“Average, overpriced hotel. Great location. Beware of bed bugs!” 3 of 5 stars

Resort at Longboat Key Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   220 Sands Point Road, Longboat Key, FL 34228   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
new jersey
“Average, overpriced hotel. Great location. Beware of bed bugs!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed here from 8/28-9/4. The hotel is in a great location on a gorgeous beach but that's all it has going for it. Way too much per night for what it is. In fact ridiculously overpriced, $1900.00 for 7 nights and that includes nothing, plus they charge $14/day "resort fee". The property is old and dated, room was ok, nothing special, although the shower (water pressure) was the best of any hotel we've been to before. Very loud AC when it kicks on. Pool area is very simple, service is inconsistent. Food and drinks very expensive with an automatic 20% gratuity charged. On the last day there, only one server was walking around and never came up to ask if we wanted anything, I ended up going to order lunch for my children directly at the bar. After a long while of waiting my husband went to check on the order and it was sitting there waiting for us to pick it up, no one bothered telling us it was ready even though there was barely anyone at the pool that day, and they still charged us the gratuity!!!!!! why do I have to pay gratuity if no one served us!!!!! You order a drink at the bar ($12-15 average price) they charge gratuity!!!!! Outrageous!!!! we only had dinner at one of their restaurants on the night we arrived as we were not familiar with the area, went to Portofino which was a 3 mile shuttle ride lol, spent over $100 on some pasta and a kid's pizza. The rest of the week we had dinner at St. Armand's circle, which is nearby and was wonderful for shopping, walking around people watching. Had dinner 3 times at El Columbia Restaurant, very good cuban/spanish food, delicious mojitos and very reasonably priced. Kids menu has awesome palomillo steak and fries for like $7. Average dinner for 4 was like $70 for very good food. Also ate at Venezia, not recommended and terrible service. Had ice cream at Kilwin's every night, yes it's that good and line out the door. Breakfast one morning only (we bought breakfast foods at Publix and ate in the room) at the Blue Dolphin Cafe, very average, bland food, crappy service.
I agree with a previous reviewer about bed bugs, I didn't see them but I woke up with red welts by mid week all over my ankles, arms, hands, legs. First I thought they were mosquito bites from walking around St. Armands in the evenings but they were so itchy and looked different from regular bites. After reading the review and looking up bed bug bite images, I believe that's what I had and still am getting over as they take a long time to go away. I had the tell tale cluster of bites or "3 in a row" pattern. Gross. I only pray we didn't bring any home with us in the luggage or clothing. Another incident we had at the hotel was one night, around 10:30pm, as we were getting ready for bed, the fire alarm in our building (#5) went off. There was no fire and after the fire dept came to inspect, the hotel manager said it was someone that set it off as a prank. I read older reviews and apparently this has happened before. Not sure if there is some glitch with their system, but my kids were scared to death and my son had trouble sleeping that night. Housekeeping didn't leave us any bath towels one day. Lobby staff snobbish. I am giving this hotel 3 stars because of it's location and beautiful beach, otherwise, the nightly rate at this hotel is exorbitant for what you get, which is basically a place to sleep and shower. Would stay elsewhere if visiting this area again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Spent 4 nights in a huge 2 Bedroom Suite with a superb sea view and on the whole, it was very enjoyable. The accomodation was enormous and good value for the price, with a huge balcony. The beach and pool were both super and we found all the staff that we encountered to be very friendly and efficient. The property is let down a little however, by its antique air conditioning. Clearly it's an older resort, and after the first night you do get used to the noise, but the sound of a small airplane taking off in the lounge area shouldn't be acceptable for a resort of this stature. Fix that and I'd not hesitate to return.

Bonita Springs, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I drove 2 1/2 hours to get there and found out after I walked into the room they screwed my reservation up. Went to the front and ask for a change and was basically told I was out of luck. I even had my confirmation number which they said was wrong(they emailed it to me) I left pissed off and drove 2 1/2 hours home never to return again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Benninghove, Manager at Resort at Longboat Key Club, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dan T

I am truly sorry that we were unable to accomodate you on your recent trip to Longboat Key.. We do work very hard to accommodate our guests and wish you could have enjoyed the lovely holiday weekend with us.

Upon arrival to your Club Suite, you indicated you thought you had booked a 2 Bedroom unit. This reservation was made by online booking for a Club Suite over the Labor Day near sellout weekend. Unfortunately, due to the holiday weekend all of our 2 bedroom units were sold, but we did offer an upgrade to a 1 Bedroom unit that we still had available.

I would hope that you would consider another trip to the Longboat Key Club and Resort. I would be happy to discuss your situation further at any time.

Rick Benninghove
Director of Resort Operations
Longboat Key Club and resort
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have never written any kind of review but feel I have to share my experience with the Longboat Key Club & Resort.
After a long day of travel all I wanted was to relax but instead found a dead bug in my bed along with two small fingernails. After calling the front desk they switched my room which they assured me was clean and up to their standards. Of course I inspected the beds first thing and I found a long hair on the pillow.
If I could check into another hotel I would but it is Labor Day weekend and everything is full. I would not recommend this resort nor will I ever return. I expect much more out of a "resort".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had a beachfront, two bedroom two bath with a wrap around terrace. Beautifully furnished and exceptionally clean. Perfect kitchen. Perfect in every way. Love the Spa and the lotion used. Our apartment was furnished in a sleek modern style we both like.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner on the top floor. Beautiful view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Holland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Longboat Key was nice but dated. Something was biting us on the beach not sure what it was.We were getting red bumps on our legs. Our rooms were clean but dated and not as roomy as I would have thought. Service was very good but not excellant. I'm rating this resort against the Casa Marina in Key West and Casa far exceed this resort. Our views were excellant just like the Casa was but the beach staff wasn't as attentive nor was the pool staff. Pricing was a bit less here than Casa.

Room Tip: We had a corner unit in building 2 6th floor. Best views seemed to be a corner unit in building 3 10...
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was our first stay at the hotel. It has a great location on the beach and is a short ride from the Sarasota Airport, Mote Marine Acquarium, St Armand's Circle and other local attractions. Our room was surprisingly spacious and very clean, with a small kitchen sufficient for a light breakfast or lunch. We were a little concerned before we arrived about a few of the reviews commenting on poor service, but our experience was very positive, even though we checked in on a weekend when the hotel was fully occupied. Everyone was friendly and helpful, and the front desk was very accomodating when we asked to move to a different building after the weekend crowd checked out.

The beach is great and very close to an inlet that provided great fishing for my son. The beach attendants were helpful in setting up chairs and umbrellas. Drink and food service are available on the beach, although we saw the beach waiter only infrequently.

The room interiors have been recently updated and are very nice. The buildings themselves look rather dated, and our elevator was out of service for a few hours on at least three of the days we were there. We were also surprised one day when we returned to the beach after lunch to find that our beach chair setup and our children's beach toys had disappeared--the beach attendants were quite disturbed by this and said it was unusual.

The hotel restaurant was good, although we ended up frequenting the Drydock restaurant, which is practically across the street from the hotel entrance--great food in a causal atmosphere right on the water.

Overall a great resort for a family, and a good value during the summer months.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!