

New London, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We needed to STOP and take a break from work . This is a beautiful spot right on the white sandy beach on the west coast of Florida. You really will feel like you are at a true resort.
The king suite was perfect for the two of us and the view of the Gulf is spectacular.

Dear Erin A:
Thank you for the “5” review. We greatly appreciate you being our guest. I’m glad you found it to be a beautiful spot of beach and felt like you were at a true resort. Great that the Junior Suite was perfect for your stay.

Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed May 9-11 and really enjoyed the service and that view! Originally we had some problems with our first room with the air-conditioner being frozen up - Building 1. The hotel quickly upgraded us to a large 2 bedroom suite with the most beautiful view - Room 2703. The hotel also sent their staff at 11:00 pm to help my husband transfer our things to the new room. They were very courteous and professional. Every employee, from the guys on the golf carts to housekeeping and front desk personnel were friendly and helpful. My children spent most of their time on the beach and at the pool. The rooms themselves were clean and the beds very comfortable. We did not use the golf course or tennis courts. I will definitely go again for a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: Room 2703 had panoramic view of ocean but the pool was still right below to see children.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Cheryl J

Thank you for your review and for being our guest. I apologize that you experienced an A/c issue in your suite and I’m glad you enjoyed the upgrade to a two bedroom due to this situation. We greatly appreciate your business and really appreciate your mention of all of the personnel being friendly and helpful. Glad you found the rooms clean and comfortable and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Solihull
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We have stayed at the Longboat Key club on four occasions over the last few years but noted the rooms were getting more tired each visit and other facilities such as the pool area were not really up to the standard for such a large resort.
On the recommendation of one the Club representative's given on our last visit we decided since we were staying for a month in Sarasota to try one of the excellent condos available for rental in the immediate area .
We have rented a magnificent 3 bed condo for at least a third of the cost of the best deal the Club could offer. It has a beautiful pool and is on the same magnificent beach as the club .
During our first week we called into the Club one evening to buy some champagne and have a meal but were refused to be served as we were not Club members or guests .Fair enough although we were surprised they didn't want our custom and as it wasn't high season would have thought they would have been pleased to welcome back long established clientele.
However what really got to me was when I asked the customer relations manager if we could perhaps pay some charge so that if we wanted to call in we could do so , he with all apparent seriousness produced an application form and an offer to enrol us for 25,000 dollars.!!!!
Quite frankly I think the Club is in serious danger of disappearing up its own backside if this is the high handed way they want to treat their potential clients.

Never mind -we have found far better facilities at a fraction of their costs and hope a lot more people vote with their feet and try somewhere else the next time they go to Longboat Key.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Since you did not stay with us, you are probably not aware of all the continual upgrades being done around property. These include new pool and Barefoots furnishings, completely remodeled spa, new Mind and Motion fitness studio, remodeled golf locker and changing rooms, new (2 years ago) windows and doors in all guest buildings. Our Harborside golf course has had many re-nourishments done to it and now Islandside Golf course is under a complete renovation, including changing the way the course plays, new irrigation and new sod throughout.

Yes, you possibly can find a private condo to rent for less than renting at the Resort and Club. These will be decorated to the individual owner’s tastes. With a non-related rental, you do not get access to any of the resort or club amenities. This certainly should be factored in to your price/value of the rental.

I appreciate that you feel you should be given access even though you are not staying at our resort. However, our first and foremost priority is serving our guests and members. If we did not regulate who uses our private facilities, then the comfort of our current guests could be affected. We are here to be sure our guests receive 1st class services and uncrowded venues here at are our property. Again, I am very sorry that you feel slighted by not being able to take advantage of the wonderful amenities that our guests receive.

Whatever your decision on where to rent, we are just happy you are staying on Longboat Key in our community.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!