“Wonderful anniversary weekend!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 hotels in Longboat Key
Ohio
“Wonderful anniversary weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I were searching for a weekend FL beach location since we live in the Midwest. This hotel fit the bill. We loved our room, pool and beach. The rooms were very clean and stylish. The beach has wait staff which will bring you food and drinks which allowed us to really relax. We also spent a lot of time paying golf and tennis. The Longboat Key Tennis Gardens was so accommodating. The tennis concierge matched me up as a single while my husband played golf, with a group of ladies for doubles. They have a beautiful facility with hard and clay courts. My only caution is the hotel does not endorse restaurants were they do not have a partnership, so the concierge staff will push certain restaurants and not others. Just use Tripadvisor to find a place to eat. All in all a great getaway.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

558 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed here in August for 4 nights, the hotel is in a nice location, and the beach is gorgeous but for the money and it being a five star we won't go again.
Good: view from the room was beautiful looking out over the Gulf.
Upgraded us to a suite after our night of hell with the aircon unit.
Felt very safe with our daughter who is six.

The bad bits
Needs modernising from the outside, 4 grey blocks of concrete looking from the beach.
Huge air conditioning unit sits inside the room in a vented cupboard, didn't notice it when we popped in and out during the first day, but at night!!!! Imagine yourself just drifting off in your bed to sleep and someone starts a jet engine up as the air on fan kicks in to cool the room down every 20 minutes or so, my wife jumped through the roof every time it kicked in, switched it to re circulate which was a little less intrusive, then to top off the nights events at 7:30 am someone decided that they were going to do some major roof work which sounded like they were drilling thru the ceiling of our room, a swift complaint to reception who said they would investigate and phone back ended in a phone call back to say they were in aware of any work going on, but if we liked she would move us to a club suite and would send a bell hop up straight away with the new cards.
Air con in the room is by the door and as the suite's are significantly bigger you don't notice it, either that or the aircon unit in our previous rm was goosed, happy bunnies but not for us again
I'm sure it's a great hotel and have lots of people who love the place but unfortunately this one we won't be back.

Room Tip: Book a suite to avoid air con issues rm 2303 large balcony and good views
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This was our 5th stay and the resort never disappoints. Consistently great service from all staff, impeccably clean accommodations, and delicious food make Longboat Key Club one of our most favorite places to stay. You can't beat the location, directly on the beach. Our favorite are the "club suites" with lots of extra space - huge patios, full sized kitchen table, washer/dryer, and a gigantic bathroom. Although we enjoy the gulf view (beachfront) accommodations, we prefer the bay view rooms. The bay is full of manatees and jumping fish, it's fun to watch! Oh, and plenty of covered parking at this resort, at no extra charge.

Room Tip: Ask for a club suite
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Kris:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Longboat Key Club and Resort and for returning to be with us for your 5th visit. We are an easy drive from Orlando and I’m glad you continue to find your way to our paradise.

Our visiting Manatees are a beautiful sight to see from the Lagoon (Bay) View buildings. Even they love the turquoise waters of Longboat Key. We hope to see you again soon.

