“If you want right on the beach, this is the place.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Beachcomber

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Longboat Key
The Beachcomber
Save Saved
You added The Beachcomber to your Saves list
2721 Gulf of Mexico Dr., Longboat Key, FL 34228   |
Franklin, Wisconsin
“If you want right on the beach, this is the place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Stayed in Unit #602. 2Bdr, 2- half baths and a shared shower area between.

There is not a lot of extra floor space, so things can be a bit snug for a family of four, but it had a great balcony overlooking the beach. The pool had plenty of chairs available. There are also beach chairs available to bring down by the water.

If you only need the room for sleeping and getting ready between journeys to the pool, beach and surrounding area, it works out great. This unit does not have updated amenities like flat screen TVs (I think my ipad screen was larger than the tv in the master bedroom). Twin beds in the 2nd bedroom, take up most of the space. You need to move a bed to get into the closet. I'm wide and barely fit in the bathroom, but again, it met our needs.

All the necessities are there for preparing meals. Coffee or anything on the balcony is great. It was 82 and sunny all week. The beach is more "shelly" than at Anna Maria Island, but with a pair of sneakers, you can go for miles. Two piers are nearby. Saw two Dolphins off shore during the week.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Central Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

My family began staying at The Beachcomber in the '80's while I was in high school. We took yearly vacations (last week of May) to Longboat Key for over 15 years, staying at The Beachcomber every time. It is a small 5 story complex with 20 (two bedroom-one bath, shared tub/shower but separate vanities and toilets) gulf facing condos and 20 (one bedroom, one bath) bay facing condos. We always stayed in a 2 bedroom end unit on the gulf side.
The only thing you need to bring is your swimsuit. The condos are indivdually owned and very well appointed. They differ greatly in design, some owners have remodeled, others haven't, so checkout the pictures of each condo on The Beachcomber's website. We always stayed in one of the end units because of the added light, and view, from the side window. The balconies are HUGE and offer spectacular views of the gulf. The gulf front pool has more than enough space for the kids to swim and for you to cool off. Now, the beach......When I went there as a teenager, the beach was tiny and at high tide it was non existent. The village (?) did a beach restoration years ago that made the beach plenty wide enough to play, sunbathe and stroll......it's fantastic.
I will fill you in on the only thing that may negatively affect your vacation. In recent years the "lovebugs" have taken over this area of Florida. They look a bit like fireflies and won't bite. During the late spring/early summer they swarm to mate and then die. I am not talking about a few here and there.........I'm talking hundreds of thousands. We swept our balcony a couple times a day to get rid of the "lovebug" bodies. They are quite a nuisance, but we are an easy going bunch and in no way did this event ruin our vacation(s), but if you are more "rigid" or have a fear of bugs you will not enjoy the beach during "lovebug season".
The location of the Beachcomber is fabulous! It is directly across the street from Avenue of the Flowers shopping area which contains a Publix, CVS, a few restaurants and specialty shops. Very easily walkable if you need to grab a few items.
If you are the type of person who is "go go go" on vacation there are many local things to do and see. The Ringling Museum, shopping on St. Armand's Circle and the outlet malls, deep sea and pier fishing, Busch Gardens in Tampa, jet ski rentals, Mote Marine Aquarium......we've done them all over the years. Management lives on site and keeps the place clean and organized. Choose The Beachcomber and you won't be disappointed, it's a good value and great location.

Room Tip: End units on gulf and bay sides offer extra light and view from a window. Units ending in 4-8 on th...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012 via mobile

We have been to Longboat Key several times over the years and have always stayed a the The Beachcomber. For a simple, quiet and laid back atmosphere, The Beachcomber can't be beat. The ocean views and sunsets are phenomenal and the beach area is quiet and comfortable.

The Beachcomber is an older property and as such will have some quirkiness, but it's definitely quiet and comfortable. How much time do all these people that complain about the condos, stay in them. We're always on the beach or doing something fun!

We will continue to come to LBK and stay at Th Beachcomber.

• Stayed September 2011
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

We spend the thanksgiving week at appartment 608. It was wondeful! Great vacation!

Room Tip: We were driving from Georgia and I brought a lot of stuff with me thinking I would need it. Tip for...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Russell, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

We have been to the Beachcomber for several years now. We continue to be very pleased, i.e., offers great value and is conventiently located to the ocean (just out the door), shopping, restaurants, and recreation. If there is anything you need, management is on site to assist.

This facility offers you a comfortable stay without the highrise environment.

Don and Jennifer G

Room Tip: If you have a preference as to color or decor, be sure to look at the web-site pictures.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

We enjoyed a fantastic week in this beautifully appointed condo right on the beach. The decorating was done keeping the beach home feel in mind. All the ammenities met our requirements as far as furnishings, kitchen, bedroom, and bath accessories. Obviously a well thoughtout plan for potential renters to be able to enjoy all the comforts of a home away from home. This place would definitely be one we'd consider again when coming to this area.

Room Tip: We chose the beach side because we love to shell and to watch the lovely sunsets from our large balc...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

When I booked the beachcomber at short notice, I explained that my wife was terminally ill, and that we needed a peaceful apartment with a sea view as this would be her last holiday. We had read some of the reviews and had selected the beachcomber because it said it would be peaceful. When we arrived we were very pleased with the unit we were in.
That pleasure soon turned to unhappiness when workmen arrived to continue installation of the sprinkler system. This consisted of them hammer drilling into the concrete ceilings and walls in the corridor outside our condo. This was so loud that we had to shout to each other to be heard. Relaxing was completely ot of the question. I immediately complained to the office and was told that the work had to be completed. The workmen were later moved to another floor for the remainder of that day but we could still hear the drilling and hammering. The following day they were back on our floor not only was there noise but a strong smell of solvent that was being used to join the sprinkler pipes.
While I understand the need for work to be carried out, I should have been warned about the noise so that I could have chosen altenative accomodation. I explained this to the office staff and I have suggested compensation for the disturbance and distress this caused my wife, but this request has been constantly refused.
My terrible overall rating is not for the unit we were in, but for the way the staff failed to forewarn us about the noise, even though I had explained the need for peace and quiet. It was clear that this work was in progress when we booked and so there is no excuse for not mentioning it. I also feel that they have been very unsympathetic to the situation and can't understand why we would be unhappy about the noise. I wouldn't want to book the beachcomber again because if they don't feel that ongoing building work is important enough to mention, what else would they not tell propective guests?

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Beachcomber? Share your experiences!