“Cozy, old Florida” 5 of 5 stars

Rolling Waves Cottages
3.0 of 5 Cottage   |   6351 Gulf of Mexico Dr., Longboat Key, FL 34228   |
“Cozy, old Florida”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband took me to rolling waves for my birthday. We stayed overnight in cottage number 6. It was built in the 1940's- and there are only 5 or 6 cottages on this property. It is quaint, quiet, a great location. The beach was spectacular. The cottage was clean and had everything we could need-- including beach chairs and umbrella. The staff (jen) was super friendly and made our stay even better. Try the lazy lobster down the street, the food was so good. Also, check out St Armand for shopping. We had such a romantic and resful trip. Thank you rolling waves, hope to be back soon.

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We loved staying here! It has a quaint feel of a bungalow seaside retreat. I love that you can park right beside your cottage, no lugging bags up stairs! Laundry facility and chairs available very convenient! Love that the ocean is close to the cottages too!

• Stayed August 2013
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a week vacation at Rolling Waves Cottage and we could not have been happier. We stayed in cottage #8 beach front. Our cottage was clean,bright and airy with a great view. We enjoyed the fully equipped kitchenette and the outdoor grill. The beach was very clean and at times we felt like it was our own private beach!

Shelley the Inn keeper was very nice and friendly and we felt very welcomed. When we arrived she let us select the ocean front cottage we wanted by showing us both even though I had booked #7 for weeks prior. She was very accommodating.

We highly recommend this wonderful place and we'll be back!

Room Tip: Cottage 7 and 8 are beach front..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Winter Garden, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I have been coming to longboat key for at least 5 yrs for our anniversary and have always seen the Rolling Waves cottages and finally decided to try staying for our 16th anniversary. Since I'm self employed we always stay in very economical places miles from the beach and spend most of our time away from the hotel and on the beach. This anniversary I wanted to stay on the beach. I was not disappointed!! The first thing that started our wonderful experience was Shelley the office manager. She welcomed us with a friendly smile and showed us to our cottage. The first thing I noticed was how clean the cottage was. My experience with clean rooms is usually the opposite. I always have to take a few minutes wherever we stay and clean the room myself. Not here-I felt very comfortable right away.
Normally I want to leave the room as soon as possible but not this time. I wanted to spend time in the cottage as much as I wanted to be on the beach. When Shelley found out it was our anniversary she gave my husband & I a bottle of champagne-above and beyond what I expected! This is now our anniversary place to stay!!
Our many thanks to Shelley again for everything!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
West Palm Beach, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a treasure! This cluster of beachfront cottages exudes Old Florida and Charm. The cottages are adorable, have everything you would need, and feel spacious even for a group.
From my first conversation with Shelley on the phone, to her warm welcome upon our arrival, to sitting and chatting with her at the firepit, she really made this girls' getaway perfect for our group. We will be back.

Room Tip: We'll probably rent cottages number one (2br) and three (1br) which are side-by-side to accomoda...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were in Bradenton Beach in a Hotel we didn't like and were therefore phisically looking for something else nearby. Shelley welcomed us in a most friendly way, even late at night. So we moved to her place the next day and it was definitely worth it!! A wonderful spot, nice cottages, friendly people, calm area, close to the ocean, sandy beach - a dream :-)
It's not cheap, but off season you might get a discount.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
South Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I found this gem last year when looking for a self catering cottage on the beach near Sarasota.
I had no idea I would fall in love with these quaint, perfectly located beach cottages! We just returned from our second year at Rolling Waves- we were there the first week of April; this time we brought our best friends with us... and got married!

Location: these cottages are steps from the beach! We have private access to our area and there are few people on the beach than the fellow cottagers and those from other houses/cottages along the beach as well. Really a gorgeous, clean, noncrowded, perfect almost private beach! This is not a party area, more of a cookout/entertain/ bonfire/ beach sunset/cocktails with friends location. There are some awesome restaurants nearby, some you can ride a bicycle too.

People: our second year and we have met fantastic people each time! Some couples looking for romantic and quiet, some families looking for laid back and relaxed. The families with kids have been fantastic too! It seems to draw cool/laid back fams with great kids (I say this as a childless couple)! Shelly (manager/caretaker) lives in one of the cottages and is superb! She is there whenever you need her and always solving ANY problem you may have! (Thanks for the sewing kit, Shelly!)

To Do: we rent bicycles a mile down the road, there is a convenience store same area. Restaurants all along the island (ask Shelly for recommendations). Walk the beach for great shells and water watching! Dolphins make their rounds usually twice daily. People fish from shore or a mini water wall down the beach a little ways. Great bike and running/walking paths. Kyaking tours locally, sunset excursions. Shoppping further down island, some bars towards Bradenton Beach (although we always hung at the cottage or the firepit at night with fellow cottagers!)

Weather: we went last week of March last year and first week of April this year: perfect! Water is cool, but swimmable once you get used to it- swim to just past the first sand bar and snorkel for sand dollars in abundance! Warm days and slightly cool nights, no need for air conditioning! (although the cotages have window units!)

Amenities: these are self catering cottages, so have really beach/cottage appropriiate linens. Kitchens are outfitted with all supplies- we have a gourmet group and drove down to bring special knives/blenders/processors etc. but not necessary for normal cooking. If you ever need extra "anything" look in the laundry "hut" between cottages 1-3 (I think). TP/paper towels/soap/dishsoap etc all provided! New addition: awesom Krups coffee makers!

And, if you have any issue- talk to Shelly- she will fix immediately! We had some ants one morning, and before we were up and on our way for the day, she had an exterminator there.

Great experience, wonderful time. This has been booked as an annual event with friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Turtle Crawl Inn Resort
Turtle Crawl Inn Resort
#5 of 5 in Longboat Key
4.0 of 5 stars 99 reviews

Been to Rolling Waves Cottages? Share your experiences!