“Not Worth the Price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
New York City, New York
“Not Worth the Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I have been here 3 previous times and I thought that I would not return, but my daughter had a business trip and invited me to join her for a few days here.
Again, as I have thought in the past, the location could not be better. Lovely beach and spacious grounds. The resort suffers because of its age. For this resort to be worth the high prices, everything has to be done over. That includes the walkways, which for the most part is fairly soiled cement, the room tiles, which have dirty grout, the carpeting and upholstery, which show stains and wear, the hallways need upgrading. The pool area is crowded and there is never enough seating.
We had a lovely time because we were together, but if there was a new resort on Longboat Key, no one would come here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2011

My husband took me here as a surprise birthday weekend getaway. We drove down from Orlando and got caught in traffic so when we arrived the sun could barely be seen setting low in the sky. The weather in general that day in Orlando was sensational, and apparently it was there as well. Unfortunately, the rest of our time there was filled with fog so thick I couldn't even see the water from our room for most of one day. The day we left it was better, but overcast, dreary and windy.

Besides all of that, we would definitely come back here again. The rooms was very nice and the room we had was equipped with a full kitchen, including wine glasses, plates, pots and pans, etc. If we were staying for longer than just the weekend I could realistically see myself cooking a few meals in and having them on our extra large balcony.

Growing up we never really went to the beach, so when I do go, I love sand combing for shells. The beach is PACKED with them. I saw a large shell from a distance and thought I was racing to it before a child got to it (haha), but that child wasn't even interested in my huge shell. It was like a bunch of shell snobs were on this beach to be honest, because people were passing them up like they were nothing. Needless to say, I walked away with several large and pretty shells and also what I think everyone was more interested in- a sand dollar, my first!

The spa there is very nice, but the front lobby area of it is very very tiny and I had to wait a very long time for people in front of me to be tended to before I could check in for my appointment. I had a 90 minute massage, manicure and pedicure since there wasn't very much to do while the weather was so dreary. The staff were very friendly and I enjoyed talking to them during my mani/pedi.

We did go to the italian restaurant associated with the resort, Portofino, which was several miles down the road and the food was exceptional. I would recommend a reservation and you must be staying at the resort in order to eat there.

Looks like another visit is in order when the weather is better!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Belmont, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Enjoed the resort - the suite was spacious and everything about it was first call. The on-site restaurant had a very good restaurant and the poolside dining was quite nice. The beach on the gulf was pristine with fine white sand. And there is lots to do on Longboat Key from golfing to fishing and there is plenty to do in nearby Sarasota. All in all, a very good experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

My wife and i stayed at the longboat key club recently and had a great time.Apparantly all rooms have been renovated over the past year and our view each morning was of a white beach, framed by the light blue ,gulf of mexico.The gulf water is crystal clear and you could walk out around 30 meters and the water was still not up to my shoulders.Rooms include kitchen, washer/dryer,dish washer and flat screen tv. Read the small print when booking as there is a steep resort fee of around $50 per night.The staff were very polite and helpful and if you wanted to do something more energetic than lie on the beach there is a gym ,spa and18 holes of golf next to the hotel.There are around 20 clay tennis courts and a further 27 holes of golf a 7 minute drive away (north)by complimentary shuttle.St Armands circle is a 5 min drive away (south)featuring restaurants,shops (inc 5 ice cream shops)and offering a gateway to lido key and sarasota,the cultural capital of Florida ,allegedly.To sum up,we were talking to another guest on the beach and he said "If you dont like longboat key, you wont like heaven".Nuff said.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Great Falls VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We've stayed here maybe four times since 2002. The beach is fantastic, tennis is great. We love the area, but the hotel has gotten over crowded. MOre pricey. This year we just didn't think it was worth the money any more. We also used to go because the rooms had kitchens and we had kids. Now the kids are teenagers so not as important any more.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

LBKC has been on our our list for a long time, so maybe our expectations were too high. Reservations told us that all the rooms were newly rennovated - but that's hard to believe. Our first room (4206) needed a paint job, the bath tiling looked like it had been patched repeatedly, the safe and one phone didn't work. They moved us to 3404, which was in working order, but there was nothing newly rennovated about it. Killed a roach on the bedroom floor the second night! Won't be going back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
syosset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed at the Longboat Key Club for a business trip. The Staff was AMAZING. I checked in and the staff was extremely friendly and placed me in a beautiful club suite overlooking the ocean. The view was spectacular! Later that evening the front desk made dinner reservations and the restaurant really took care of me because I was staying at the resort. That evening I came back to the bar where I met some other guests, and enjoyed the music entertainment. The room was so comfortable and elegant that being away on business was not a chore. I had the opportunity to work out at the fitness facility and eat at several of the restaurants on the grounds. The food and hospitality was again excellent. My last day I had the opportunity to squeeze in 18 holes at the Harborside course. The BLUE nine was very challenging and fun. Since i'm back I have already reccomended to 3 other friends to book there stay at the resort and candidly, I can't wait to go back. It is a beautiful facility with the friendliest staff!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Resort at Longboat Key Club? Share your experiences!