“An excellent choice for families!” 5 of 5 stars

Resort at Longboat Key Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   220 Sands Point Road, Longboat Key, FL 34228   |
Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Longboat Key
massachusetts
“An excellent choice for families!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I just returned from a short stay with my ten year old daughter and it was perfect for a last minute getaway. In a nutshell, this is a wonderful beach resort with convenient condo-style suites with full kitchens. Having a full kitchen just makes life much easier when I travel with my children. The resort is clearly geared towards families -- I would say that most guests were either grandparents with grandchildren or parents and their kids. So, probably not the wisest choice for either a romantic getaway or for a posh girls' weekend, but an EXCELLENT choice for a family vacation with the kiddos. And, a popular choice too. I believe the resort was filled to capacity during our stay. It was great to see so many guests having fun on the beach or at the pool. Definitely an upbeat "we're on vacation" vibe all around (live steel drums at the pool were a nice touch one afternoon).

There were a few little things here and there that were not perfect during our stay, but nonetheless I am giving the resort the highest possible rating for three reasons: 1) my daughter had a blast (see her review, below); 2) the beach location is beautiful -- salt/pepper sand, turquoise water and we saw a dolphin!; and 3) there are a few true superstars amongst the friendly, aim-to-please staff. I had a great first impression of the resort even before checking in thanks to Head Concierge, Gloria Schroeder. Gloria so kindly accommodated my special requests before arrival, which turned out to be a lifesaver after a long day of travel. THAT is what I call 5-star service, so thank you, Gloria! Lynda at the front desk was also extra helpful during our stay, as was Danny who works at the front desk AND drives the resort shuttle AND works in the kids club. The bellmen also work their hardest, literally running from building to building all day long. Housekeeping could not have been better -- no complaints here either. The hard working, yet warm staff is really one of the resort's best assets.

Still, I would offer the resort a few small suggestions: 1) spread out the beach cabanas; it feels a bit claustrophobic to be right on top of your neighbors; 2) continue to run the convenient St. Armond's Circle shuttle service later into the afternoon and evening; 3) weed out the staff that is not up to snuff -- most of the staff is fabulous but even one encounter with an icy or snooty employee can turn people off to a resort for good; and, finally 4) sort out the company policy regarding complimentary room upgrades when rooms are unoccupied (I vote in favor of room upgrades -- they are such a happy treat at check-in!).

I mention this last suggestion after comparing notes with one return guest who was quickly rebuffed when she requested an upgrade and was told it is "against company policy." She had been upgraded during a prior stay, so she was confused. I am still confused about this "company policy" because a gentleman who was checking in next to me was very loudly and ceremoniously offered a complimentary upgrade to his room. BTW, I had started my check- in first, and I was still standing at the front desk and was offered no such upgrade. Made me feel a bit insignificant -- unless you are also planning to offer an upgrade to the person standing six inches away from you, you should probably try to be a little more discreet. With new owners in place I am sure that the company policy will be ironed out, and handled more smoothly in the future.

All in all, though, I couldn't have been more pleased during our stay. We didn't take advantage of the golf or tennis offerings, but maybe next time!

Finally, here is my 10-year old DAUGHTER'S REVIEW -- think she liked it there? ;) . . .
"When we were in the taxi going over the bridge to Long Boat Key, all I could see outside was darkness, even though I couldn't see anything I knew Long Boat Key was super beautiful. Long Boat Key is not far at all from the great city Sarasota, the beautiful beaches of Siesta Key, the busy and beautiful shops of St. Armond's Circle, and the white sand island of Lido Key.
When we got out of the taxi and stepped foot onto the ground of Long Boat Key club and resort all I could say was, "WOW this place is beautiful!" Then we checked in at the front desk and the person who checked us was so helpful and he gave us everything we needed from maps to help getting our suitcases to the building we were staying in. During our stay the staff were great. When ever we called the front desk for something or to schedule something for us they would do it right away.
As we walked into our room what I saw was a pullout couch, a full kitchen, a huge bed, a long hallway, and a bathroom. When I went to sleep on the pullout couch, it was uncomfortable and the springs were poking me, then after a night or so I got used to it and it was super comfortable. We had two little patios when we walked out of our sliding glass door in the back of the room, and a flight of stairs that lead down to a huge patio with two tables, four chairs, and a lounge chair that we shared with our neighbors. Off of the back of the patio was a small flight of stairs that lead down to the parking lot of our building.The beach and the pool from any building is a hop, skip, and a jump away. The pool was a nice pool with a deep end and a shallow end. With a bar and restaurant. The beach water was a beautiful teal with very clean water. You can get help to set up the cabanas and order food on the beach.
The Long Boat Key Club and Resort was 5 stars for me. I would definitely come back. Our room was great, the staff were great, and it was a beautiful place."

Room Tip: We were happy with our Golf View Suite. For a quiet location, opt for Golf View or Lagoon View over...

577 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed in a beautiful appartment with everything we needed including washer/dryer and well eqipped kitchen. The view from the large balcony over the gulf of Mexoco were amazing. We borrowed bikes to explore the area cycling within the resort area which is huge as well as all along this narrow key. , so much to see and do and of course fantastic golf courses. The pool areas in both parts of the resort were marvellous, and the marina well worth a walk around. It is also worth a visit to downtown Sarasota for lively bars and restaurants as well as shopping.

Room Tip: We were on a high floor overlooking--more or less on...the beach. Fab!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Walker8866:
Thanks for the "5" rating. We appreciate it. Sounds like you made the most of you experience at our resort and we appreciate you staying with us. Glad you were able to utilize our complimentary bikes offered from the resort and marina. Please come back and Golf with us anytime.

Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed at Longboat Key Club from April 15-19. Great facility in a great location, located right on the beach and near St. Armand's Circle. Like other folks who have posted, the issues I had with this place had to do with housekeeping and a nagging issue with the air conditioning.

Upon arrival, we went to our room and the place looked great, but at closer look, there was a stray, used Q-Tip on the floor of the bathroom and for some reason a crumpled can of Red Bull between the bed and end table. We also had to call maintenance two days in a row to get the AC to work properly. While maintenance came quickly and addressed the issue, it was annoying.

Lastly, we called the first 2 nights to have a sleeper sofa made up for the night...the second night, housekeeping said there was no need to call because they knew to do it...well, the next night we returned from dinner and the sofa was not made up.

All in all, none of these issues was terrible, but you'd expected better from a place of this caliber.

Dear ChrisMigs65

I'm glad you feel we are a great facility and great location.

I am disappointed you had the housekeeping issues you had. This is something we will review with our housekeeping department as our standard is not to have anything but a perfect room released for our guests. I assure you this is not our norm and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss it with you further. A/C's are reviewed and repaired replaced as needed. Thank you very much for being our guest.

My direct number is 941-387-1567.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

this is the best resort in the state of Florida there is so much to do for adults and kids (Beach,Pool,Hot Tub,Tiki Bar, Golf, Driving Range, and bike rentals) we enjoyed our stay so much it was outstanding. And the employees make it even better especially Karl (bartender) and Kathy (Waitress and Barefoot's Grill) they are great to the kids and adults

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Doug D

Wow – Thanks for the “Best Resort in Florida” comment. We greatly appreciate you being with us and taking the time to review. I have shared your comments with Karl and Kathy and they are glowing with pride. I agree that they are exceptional associates. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Resort and Longboat Key Club

nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in March for 5 nights. We went to Longboat because my husband is a swimmer and it is difficult to find a hotel with an olympic size pool. So I thought the ocean would be flat enough to swim- but no such luck-ocean was choppy. Be that as it may, we ended up having a relaxed and very pleasant time. There is everything to do or nothing to do. Beach was white sugar sand and at the end so very private. Beautiful view. Food was decent and every day at lunch they had live music and every night live music in the lounge. The staff is very reserved but they aim to please. If you like Country Clubs, this is the place.

Room Tip: Building choice is confusing ~ Tell the staff your likes and dislikes and they will direct you to th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Viennagreen:

Thank you for your review of your experience at the resort and club. I’m sorry that the waves were a bit choppy while you were here. That is unusual for us as we have flat turquoise water most of the time. --The Dolphin prefer it flat also :)

Thank you also for the “5” rating! Our team greatly appreciates this. Look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Sarasota, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We sponsor a meeting for about 40 guests and for a meeting of this size the Longboat Key Club is perfect. The meeting room could probably hold 100 but we need exhibition space adjacent to the lecture hall. The attraction of being able to hold social events on the beach (which in practical terms is a private beach since there is no parking access other than at the resort) is special. The added attraction of having a spa and a golf course adds to the potential to make the site unique as a meeting venue. Regarding the rooms the view to the Gulf of Mexico is unique.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear KLW-Sarasota
Thank you for your recent meeting with us. The resort and club do offer a wonderful backdrop for meetings and there are many possible venues here that can make your group events very unique as you mention.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review us and to paint a picture for others to view. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

esher, surrey, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We have visited Longboat Key Club on a number of occasions in the past but the last time was 5 years ago. We left that time feeling slightly disappointed but promised we would give it another try sometime.
This was a special family holiday so we decided not to spare any expense with this part of it. The resort is in a beautiful spot with an amazing beach. We arrived at the resort to a very mediocre welcome but when we got to our accomodation we were blown away. Because there were 9 of us in total I had booked 2 x 2 bed lagoon view condos. They were side by side on the top of two adjoining buildings just like penthouses. They had the most amazing views across the lagoon and the lights of the downtown area of Sarasota at night. They were nicely furnished if a little tired with very comfortable beds and there was a full kitchen with washer/dryer etc. My only criticism is that because we were in buildings 6 and 7 away from the beach, housekeeping seemed to leave our rooms right to the end of the day and on one occasion came at 8pm when my daughter's children were in bed! I'm sure had she rung to ask for housekeeping they would have sent someone but anyway that is rather late to come to make up the rooms and change the towels.
Overall the hotel has a lot going for it. Most of the staff are friendly but there does seem to be a morale issue with some of the them. A smile goes a long way but certain staff didn't smile ever. Other than on checking in, all the reception staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. The reception area is clean and has fresh coffee in the mornings and flavoured water throughout the day which is a nice touch. The concierge is helpful and efficient. The pool area is a bit disappointing and can be very crowded with people saving loungers which can be irritating. At one stage there was a towel and book on a daybed the whole time we were at the pool and no-one came to sit there. To be fair to the hotel I think there must have been complaints because the following day on the daybeds were notices saying that things would be removed if no-one was seen to sit there. None the less for that the pool is slightly crowded for the number of units in the hotel. Barefoots Bar serves good quality food and staff there are friendly. The beach is amazing and kept really clean all the time.
All in all we felt we had rediscovered the resort and hope that it continues to improve to make it the best that it can be.

Room Tip: Lagoon view rooms are really quiet and only a 2 min walk back to reception and the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!