“We were very happy” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 23 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Description: Mar Vista is located on North Longboat Key on picturesque Sarasota Bay. Enjoy a delicious meal inside the quaint dining room or on the outdoor covered deck overlooking Sarasota Bay. We accommodate all types of watercraft from kayaks to yachts. Been fishing? Bring in your filleted fish and we will cook it up for you. Leave a dollar bill on the wall and a little bit of your heart to find on your return visit.
Orlando, Florida
“We were very happy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Visited Mar Vista with family including ages 5-104. Driving up to the front door at night scared me for a minute because I wanted to look good to my out of country family for my choice. Went in through the bar, still not impressed, then out the back door and onto the outside seating area under the trees.....absolutely charming......next time I will go in around the building, the way we left....of course we cannot forget this is an old Florida building on the water....after dinner walked around the property and really appreciated the entire location. The server was very efficient, the food was very good and the prices very reasonable.... lot's of choices. We had the grouper, salmon, shrimp, mullet and the kids had chicken tenders. Again sitting under the trees with lots of lights was the best part, although in early September the temperature was perfect, the floor is all shells (although there is another outside area under the patio on concrete floor), but my mother who is 104 was able to walk out and sit under the trees.
I will go back as soon as possible since I live in Orlando.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Newport News, Virginia
“Diamond in the rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

If you are looking for glitz and glamour, this is not it. It is a charming OLD pub with dollar bills taped to the walls. But most people will be wanting to sit outside under the trees on the beach. Hello, how often can you do that? We were hoping to do that on a recent visit, but a storm rolled in and we had to eat inside. The food was delicious though and our server was great. Had the steamed pot and there was a lot of food in it. Also had the baked seafood platter. The two of us struggled to eat it all. Cannot wait to return on a nice day.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Clermont, Florida
“Just Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have visited the BeachHouse and Sandbar and was impressed, Mar Vista was just so so. The menu was not exciting and the prices were above average, even for the area. I can say I did it but will probably not return. The BeachHouse though will still get return visits from me.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Longboat Key, Florida
“Great place to take friends!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Mar Vista was originally built in 1912 and is one of the few surviving buildings from the 1921 hurricane that damaged most of Longboat Key. It is an Old Florida style restaurant with and updated menu. Great food and love the outdoor seating with the lights on the trees. Burgers are always good. Most recently I had the Scallops Mar Vista which was fabulous! Nice place to take family and friends who are visiting the island.

Tip: We usually sit outside. I find the inside smells a little too much like a bar.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good grub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went for my birthday lunch, had pork tacos that were amazing, couldn't eat them all. View was great and had a great table under the trees. Place is full of charm as all the CHiles group restaurants. Got a complimentary key lime pie that was wonderful and tangy. Will definitely return.

• Visited August 2013