“Exceptional place to get away from the world and relax with your loved one.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Palm Island Resort & Spa

You added Little Palm Island Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Little Palm Island Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   28500 Overseas Highway, Little Torch Key, FL 33042   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
$200 resort credit
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Exceptional place to get away from the world and relax with your loved one.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Little Palm Island has earned its reputation. Stayed a week for our honeymoon in the Romance Suite (recommended). Everything was exceptional. We could not have been happier. Be prepared to spend a LOT. This is not a place to stay if you're looking for "value". It's the place to stay if you want an exceptional, quiet place to be alone with someone you love.

• Stayed May 2014
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
First off, congratulations on the wedding! We are very pleased you spent your honeymoon with us to celebrate. Thank you for recommending our Romance Suite, we are very glad you received the honeymoon every new couple deserves. Have a happy marriage!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
toulon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

If you want Get lost, it's THE place to be!!
Every thing is for your happiness and your feeling good. The staf is friendly but discreet, the suites are amazing. You believe you're in a magic island, where everything is quiet and beautiful. The luxe without "bling-blin"...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
dmarkey_LPI, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you so much for this amazing review! We love to hear how much you enjoyed getting lost with us! We will make sure we let our staff members know how much you loved their help during your stay. Thanks again for the review. We hope you stop by and see us again soon!
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Just returned from celebrating my 40th Birthday. My wife and I have stayed here on 3 separate occasions and it just gets keeps getting better. Every detail and every moment is perfect. The food is fantastic, the staff is out of this world and the laid back "get lost" atmosphere really can't be conveyed from reading a review. It's surreal and something that has to be experienced yourself. I might be a little biased, but Little Palm is the best place in the US. Nothing else compares. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it's absolutely worth every dollar. I can't wait to return this winter-or maybe even sooner. Thanks to Holli, Brenda, Renda, Aziz, Belinda, Brittney, Julio, Willie, Josh, Liz and anyone else whom I may have forgotten. Each of you have simply helped create a piece of magic. Thank You for helping my wife and I create such wonderful memories!

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We are so happy that you celebrated your 40th birthday with us here at Little Palm! We will be sure that we let our staff members know how much you appreciate their wonderful hospitality. We hope to see you again soon. Thanks again for the review!
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

One of the finest resorts I have ever stayed at. It is expensive, but t costs money for quality and service of this magnitude. Everything was absolutely perfect and I can't think of a single thing they could improve upon.

Room Tip: Every room is spectacular, but the Grand suites take it up a notch even higher.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for this review! We are so happy to hear that your stay with us was perfect. We hope that you choose to stay with us again in the near future. Thanks again!
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I’ve been coming to Little Palm Island since the past decade - first by staying on a charter boat at the dock, and the past two times staying in the suites. We arrived by seaplane (really the best way to truly experience LPI) and were promptly greeted and shown to our Island Grand Suite. There is no check-in per se, and that’s how it should be. I was there from Friday, March 21st through Monday, March 24th. The weather was perfect and sunny the entire stay.

The first noticeable thing about Little Palm Island, is that you are simply overcome by a wave of relaxation. It’s what keeps you coming back.

The best part of this resort is the seclusion, peacefulness and it’s romance. The staff are very attentive and always make a stay there is enjoyable.

I reserved the Island Grand Suite (there are only two on the resort). They are in one structure, with unit number one on the bottom, which has a outdoor barrel-type jacuzzi, and a firepit by the water. The firepit turned out to be our favorite feature of the suite. Upon arrival, the door knob fell off the door, which was surprising (but was replaced immediately). The room is nice, but I’ve noticed over the years that the suites are aged and really need some major renovation. The downsides to the suite (the most expensive on the island) were there we could hear the people in the suite above us. This is something you don’t have to worry about with the other suites, which are one-level. The bed was horrible - the mattress was old and soft. Upon closer inspection - the mattress was actually ripped on the side, and had a piece of plywood between the over-soft mattress and the box-spring (a trick resort owners use to extend the life of an old mattress). I woke up with a sore back every morning. You really would not expect this when you’re paying $2,500+ a night. The rest of the suite was nice - but dated. There are some complementary sodas and water in the room fridge, and a chilled bottle of champagne. The Island Suite has separate his and her bathrooms which is nice. The master bath has a claw foot tub while the other bathroom has a indoor-outdoor shower. Outside there is a nice deck with table/chairs with a view of the dock and water. There is also a jacuzzi which was great.

The food and drinks at Little Palm were excellent. The staff is outstanding.

The pool and beach area are small, but perfect and charming. Just next to the beach is a watersports activity center which allows you to try kayaking, paddle boards, and even small motorboats that you can go explore the surrounding islands.

My favorite tradition is to have a cocktail at sunset, and at Little Palm Island, the sunsets are spectacular. There is a firepit (gas) with comfortable furniture just off the lounge which allow you to really enjoy the water and colors of the setting Sun.

Every now and then, you’ll see the miniature Key Deer which have free reign of the island. They swim over from other islands and are very tame. It just adds to the charm of the place.

During our stay, there was an incentive group there, which actually detracted from the experience. Little Palm Island says on it’s website that phones are not allowed in public areas - this is for the enjoyment of all guests. Unfortunately, some of the incentive group people didn’t seem to understand this, and were on their phone at the pool (not to mention leaving the volume on so we were all notified when a text or other message came in). The other annoying thing was that on the Saturday we were there (our first full day in paradise), the incentive group charted the seaplane for rides all day long. I felt like I was at an airport. Not something that I’ve ever experienced at Little Palm, which boasts it’s romantic, peaceful charm. I’ve seen this trend with some nicer resorts, and unfortunately it would appear that LPI management/owners have finally gave in to catering to the incentive groups to add to the bottom line. It will make me re-think another stay at LPI, when I can go to other exclusive resorts that actually respect my experience over profits of larger groups.

