“Terrific Tennis and Pleasant Resort” 4 of 5 stars

Resort at Longboat Key Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   220 Sands Point Road, Longboat Key, FL 34228   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
Massachusetts
“Terrific Tennis and Pleasant Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I spent five nights at the resort early in April. A hotel of this size is not our favorite, but we chose to stay here based on the excellent tennis reputation. That was most certainly accurate! Zo, the tennis concierge was wonderful in setting up doubles matches for my husband; the courts were great and there are many players either at the resort or wintering on Longboat Key to provide plenty of variety and excellent competition.

Our room was fine. We were in the lagoon view suites and would actually request that room again. These rooms are a bit more quiet and we enjoyed sitting on our balcony watching boaters and dolphins. Room was quite clean with a nice kitchen area, very convenient for snacks, lunches and drinks. There was a good sized flat screen TV and seating area which we really only used to watch some of the NCAA Final Four. There was a little issue with the faucet for our shower, but after we called, it was resolved quickly. I would say the rooms, primarily the bathrooms could use some updating, but nothing that would keep me from staying again. I am very particular about linens and these were fine.

The beach is lovely, long and nice for walking. There are plenty of chairs. The pool was very busy and being used mostly by families with children having a blast. If you are counting on a quiet pool or beach bar, the level of activity there might bother you. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and it was quite good. There was an excellent brunch on Sunday morning.

There are a few good restaurants in the immediate area, but if we return we would venture into Sarasota more as it seemed very easy to navigate. St Armand's Circle, with many restaurants and shops, is very near the hotel, but is very busy and parking is a little tricky.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Beachreader05:
Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your time staying in April.
I appreciate your kind words concerning Zo and the tennis program. Glad you were able to take advantage of Zo matching you up with others.
I agree that the lagoon view suites are quiet and a wonderful view of dolphins or manatees. Sorry you had an issue with the shower and thanks for noting it was resolved quickly. I understand the pool was busy when you were here. Keep in mind that was during family weeks when there is more activity.
Glad you enjoyed the Sunday brunch and your breakfasts at Sands Pointe.
We look forward to you visiting us again in the future. We appreciate your feedback.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Payed over $500 a night for our room and were extremely disappointed for what we had hoped to be a nice resort. We walked into our room that smelled like smoke, the bathroom fan was broken, an active beehive was on our patio, and the dryer was broken. After being shown a smaller room as an alternative at same price we stayed with option 1 hoping it would work out. We were told that the hotel can't control if someone smokes in the room. We headed to beach and walked up to the hotels beach attendants. One had a can of tobacco in his hand and the other guy had a drink. We asked if we could have chairs and they told us just to look for open ones. We then asked for towels and had to get our own at the pool. This is when we discovered how dated and small the pool is. Additionally for an inclusive resort they had very few beach amenities for kids. The beach side service was terrible. You are better off going to another resort or town that understands service and first class hospitality. Don't make the mistake we did!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
I am truly sorry you had challenges during your stay. We do not in any way condone anyone smoking in a room. If we find evidence of it, we charge the guest a cleanout fee as all of our rooms are non-smoking. We can and do work hard to control it. In your case, I'm sorry the issue occurred. The beehive and fan should have also been addressed during pre-arrival inspections. The second room you were offered was of the same category as the first but there can be slight size differences, but always as large or larger than the room description. Also, It is absolute policy that our employees are not to use any tobacco at the beach and I have never seen them do so in my 8 years working there.
The team works hard to satisfy our guests and the service needs to always be better than what you describe. I have met with our department heads and addressed your concerns to ensure procedure is always followed.
I met and spoke to you at the beach when I was making rounds greeting guests. You reported to me that your dryer was not working and you needed to get your clothing dried before leaving. We checked, and the setting on the dryer was set to "fluff". We set to the proper control and the items dried quickly.
Again, I apologize for not meeting your expectations which is disappointing to me and the team. .Thank you for the feedback.

tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My two girlfriends and I went for the weekend for some relaxation. This exclusive resort is small, quaint, a bit one the 80's side-decor wise, but super clean. The rooms are so comfy, the staff- amazing, the amenities are absolutely fantastic. Everything is charged to the room, so you needn't worry about taking your wallet anywhere. I still maintain that the beaches on Florida's west coast are among the best in the world, and the private beach at this resort is exceptional. Oooh, cabana boys! The food was so good that us gals just made this place our home for the weekend- we did not leave the resort. I won't say who, but there was a handsome actor also staying there- and he sure gave us something to look at every morning at breakfast! We will be going back, with the kids as we did notice that it is a very kid friendly place to visit. Go!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, September 22, 2014
Dear DannyCappy
Thank you for your “5” review and for having your girls getaway weekend with us. Glad you found us very clean, but sorry you felt the décor was a bit on the 80’s side. I assure you were are constantly doing upgrades to the property. Happy to hear the staff was amazing, suites comfy and the amenities fantastic. I agree that the beaches here are among the best in the world and that you enjoyed the service from the beach team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Dining at the Resort's Sands Point Restaurant is a very pleasant experience. Friendly staff, good menu selection, and well prepared delicious food served professionally. The minus is the prices with for instance lamb chops costing $55.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear SRQMike:
Thank you for the "5" rating and for taking the time to rate your experience at Sands Pointe. Glad you found the "staff friendly, good menu selection, and well prepared delicious food served professionally." we look forward to having you dine with us again in the near future.

brooklyn, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We came to the resort with our three year old and 15 month old and had a wonderful stay. The resort provided two Foundations brand pack n plays which were clean. They also had the proper small pack n play fitted sheets which is rarely the case when we travel to other hotels. I communicated with Mr. Rick Benninghove prior to our stay and he made sure all of my requests were met. He got us a fabulous room (2001) which was on the top floor so no noise above. The room had a great view of the pool, beach and bay. Also had our room available an hour prior to check in. A double stroller I had mailed down was waiting for us at check in.

