“Fabulous resort with beautiful beach” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$75 Daily Resort Credit
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Longboat Key
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Fabulous resort with beautiful beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

My family stayed here for two weeks in a deluxe two bedroom that had a kitchen and balcony with an amazing ocean view. From the moment that I stepped into the suite I was very pleased with the accomodations. It was spacious (1200 sq. ft I believe), beautifiully appointed, and very nice for entertaining as well as relaxing. And the views....the balcony was huge and spacious overlooking the ocean.
The beach was pristine, just like they show on their website photos. The beach service was prompt and came by often to check on us.
The sports facilities were fabulous. My husband is a tennis player and was pleased with his private lessons with instructors. And the children had a great time at the sports camp.
I would highly recommend this camp. I watched some of the instruction going on as well as my children asking to go almost every day. They played tennis, golf, kick ball, and had swimming instruction. They also had a healthy snack and lunch.
The food at the restaurants was very good. Our favorite being Portofino. This restaurant was the first time that my children were ever able to have wheat free/gluten free pizza in a restaurant. The chef was trained in this kind of cooking and had mastered this pizza so well that it was also the best thin crust I had ever tasted. He let me watch him make it as well as gave me his recipe. This was a huge deal for our family, if you travel with family members with food allergies, you will understand why. Other dishes at the restaurant were wonderful as well set in a rustic, cozy Italian ambiance by the bay.
The resort is centrally located to shopping, other dining options, grocery, and other activities for your family.
The kichen was set up very well and nicely equipped...my only suggestion would be adding a few serving platters and bowls. We bought some while there.
As well as expanding the pool area one day. We really enjoyed the live music by the pool in the afternoons and it added to the tropical feel. :)
While were there we saw many weddings being set up and taking place. They were beautiful.
We can't wait to go back to this wonderful resort!

Room Tip: Request a room not facing the pool
  • Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

We just spent 5 days and 4 nights and could not have been more pleased with the resort and our overall stay. The weather was perfect, with plenty of beach cabanas and poolside chairs to accommodate the guests. Short drive to a grocery store allowed us to have breakfast and snacks for the family and we ate out every night either at the hotel or at the St. Armand's area(5min drive). Highly recommended resort!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I have been here 3 previous times and I thought that I would not return, but my daughter had a business trip and invited me to join her for a few days here.
Again, as I have thought in the past, the location could not be better. Lovely beach and spacious grounds. The resort suffers because of its age. For this resort to be worth the high prices, everything has to be done over. That includes the walkways, which for the most part is fairly soiled cement, the room tiles, which have dirty grout, the carpeting and upholstery, which show stains and wear, the hallways need upgrading. The pool area is crowded and there is never enough seating.
We had a lovely time because we were together, but if there was a new resort on Longboat Key, no one would come here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

My husband took me here as a surprise birthday weekend getaway. We drove down from Orlando and got caught in traffic so when we arrived the sun could barely be seen setting low in the sky. The weather in general that day in Orlando was sensational, and apparently it was there as well. Unfortunately, the rest of our time there was filled with fog so thick I couldn't even see the water from our room for most of one day. The day we left it was better, but overcast, dreary and windy.

Besides all of that, we would definitely come back here again. The rooms was very nice and the room we had was equipped with a full kitchen, including wine glasses, plates, pots and pans, etc. If we were staying for longer than just the weekend I could realistically see myself cooking a few meals in and having them on our extra large balcony.

Growing up we never really went to the beach, so when I do go, I love sand combing for shells. The beach is PACKED with them. I saw a large shell from a distance and thought I was racing to it before a child got to it (haha), but that child wasn't even interested in my huge shell. It was like a bunch of shell snobs were on this beach to be honest, because people were passing them up like they were nothing. Needless to say, I walked away with several large and pretty shells and also what I think everyone was more interested in- a sand dollar, my first!

The spa there is very nice, but the front lobby area of it is very very tiny and I had to wait a very long time for people in front of me to be tended to before I could check in for my appointment. I had a 90 minute massage, manicure and pedicure since there wasn't very much to do while the weather was so dreary. The staff were very friendly and I enjoyed talking to them during my mani/pedi.

We did go to the italian restaurant associated with the resort, Portofino, which was several miles down the road and the food was exceptional. I would recommend a reservation and you must be staying at the resort in order to eat there.

Looks like another visit is in order when the weather is better!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Belmont, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Enjoed the resort - the suite was spacious and everything about it was first call. The on-site restaurant had a very good restaurant and the poolside dining was quite nice. The beach on the gulf was pristine with fine white sand. And there is lots to do on Longboat Key from golfing to fishing and there is plenty to do in nearby Sarasota. All in all, a very good experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and i stayed at the longboat key club recently and had a great time.Apparantly all rooms have been renovated over the past year and our view each morning was of a white beach, framed by the light blue ,gulf of mexico.The gulf water is crystal clear and you could walk out around 30 meters and the water was still not up to my shoulders.Rooms include kitchen, washer/dryer,dish washer and flat screen tv. Read the small print when booking as there is a steep resort fee of around $50 per night.The staff were very polite and helpful and if you wanted to do something more energetic than lie on the beach there is a gym ,spa and18 holes of golf next to the hotel.There are around 20 clay tennis courts and a further 27 holes of golf a 7 minute drive away (north)by complimentary shuttle.St Armands circle is a 5 min drive away (south)featuring restaurants,shops (inc 5 ice cream shops)and offering a gateway to lido key and sarasota,the cultural capital of Florida ,allegedly.To sum up,we were talking to another guest on the beach and he said "If you dont like longboat key, you wont like heaven".Nuff said.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Great Falls VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We've stayed here maybe four times since 2002. The beach is fantastic, tennis is great. We love the area, but the hotel has gotten over crowded. MOre pricey. This year we just didn't think it was worth the money any more. We also used to go because the rooms had kitchens and we had kids. Now the kids are teenagers so not as important any more.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!