“Horrible Staff and thieves” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Live Oak
Burlington, Vermont
“Horrible Staff and thieves”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I called this motel a few days before a 3 night stay. I had to cancel my first night stay so I called the motel 2 days before and talked to girl and cancelled my first night, she said you're all set and hung up! When I arrived they had told me that I had been charged for a NO Show for the night before. I explained that I had actually called and cancelled and thats when the attitude came out. Difficult unintelligent abrasive women were not giving me a chance to explain, and had no interest in working out the situation with me. The check in process was painful and slow and dealing with these people was infuriating beyond belief. I got charged for a room I never stayed in and they thought they were justified because whoever told me it was cancelled was not coming forward and being honest. As far as Im concerned this motel stole 70 plus dollars from me and now its in dispute with my bank and will be resolved painfully by the authorities, and not a helpful, well run hotel. Do Not Stay Here go across the Street to the Holiday Inn. Pathetic unprofessional unintelligent managers and staff. 100 thumbs down. Oy Yeah don't expect any help from the manager Shirl she was the most stubborn unprofessional Ive ever dealt with. Not worth saving money when you end up getting screwed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hollywood, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed here on business, trying to save my company some money so I chose this property instead of the H I Express and B W off the same exit. It was OK for a nights sleep but thats about it....Property is old and tired but the room was clean enough. The thing that irks me lately with some of the Choice Hotels is there is no complimentery toiletry items available at the front desk !!! I needed toothpaste (again) its my fault but just about every hotel has toothpaste available and was told "sorry" and I needed to go to the Walmart across the street. I am sorry but I do not want to go to Walmart at 11 pm for toothpaste when I kind of expect it to be available at my hotel if I need it. Maybe I am spoiled but I have been on the road for over 20 years now and this seems to be a trend with some of the Choice properties. Otherwise it seems to be OK for a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Do not stay here! We shower in the a.m. and discovered an hour before we were supposed to get on the road that our shower did not work. Did what we could about getting clean and shared info at the front desk when we checked out. I asked for a partial refund because we had no shower. Of course, the front desk could do nothing. We left our telephone number and the manager was supposed to get right back to us. A week later I called and the manager was not there again. Called the 800 # for Econo Lodge and placed a complaint. The complaint process yielded the manager was not going to give us any money back. We have no recourse. Most Econo Lodges are independently owned and you are at their mercy. The manager is extremely inconsiderate and has the skill level of a sixth grade education. Beware. This place is sub-standard!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed there last weekend. The hotel staff was pretty good and seemed to be very accomidating. However, there were several cleanliness issues in the room; smelled bad like vomit, there were several spiders and roach sitings.

The worse part was the people "shady" characters that hung around late at night. People would knock on your door and when I would answer, i wouldn't know who they were. It appeared that a lot of shady type of stuff was going on at all times.

It is not a kid friendly hotel as it seems that this is the place for the 1 hour rendevous.

Room Tip: Park close to your window so you can keep an eye on your car.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lilburn, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

The lobby smells like an ashtray. Upon checking in to our two rooms, one of the "non-smoking" rooms smelled so horrible that my fiance and I decided we couldn't stay in the room. Instead of offering different rooms, the manager yelled at me "It is a non-smoking room! It doesn't smell like smoke!!" At that point, we decided we WOULDN'T stay at a hotel that treated us like that. They refused to refund our money for the two rooms. I know it was a "bargain hotel" and didn't have high expectations, but you don't yell at customers. I was not yelling at them. The lack of customer service was appalling. Pay the extra $20 and stay at the Holiday Inn Express across the street. Thankfully, I put the room on my American Express...DISPUTE!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

My mother and I started an 11 day road trip toward Biloxi and just needed to stop midway for a hotel. We booked at this hotel. The front staff were extremely friendly and accomodating. The security guard was quick to help us get our bags to our room on the second floor. The room was nice and clean. The free breakfast was modest but very good.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

When we looked at the reviews it looked like this place was better than the average Econo Lodge so we decided to give them a call. The girl on the front desk answered the phone and immediately asked if she could call me back because she had a 'customer'... She called back in about 30 minutes and I asked her about the rooms and rates. At first she said she had a king - non-smoking but then, after talking to someone (I presume it was the manager), she said there were none available and we settled on two double beds. When she asked for my address and contact info I asked if I could just give her my Choice Privileges number but she said no - she needed everything. I had to repeat every single sentence at least twice because she couldn't understand me... may have been a bad cell connection because we were on the road traveling at the time she called back. She asked for a credit card to guarantee the room and I started giving her the number. She started repeating the number for the first two sets of digits until someone (I presume it was the manager) told her not to repeat it - I guess there were others in the office with her... after hearing her repeat the numbers I was giving her I would not have gone to the 3rd set without telling her not to do so myself.
When we arrived we checked the room out and it looked okay so we unloaded the car and headed off to see the local state park. When we got back it was late so we took showers which caused the bathroom to flood - not because the curtain was not pulled but because there were huge holes near the faucets which water flowed into and drained right onto the floor via a crack by the tub and tile. We used our towels to sop up the water and then decided to see what was on HBO. The printed channel list showed HBO was on channel 2 but the TV would not go to channel 2 - even if you tried to select it by number... so I called the front desk and found it had been moved to channel 722! When we tried watching it the picture was constantly freezing and pixelating so we had to watch another channel. We went to bed and the bed squeaked and rocked every time one of us moved. We like to snuggle so sleeping on different beds was not an option although we came close to doing just that. At 3am the people upstairs decided to take showers - noisiest shower we've ever heard! It squealed and shrieked so loud that I don't know how anyone could have slept through that...
In the morning we turned on the TV to watch the news and I decided to make some coffee. The coffee maker was unplugged (as it usually is in most hotels) so I looked for a place to plug it in. The only problem there was the TV and Comcast box took up both outlets on the wall where the coffee makes was and I had to unplug the TV so I could make coffee!!!
Then came the BIG surprise! While we were watching TV we started noticing German Roaches on the nightstand IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!!! My wife HATES them and is deadly afraid of them and didn't want to take a chance on giving them a free trip back to our house so we packed up our bags and checked out. I hope we didn't get any stow-aways because those are really hard to get rid of. That will be our LAST stay at an Econo Lodge!!!

Room Tip: Don't believe everything you read in the reviews.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!