“Don't do it!!” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   68500 Overseas Highway, Long Key, FL 33001   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Long Key B&B and Inns
“Don't do it!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Greetings, I hope Fellow travellers will read this review and save their vacation !
Ok let's get to the point, My wife and I picked this place thourgh Expedia the photos of the grounds looked
fantastic and the price seemed ok, now for the shock, We were given room 106 (deluxe studio ) first floor
ocean view. Upon entering the room the first thing that got our attention was the stench of the air-conditioning.
I work in the industrial air-conditioning and refrigeration business I Knew what the Odor was all about (mold and mildew).
The filter wasn't cleaned for Probably a year, next was the Light switches on the walls did nothing for the lights in the room.The ceiling fan had a lightbulb out which I reported at the moment I arrived no one came to change the lightbulb
I Immediately returned to the front desk complained and was told if I am not happy they would gladly cancel my reservation
and they had no other rooms they were booked. A short time after their grounds keeper/Maintenance man arrived to clean
the filter, it was so caked up with crud he had to use a brush to get as much dirt out as he can. I asked him why would he not just use a vacuum he stated he did not have one. Also the stove and refrigerator had visible signs of rust, Some of the cabinets bottoms formica was peeling off and the way. Now the good stuff Ha !, I know why all of this neglect as rampant throughout out the resort. The owner or owners have a little pet project in building what looks like a restaurant next-door, Noisy dusty conditions we had to deal with. Another unprofessional moment was in there Continental breakfast/waiting area, a conversation which appeared to be between the owner and his manager discussing what they should be paying their employees at what start rate and If the manager checked craigslist for any new applicants. By the way the manager with the white frame glasses was very rude on more than one occasion I acknowledged him and said good morning but I guess he felt his iPad was more important than greeting his guests in the morning maybe he was searching for new employees on craigslist. The Lime Tree Resort needs to take care of their guests above all priorities. We end up staying after Expedia advised us that if we Checked out to go to another place the refund would be up to the resort not them and that we would probably not get a refund. So Travelers beware !!!

Dean Kay..
Ps.
I do have photographs of my concerns but it would probably be useless to pursue it any further than a review.
One good thing "Thank God no bed bugs"..

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Finnish first
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was the first stop on our tour of the Keys. The staff was extremely friendly. The view from our room was amazing. We had a very relaxing morning just sitting in the hammocks, listening to the water. True, there is no beach access, which I find to be the trend through most of the Keys. The view of the sunset more than made up for it. The rooms could be updated, the bathrooms could use a little sprucing up, but overall this was a good choice for us. The pool was great. Breakfast was a bit of a letdown, but we weren't expecting anything at all, so who can complain? Wifi was consistent and free! Overall, it was a very nice stop.

Room Tip: Any room with a view of the sunset, which I believe they all have, will be a good choice.
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed on July 17, 2013 which also happened to be our anniversary. We only stayed one night, as our final destination was Key West. We booked our room based on the positive reviews we saw on Trip Advisor and we were beyond happy with our experience. When we checked in, we found out that we were actually staying at the Zane Grey Inn which is located across the street. We were in room # 2 and were very surprised when we pulled up. We had a covered parking spot and upon entry to the room, discovered that it was actually a three-story condo. To our surprise we had been upgraded and were in awe of the space that we had. The condo had 3 bedrooms, 3 baths and overlooked the canal on one side and the pool on the other. It also had a full kitchen with stainless steel appliances. It was definitely a lot of room for 2 people and would have been a lot of room with 6 people! If you are traveling with a big group, room # 2 would be a perfect fit for you. We were disappointed that we were only staying one night, but definitely plan to return in the future. At night, we went back to the Lime Tree Inn and watched the sunset from the dock. They had hammocks available also and the pool was nearby. They also provided a continental breakfast in the morning. If you decide to stay here, you won't be disappointed!!

San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We loved the pictures online and thought this place would be great. Sadly it is not. First thing we discovered was that there is no beach swimming access from the property. The pool is ugly and above ground and something you might imagine on the national lampoons vacation movie. Plus if you were to swim, the hotel doesn't have enough pool towels for their guests. We were denied towels for half of our room occupants every day. They also don't have enough bath towels. We asked for extra but were denied and only provided three towels for our six paid occupants. They acted like we were crazy asking for enough towels for a shower. Our air conditioning didn't work well. It was warm in our two bedroom suite. It sucked because its so hot and steamy in the keys. We needed air. There also is not any laundry facilities on site. The closest laundromat is about 20 minutes away. The hotel is on the ugly side of the ocean. The pretty, blue, clear side is across the street. Get a hotel on that side. Also the sea grass collects along the water on the beach and stinks very badly. Also an entire set of lights in the living room somt work. Its dark in pur living area. Sucks for a four day stay. I can accept places that aren't fancy but still deliver good service and value but this place just doesn't care about their guests. If they did, my kids would have a towel to take a shower and good air conditioning so we could at least feel comfortable. Finally, the best thing here is the sunset and the expresso machine in the lobby . The sunset is lovely and beautiful. The area where you can sit and watch the sunset is pretty and peaceful. The free espresso is so perfect. The lobby is pretty and their air conditioning works well.

• Stayed July 2013
Waller texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel was nice. The room we stayed in was ok. I really think it could use new blinds the porch light would not turn off and there was no night. ( the light was in our room all night) But it had a beautiful view and enjoyed visiting with the other guest.

St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Daily housekeeping is not what it should be. Inconsistent on what type of towels- one day two bath towels and one hand towel, the next two bath towels, a hand towel, and a floor towel. We are on day 4 and the toilet has yet to be cleaned. That said, when the shower had a problem (kept shutting off) it was promptly fixed.

Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Read negatives about this hotel before I booked and almost did not book....That would have been a great mistake. This place is awesome. Beautiful, layed back in the middle of the Keys so you don't have to go to far to Key West to check out the action or Key Largo to check out John Pennekamps reef. It is right on the Gulf of Mexico....well the west side of Florida.. They call it the bay but it is the Gulf. Beautiful sunsets! Free Kayaks and bikes, two little convenience stores and deli's across the street. Very clean well maintained property. I almost don't want to tell anyone about it so they will have room for me when I come back!!!!! We got a waterfront king with full kitchen for around 268 (including tax) for two nights. That is 116 a night. We drove down to Key West on Sunday July 14th and stopped at each hotel we were thinking about staying after our two days in Key West. Post Card Inn, Pelican Cove, Drop Anchor, ect...then we got to Lime tree and right away said to ourselves this is it. I don't care what the rooms look like. Well, we booked and came back two days later and were very impressed with our room. We are actually still here. I am typing right now sitting under there tiki huts right on the gulf. Their wifi actually works great in our room and we are about as far away as you can be from office. So excited to find such an awesome gem. I remember reading a post that said ac was too loud. We turn ours all the way down because it was too cold last night with ac on so in the morning we kicked it back up and it was loud for a few minutes then went to a quiet hum. Didn't bother us at all but I do fall asleep with tv on. There is a place to get into the gulf to swim and snorkel, there is a dock to fish or sit and there pool is beautiful. There are hammocks and lounges all over the place......Totally Love this little gem!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lime Tree Bay Resort Motel? Share your experiences!