The room was really nice. Clean. And we had a two bedroom suite which was very spacious. The kids absolutely loved the room and were always excited to get back and run around inside and on the patio. There are ipod docs (old ipod receiver) so we could have silly dance parties to our kids' fave tunes. We had our baby sleep in the guest room and our three year old sleep in the common area. This set up generally worked well for us. The one thing I would caution others to is the air conditioning unit is in a closet near common area and it is rather loud when it turns on. Fortunately I am neurotic and brought my kids white noise machines which helped with this though it was still loud.

The beach is beautiful. Nice white sand. I took my three year old out in the ocean in his floaties and he loved it. Very calm water. Both kids loved playing in the sand. It was always easy to get a couple umbrellas and chairs right near the water even with the resort being close to capacity. I was only approached once or twice for a food or drink order though. Lots of friendly families with little kids to play with. We dragged our double stroller out to the beach and kids had snacks in there under the shade of umbrellas. Saw lots of other families doing the same.

The pool was nice and heated. Also always easy to get a couple chairs there. We would often place our food order at the bar for take out, hop back in the pool and begin getting the kids ready five or ten minutes later and the food would be there ready to go up with our family for lunch and nap in the room.

Room service was quick and friendly, though often forgot drinks. Were quick to bring up missing items. Menu is a bit limited. Another guests did tell us you could request food from one of the restaurants through room service at dinner time. We did not try this but had we been there another night we might have.

Housekeeping did not make it to our room one day despite us being out of the room from 10 to 1:30. That was a little disappointing.

Truly, all the personnel on the resort are friendly and helpful which is rarely the case at other resorts.

We attended a wedding here which was also really nice. Picturesque on the beach. The ceremony was a bit hot in the sun. The reception was under a tent. Also warm. Buffet dinner. Food was tasty. It was a good wedding venue for kids cause they literally played in the sand throughout the whole thing.

One strange complaint I would point out is that when we were relaxing on our balcony at night we could hear a belt from what I assume is a main air conditioning unit on one of the nearby single story buildings going on and off. It was a high pitched squealing. I mentioned it to other guests staying two floors below us and they knew exactly what I was referring to. Just not ideal when you are looking at the beautiful stars and should be hearing mainly the waves crashing below.

This was a wonderful first vacation as a family of four. We were very comfortable and my kids had a blast. My son said he didn't want to go home. I would definitely recommend the resort to young families. I could also see my husband and I having a very romantic getaway there without the kids so it is not just a place for families. I'm really glad we came. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: 2001 was a winner!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear jmuamy:
Thank you for your rating of “5”! It was a pleasure to have communicated with you prior and during your stay. Greatly appreciate your family staying with us while you were here for the wedding. Glad you were able to enjoy the fabulous view from your suite and your children were able to enjoy the “silly dance parties”. I agree it is a beautiful view from 2001. Our goal is to have our suites function like your home where you can be fully comfortable.

Glad you enjoyed the pool and beach area and you felt that even though the hotel was at capacity, there was plenty of seats and space to enjoy yourself. Also happy to hear you found the room very clean and spacious. Sorry, housekeeping did not meet your expectations on one day. On your next stay, if you have a particular time you want your room cleaned, just let us know and we will arrange with our housekeeping team.
I apologize for the noise that you heard from the balcony. We have been up to the balcony several times and not been able to hear it, but have asked our technicians to go through all the belts etc on adjacent building to make sure it is not an issue going forward.

Thank you again for being our guest and we look forward to seeing your family again in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Here a beach wedding, got here early. Went to the bar and asked for a diet coke and a club soda. Was told they could not accommodate us cause we weren't staying there, but could give us water. Geeze! Guess betters can't be choosers.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Valarie HD:
Yes, you are required to be a hotel guest or a member to use the restaurants and amenities of the resort. This is for the benefit of our guests to be sure the property is fully available to them. Hopefully next time you are in the area, you will consider staying with us so you can enjoy the wonderful amenities.

Columbus, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed 4 nights at an oceanfront room. The room was very clean, bathroom also very clean. We had a balcony overlooking the beach. This is a very quiet part of the beach. Not too many people around. We will come back again. Loved watching the sunset everyday from our balcony.

Room Tip: Get oceanfront room, it is worth the price.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
DinaColumbus_NC
Thank you for the “5” review. We greatly appreciate your staying with us and glad you loved your clean room with the great view of the sunset! Hope to see you again in the future.

rick.benninghove@longboatkeyclub.com

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!