Rick Benninghove
Director of Resort Operations
Longboat Key Club and Resort
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed here from 8/28-9/4. The hotel is in a great location on a gorgeous beach but that's all it has going for it. Way too much per night for what it is. In fact ridiculously overpriced, $1900.00 for 7 nights and that includes nothing, plus they charge $14/day "resort fee". The property is old and dated, room was ok, nothing special, although the shower (water pressure) was the best of any hotel we've been to before. Very loud AC when it kicks on. Pool area is very simple, service is inconsistent. Food and drinks very expensive with an automatic 20% gratuity charged. On the last day there, only one server was walking around and never came up to ask if we wanted anything, I ended up going to order lunch for my children directly at the bar. After a long while of waiting my husband went to check on the order and it was sitting there waiting for us to pick it up, no one bothered telling us it was ready even though there was barely anyone at the pool that day, and they still charged us the gratuity!!!!!! why do I have to pay gratuity if no one served us!!!!! You order a drink at the bar ($12-15 average price) they charge gratuity!!!!! Outrageous!!!! we only had dinner at one of their restaurants on the night we arrived as we were not familiar with the area, went to Portofino which was a 3 mile shuttle ride lol, spent over $100 on some pasta and a kid's pizza. The rest of the week we had dinner at St. Armand's circle, which is nearby and was wonderful for shopping, walking around people watching. Had dinner 3 times at El Columbia Restaurant, very good cuban/spanish food, delicious mojitos and very reasonably priced. Kids menu has awesome palomillo steak and fries for like $7. Average dinner for 4 was like $70 for very good food. Also ate at Venezia, not recommended and terrible service. Had ice cream at Kilwin's every night, yes it's that good and line out the door. Breakfast one morning only (we bought breakfast foods at Publix and ate in the room) at the Blue Dolphin Cafe, very average, bland food, crappy service.
I agree with a previous reviewer about bed bugs, I didn't see them but I woke up with red welts by mid week all over my ankles, arms, hands, legs. First I thought they were mosquito bites from walking around St. Armands in the evenings but they were so itchy and looked different from regular bites. After reading the review and looking up bed bug bite images, I believe that's what I had and still am getting over as they take a long time to go away. I had the tell tale cluster of bites or "3 in a row" pattern. Gross. I only pray we didn't bring any home with us in the luggage or clothing. Another incident we had at the hotel was one night, around 10:30pm, as we were getting ready for bed, the fire alarm in our building (#5) went off. There was no fire and after the fire dept came to inspect, the hotel manager said it was someone that set it off as a prank. I read older reviews and apparently this has happened before. Not sure if there is some glitch with their system, but my kids were scared to death and my son had trouble sleeping that night. Housekeeping didn't leave us any bath towels one day. Lobby staff snobbish. I am giving this hotel 3 stars because of it's location and beautiful beach, otherwise, the nightly rate at this hotel is exorbitant for what you get, which is basically a place to sleep and shower. Would stay elsewhere if visiting this area again in the future.

Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Spent 4 nights in a huge 2 Bedroom Suite with a superb sea view and on the whole, it was very enjoyable. The accomodation was enormous and good value for the price, with a huge balcony. The beach and pool were both super and we found all the staff that we encountered to be very friendly and efficient. The property is let down a little however, by its antique air conditioning. Clearly it's an older resort, and after the first night you do get used to the noise, but the sound of a small airplane taking off in the lounge area shouldn't be acceptable for a resort of this stature. Fix that and I'd not hesitate to return.

Bonita Springs, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I drove 2 1/2 hours to get there and found out after I walked into the room they screwed my reservation up. Went to the front and ask for a change and was basically told I was out of luck. I even had my confirmation number which they said was wrong(they emailed it to me) I left pissed off and drove 2 1/2 hours home never to return again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dan T

I am truly sorry that we were unable to accomodate you on your recent trip to Longboat Key.. We do work very hard to accommodate our guests and wish you could have enjoyed the lovely holiday weekend with us.

Upon arrival to your Club Suite, you indicated you thought you had booked a 2 Bedroom unit. This reservation was made by online booking for a Club Suite over the Labor Day near sellout weekend. Unfortunately, due to the holiday weekend all of our 2 bedroom units were sold, but we did offer an upgrade to a 1 Bedroom unit that we still had available.

I would hope that you would consider another trip to the Longboat Key Club and Resort. I would be happy to discuss your situation further at any time.

Rick Benninghove
Director of Resort Operations
Longboat Key Club and resort
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have never written any kind of review but feel I have to share my experience with the Longboat Key Club & Resort.
After a long day of travel all I wanted was to relax but instead found a dead bug in my bed along with two small fingernails. After calling the front desk they switched my room which they assured me was clean and up to their standards. Of course I inspected the beds first thing and I found a long hair on the pillow.
If I could check into another hotel I would but it is Labor Day weekend and everything is full. I would not recommend this resort nor will I ever return. I expect much more out of a "resort".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!