“Great location, nice developed area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Little Gull Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Longboat Key
Little Gull Cottages
You added Little Gull Cottages to your Saves list
5330 Gulf of Mexico Drive, Longboat Key, FL 34228   |
Detroit, Michigan
“Great location, nice developed area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

The cottages are located in a upscale, highly developed area mixed with condos, resorts and private homes. The accommodations are simple and clean. Kitchen could use some updating, but new carpet, nice bedroom, nice living area. The water on the beach is clear and tranquil. Small waves. Some seaweed and seashells on the beach. Resort provides beach chairs, free of charge! Large paved walking/biking path along the road, Great for jogging/walking. Most restaurants are located 5 miles away, although it's an easy drive. This is a destination we'd come back to.
Wi-Fi was not available in the cottage although the host indicated it's planned.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
atlanta, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed for a week in unit 16, the 4 bedroom. A total of 9 of us, including 4 children. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The 4 bedroom is very private with a magnificent balcony-view of the sarasota bay. The fishing dock is right there also which was very convenient. The beach is a short tow minute walk to the other side of the resort, although we drove with all our gear. The traffic on the street you cross is not a concern as there was minimal traffic most of the time with no problems crossing with kids in tow. The beach has chairs and loungers and there were a couple of umbrellas in the unit. There are many (very nice) gas-grills spread around by the pool and beach, and the beach side has a nice shady area with tables and chairs. Overall, a great place for families, the beach is VERY private and one of the nicest I've seen on the gulf.

Now as far as the negatives go there were only a few. The pool is very small, so if you are looking for a resort with a giant pool with waterfalls and slides look elsewhere. The unit we were in was very nice and spacious with adequate furnishings. The only complaint I had were the bathrooms in this unit were very dated and in dire need of renovation- but from what I understand the unit has been scheduled to be renovated.

Overall, it was a very nice stay, and we hope to go back!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

I loved this place. My parents go twice a year, and I downplayed their rave reviews.

I went the first week of this month to celebrate their anniversary with them and I think they understated the place. It was fabulous. I'm not used to that level of hospitality, but then I hadn't been to Florida before. We had noisy neighbors, and after the second day I approached the office about it. Lisa (I think? .. strawberry blonde hair) was extremely tactful. She used humor in getting the guests to see they were disruptive, and the problem was solved.

As we were checking out she made a point out of asking me if the situation had been resolved (thinking I may have resisted a repeat complaint). She and the staff were genuinely interested in the quality of our stay.

I'm planning on celebrating my own anniversary there next year.

It's worth a visit for anyone who is down there.

I can't speak for the bug incident. I don't see any other references to that in other reviews, and our unit was sparkling clean and bug-free.

Thanks to the LG staff -- and the fellow visitors, who for the most part were great folks.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

The condo is very cozy and tropical. There are beautiful views along to bay and at the beach. The staff is wonderful. There are places to walk to and shopping is close. You can use bikes provided by LGC to explore the area.. The beach is private and you can walk for miles along the surf. We loved it so much we go back every year. If you want a nice private family place to kick back, this is it.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
RI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

We stayed for a week....We saw palmetto bugs in the cottage daily - they were in the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen. One flew into my husband's hair in the middle of the night. The bugs are in the roach family, very big, and they fly, jump.
It was a horror show. Management refused to give us our money back so we could leave (we paid for the full week upon arrival, not departure). The front desk and realtor said they had no authority to refund us. The cottage was sprayed 2 times, but the bugs remained. We are still trying to get our money back. Kevin Mattoni, one of the partners, ihas been very rude and unwilling to help.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

We have been vacationing twice a year at Little Gull for the past 24 years ! Why? Because it is the hidden boutique paradise resort so many people search for. No glizty decor, no organized activities, no intrusions. Just 16 beautifully appointed and maintained cottages (1-4 bedrooms) - 8 on the beach side, 8 on the bay side - with all the comforts of home and a wonderful secluded and private beach. Yes, there are free bicycles available, a pool, swings for the little ones and a ping pong table, pool table, wi-fi and a mini brunch once a week in the little rec room behind the office but for the most part people come for the peace and quiet. And if there is a space launch on a clear day you can stand on the dock and see the shuttle after take off.
The area has so much to offer when you want to venture out - St Armands Circle, Mote Aquarium, Marie Selby Botanical Gardens and Sarasota with its numerous attractions. Some of the restaurants are fabulous in all price ranges. We particularly enjoy the low key seafood restaurants on Anna Marie Island piers or the boxed meal at Star Fish Company off of Cortez where the fishing boats come in and we can sit outside and look at the white pelicans.
The staff have been there for years and are so helpful and friendly.
Little Gull is the place that dream vacations are made of.

• Liked — Beautifully appointed and maintained with all the comforts of home.
  • Disliked — Having to leave !
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
carmel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

I went back after many years and it is STILL the best. These cottage are perfect. I have been on the beach side and the bay side and they are both equally nice. I stayed in Unit 15 back on the bay and it was soooooooo peaceful. Very,Very, Very quiet. Mornings were perfect. I would get me coffee and just sit and listen to the quiet.

As for Long Boat Key......the best. We visited Siesta Key, Bradenton,Anna Maria, Holmes beach, and Venice and Long Boat is by far the nicest.

We loved it so much, I put in a request while I was there this spring break and got the beach side unit for next spring break. They are a little more expensive than a holiday inn but for a once a year vacation, it is worth it!

Stayed July 2006

Been to Little Gull Cottages? Share your experiences!