“Walk out your door and say aahhh!” 5 of 5 stars

Sand Cay Beach Resort
4725 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key, FL 34228   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Longboat Key
illinois
“Walk out your door and say aahhh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

Our stay at the Sand Cay was very relaxing and enjoyable. We had a unit on the ground floor and it was such a pleasure to walk out and look directly at the gulf. Our unit was very clean and comfortable and we had everything we needed to be able to enjoy the beach and surroundings. The abundance of lounge chairs on the beach was great. Lots of space to enjoy a meal outdoors with picnic tables and grills. There were many other nice families there too. Beachlover in Illinois

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Greece, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

We have been coming to the SandCay Resort for a few years now. It is right on the beach. The condos have individual owners so each one is different. Right now I am looking out my window at the beautiful blue water of the Gulf.

We had some issues with the condo we are staying in, broken blinds, no clocks or clock radios etc. These issues were resolved almost immediately. The front office staff was very helpful. The blinds were fixed, and the missing items were put in. I actually think most of the problems were due to the guests before us. The office couldn't believe the condo didn't have one clock and the blinds were obviously pulled off, a couple of them on the floor. We got an apology saying it should have been caught before we checked in but I had no problem with it as it was immediately fixed. We have had the same experience in the past. We did have a cable problem one year that lasted much of our stay but I believe it was an external problem with the cable company.

I love the fact that beach chairs are provided and there are beach umbrellas in the condos. The office also has DVD's to borrow. The landscaping and grounds have been recently updated and it looks beautiful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

Just returned from Sand Cay. This was my 2nd trip, last year during the construction. This complex is beautiful-great landscaping, new paint and awnings. Everyone in the office were very friendly and helpful. Great location with the ability to walk out your door and right onto the beach. Really appreciated the many beach chairs set up on the beach. No more lugging rusty chairs, coolers, etc. for a beach day. Free internet access was very convenient.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

We have been going to the Sand Cay for eight years now, and have enjoyed every stay without exception. Condos are roomy, well equipped and their website now has pictures of every unit, so you can see exactly what you're getting. Most have been updated nicely, some VERY nicely, but there are still a few that need some sprucing up, which is what happens with older resorts. Staff will answer questions honestly. Exterior of resort has just had a major renovation, decent pool and (l) tennis court, very nice beach, grill area and lots of lawn space. It's not the Ritz, but is a very comfortable family resort for a week or a month. We see the same families year after year. Last year we ended up in a unit that was tired and worn, and the manager did all she could to make us happy during our stay. Not sure if it was the Judy everyone is talking about in the reviews, but she could not have been more accommodating.

• Liked — Beach access
  • Disliked — Small bathrooms
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

I agree with the other review about the new management, this woman is terribly rude! We have stayed at Sand Cay every summer for years and NEVER had any problems with the old manager Ed Miller.
This woman is condescending, and as I understand it, running the facility into the ground. It's such a shame since it was such a spectacular place before her arrival.
I hope the management wises up and gets rid of her before they lose more long time guests!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sandcay, General Manager at Sand Cay Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2009
Although I responded to you personally I would like to add a public response. You said that you stayed here in June of 2006. I started with Sand Cay on Monday, June 26, 2006. Those four last days of the month I wasn't even in the office most of those days as I was in meetings, and doctors appts. as I had broken my foot prior to starting. I will not address previous management other than it was a decision the Board of Directors felt they needed to make. Since you have not been here since our property was so run down I would encourage you to come back. WE have remodeled to the tune of over 8 - 9 million dollars and our curb appeal is A+ as sooooo many old guests have come back and are booking since our construction has finished. Even with our construction we have managed to increase our rentals by 19.0% each year or better. We have received so many positive comments that last week we have too added to our comment sheets this website for our guests to use. This year we received recognition as a "Who's Who" in the National Resort Industry as well as our staff and myself personally. Therefore, I am not sure who you spoke to in June, but I assure you that being it my first week on the job, I can only assume that this information you conveyed is incorrect or possible for some other reason, and not by one of our guests. As all opinions are welcome, yours is certainly your right. We are just glad it is not the norm.

Thanks,
Judy Paul
Cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

Terribly overpriced for what you get.

We stayed at the Sand Cay several times in the last six years.
The resort is attempting to keep it nice. The rooms are spacious, and are adequately furnished and equipped.
It has really changed though since our last stay.
The biggest change, IMO , at this resort is the attitude of the manager.We did have some problems with our unit, no telephone/internet service,
not enough towels; blankets/bedcovers soiled. etc...the terrible part of our stay, however , was trying to get these things solved.

Judy Paul, the manager, was condescending and rude--not quite the person you would expect to have to deal with when you are paying close to 2 grand for one week.

We did get extra towels, but the utility problem was not solved until the day before we were to leave for home. That meant the service person was in our kitchen for several hours fixing it while we were trying to fix and eat breakfast---yet, we would only have the service for one day. Why bother??
Meanwhile, Judy Paul, first told us we did have service ( like we did not know what we were talking about) and then told us it would be fixed as soon as they could get to it--5 days later.
I could go on, but, you get the idea.

I just washed the bedding myself---I was beginning to get the picture.....
Unless you like doing battle with the front desk, I would book somewhere else.

• Liked — The location---love, love, love Long Boat
  • Disliked — the rudness and inefficiency of the manager
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sandcay, Manager at Sand Cay Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2008
My name is Judy Paul and I am the manager of Sand Cay. Unfortunately, these guests did not list their name, so I question their true intentions of their review. During the Spring we are flooded with families, all of which have different needs and requests. Sometimes it is necessary as a manager to say "no" to some of those requests. Sometimes it is necessary to correct a guest who is damaging the property or property of others. This happens a lot during this time period. Since are resort has been sited in the Who's Who of Presidential Awards, and I have individually been awarded the same, I can only say that in over 25+ years in this business that I have never had a complaint about my self or my service. If you read the next review and look at their ratings that is what we are used to receiving and are very deserving of. This guest also said that we are very expensive to stay at. We average less than any of our competitors on Long Boat Key. Therefore, if price was the issue I strongly suggest a call to a less expensive area to stay with less accommodations.

In closing our resort has been in existence for over 30 years and 90% or more of our guests came here as children and are now bringing their children etc. Our record speaks for itself!

Been to Sand Cay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!