“Management Overhaul-- URGENT!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort to your Saves list
Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort
2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   5841 Gulf Of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key, FL 34228   |
Bethesda, Maryland
“Management Overhaul-- URGENT!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Customer service is NOT a priority at this property. Check in and Check out seem to produce extreme anxiety in the reception staff person. . We tried to get our key or at least check in at 3:40 but we were told that such requests just could not be processed and there were about one hundred reasons for that and all "reasons" were delivered in a "I can't believe you are asking this" tone of voice. We were the only ones in the office at the time. What a way to start a vacation! The same thing happened when we asked to check out an hour late. The excuses why that was completely impossible all focused on the cleaning staff who apparently needed four hours between check out and check in to clean the rooms. ( There must have been much more extensive cleaning between stays than during given the limited clean up performed during our visit) Of course, not one person was cleaning the rooms when we checked out. The room and location were fine although sort of expensive for rental that had seen better days. Try other places first so if you end up here, you will know you tried to do better.

Room Tip: Apparently, we had the "best room" so I cannot imagine what the other rooms look like.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
RVAFlorida, Manager at Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We were disappointed to hear of this guests experience at Silver Sands on Longboat Key. We are happy to accommodate adjusted check-out and check-in times if the unit is available. Unfortunately, we often have back-to-back bookings and therefore must prepare the room accordingly in order to provide exemplary service to all of our guests. A member of our Management Team did reach out to this guest to offer our apologies for the manner in which our policies may have been delivered.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sunnyside, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at Silver Sands for a week. Note that the place doesn't compromise check-in or check-out time (take note just in case). Maybe in the summer time they're busy although we don't think so. Many people come here even in the summer because it's a beautiful place. The beach is quiet, mostly for families. The beach is calm most of the time. This is the best relaxing location. Our apartment hotel is perfect. It was a corner room (one bedroom apartment). The unit looks small from the outside but inside is pretty big. We got to use the kitchen, balcony, laundry, etc. Felt like home the entire stay. We took advantage of the swimming pool, beach, barbecue. I even had a nice morning run along Longboat Key, perfect place to run. The hotel is clean and not hard to find our maid if we need them. Our maids were very good. I found out they're mostly students working during their summer break, of course, it's summer time! *:) Keep up the good work! My husband, my stepdaughter and I enjoyed our stay. I love shelling, would definitely come back for that. Would love to see the turtles someday. Found a lot of seashells! I used to spend lots of times in South Beach in the past but this new "key" will bring me back to Longboat many more times.

Room Tip: ask for corner room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RVAFlorida, Manager at Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for your kind remarks and description - we love the shelling aspect too! We are happy to accommodate adjusted check-out and check-in times if your unit is available. Unfortunately summer is our busiest time of year at Silver Sands so we often have back-to-back bookings and therefore must prepare the room accordingly. However please let us know if you want to make adjustments and we will try to meet them.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were very happy when we checked in. Our unit was clean and had everything we needed and more. The location on the beach was perfect. Pool area and common grounds were well maintained. The response time for service was outstanding. I noticed a tear in the screen and I was startled by a small snake. I mentioned it to Susan he manager and also to Miguel the grounds keeper. I was gone from my room for about 20 minutes and returned to see my new best friend Miguel rolling a new screen!!! Great service!! Room amenities were plentiful and clean and fresh every day. Lana the other manager was very helpful and friendly with information and explaining the property when we checked in. I must say I am sold on Silver Sands. We were in a garden view unit I think 332. You have a great team, Huge thanks to Miguel, Susan , who never stops smling and Lana. Thanks!!!! Susan M

Room Tip: garden view is close to pool but quiet if you want to read or relax
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Lakeland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last year and had a great time, but this year had several issues. We arrived at 3:15 and were told we could not check in. And the woman was very rude. Hard to believe with an 11 am check out that the room would not be ready by then. Our DVD player did not work and the tv in the living room is ancient. The dishwasher flooded and never worked. My child got sick and I set the comforter out so it could be washed and it never came back. But the worst part of the stay was the fact that one family monopolized the entire resort bringing in over 40 non paying relatives. We were unable to use the pool, they put their volleyball net up right where you step off onto the beach completely blocking your walk carrying your things. They were loud and obnoxious and smoked right at the pool where I was trying to teach my child to swim. Sad that I paid over $1000 for three nights and people who paid nothing kept me from enjoying my stay. I will never return and never recommend.

• Stayed July 2014
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

The bed, as others have noted, was hard and squeaky. The a/c units are in each room and are a little noisy, as well. I found it hard to get a comfortable setting for the a/c at night. The grounds are nice and the room was nicely decorated. Please, people, get new beds for your guests.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
RVAFlorida, Manager at Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
We were disappointed to hear of this guests dissatisfaction. We've passed on their suggestions to the appropriate parties.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is a lovely property directly on the beautiful white beaches of Longboat Key. The grounds were perfectly manicured, pool was crystal, the staff was outstanding! Our room was very nicely decorated, there was a mini fridge, coffee pot, blender, toaster, microwave...very convenient. The only thing was that the bed was incredibly hard and squeaked so loudly with every small movement..I was afraid I would wake my husband if I fluffed my pillow! That being said, I would stay there again and again! We had friends in a suite there which had a balcony on the beach, living room & full size kitchen..it too was a beautiful room...they had no complaints at all!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RVAFlorida, Manager at Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
We were disappointing to hear this guests complaint with the accommodations. Their constructive comments have been provided to the appropriate departments for consideration and a member of our Management Team has reached out to them personally.
Lecanto, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were treated very well at the office at check-in. We had arrived in town a few hours early, and fortunately our room was indeed ready, so we were able to get our things out of the car. We hit a local spot for a nice lunch and then went for a walk on the beach. Nice and private beach area away from the crowds - excellent! Chairs are provided for the beach. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, had a fairly good sized kitchen area w/table, fridge and microwave, plus a stove/oven! We were only there for the weekend, so we didn't use the kitchen for much, but would have if we were there longer. Even though some coffee was supplied with the coffee maker, we stopped to pick up our favorite brand at the local grocery. And, one of my favorite amenities - wifi was available at no charge! Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Silver Sands Gulf Beach Resort? Share your experiences!