Overall, I highly recommend staying at Little Palm island, and arriving by seaplane to get the full experience.

Below are some other observations about Little Palm Island.

Making Reservations: Call to book - do not book online. This is because you want to ask in advance if there is a group staying there, which may detract from your stay.

Incentive Groups: Call ahead and avoid. If you are a couple, and want a romantic get-away, having an incentive group sharing your island is what you want to avoid.

Key Deer: The deer are tame and adorable. Don’t feed the deer. You’re just making them more dependent on resort food and drinks. Yes, drinks. There are times when you leave your drink unattended by the pool, and next thing you know a cute little deer is enjoying your Cuba Libre or your margarita. At dinner, they’ll come up to your table. If you wave them away, you’re good. If you encourage them, then they’ll start eating your food. The staff is always good about making sure they’re not a nuisance, but it’s up to you to really respect the deer, so they don’t interrupt your romantic dinner.

Billing System: Just let the bartender or server know your suite number, and you’re good. You don’t need to sign any receipt for drinks or food. It’s a great system, and really adds to the overall ambiance of the place.

Room Selection: I like the Island Grand Suites - aside from comments above. You’re right on the water, have a good view, and it truly makes you feel like you’re experiencing the full island effect. The other suites have blocked views, and are more in the foliage than on the waterfront. I also like having the firepit at night.

Docking with your Yacht: Best value. Charter from Lauderdale or Miami. Cruise down the Keys. Stay at Little Palm, then Seaplane back.

No TV in Suites: There are no TV’s in the suites - you don’t need them on a romantic island resort like this. Never missed it. I actually applaud the management for not getting any TV’s in the suites.

Resort Background Music: On the Sunday I was there, it must have been 70’s music day at the pool. In this day and age, there’s no need for background music, since everyone has their own iPods, etc. It’s more distracting than anything. In the dining area, the live music is nice, and the lounge acts at night in the lounge is great. I would recommend to the management to keep the rest of the resort music free, aside from the dining area.

Weekend Brunch: Little Palm Island opens the island up to non-guests for it’s renowned weekend brunches. It used to be Sunday only, but is now both days.
- Saturday 10:30 am
- Sunday 10:00 am
At first I was a bit weary of a larger in-flux of guests for dinner and brunch, but the staff handles the small crowd well, and I barely noticed.

For the Resort Management and Owners:

I stayed in the bottom floor island suite 1. You can hear the guests above walking - it's very distracting. In addition, the mattress was horrible. It was so old and soft that I woke up with a backache every morning. Not something I expect to pay $2,500 a night for. Comments will be make on TripAdvisor. The staff was excellent. Food was excellent. During our stay, there was an incentive group there (insight). While I can understand you want to maximize profits, I find it a bit odd you go after this kind of business. It would appear as though incentive groups take people that could not normally afford (nor follow the rules) that other guests that pay to be there. I go to Little Palm for rest and relaxation. The incentive group people were using their phones at the pool (as in talking on the phone, and the phones were not on silent, so that when a message or other alert was sent, you could hear it). It may not seem like a big deal, but I can get that at a Holiday Inn. Not something I've seen at Little Palm in the past. I mentioned this to the bartender at the pool - and she did not notice - but probably because she was so busy with the incentive group ordering a lot of drinks, that she should really not have to be the pool police. The other non-relaxing noise was on Saturday (March 22nd), the seaplane was going non-stop giving the incentive group rides. I flew in on the Seaplane and loved it. A few times a day, it's not distracting, but it was a constant interruption to the peace and tranquility that LPI is known for. The incentive group business may be good for your bottom line, but it will make me think twice next time I want to reserve a suite there - and I will suggest to others that want to stay there to avoid a stay that coincides with any incentive or other large groups that stay there.

I’d be happy to pay more, to avoid the larger groups you cater to there. I’m sure other guests feel the same way. Given that LPI is one of the few (or only) really nice, secluded, private, resort in Florida, I hope that you really consider going back to catering to a more exclusive clientele.

The suites are aged and dated. It appears as though staff is fixing symptoms instead of problems with the suites. A big renovation/overhaul has been needed for years.

I’d recommend closing the resort for a year, and just doing a complete overhaul. This would include rebuilding the suites with plunge pools, solar hot water and PV, and other things which not only make the stay more enjoyable for the guests, but will save you money in the long run (and add to your bottom line). You can still keep the eclectic charm of the place, with more modern suites.

Room Tip: I recommend the Island Grand Suite - top floor (there are only two on the island). Call the resort...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your stay. We do greatly appreciate all of the feedback we can get. We would like to start by saying that we are so thankful for your loyalty to our resort. It is also great to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and found the ambiance of the resort to be relaxing. We do agree that the fireplace and Key Deer add to that ambiance. It was also great to hear that you enjoyed our dining options. We do greatly apologize for the various inconveniences that you came across with other resort guests, the mattress in your room, and finding the resort to be outdated. These are all big concerns that we will be addressing immediately with our management team. We do hope that we can prove ourselves to you the next time you stay here and show you better hospitality.
Truro, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I have a pretty good imagination and my wife and I have been in many 5 star hotels/resorts in the world. From Europe, to Singapore/Bangkok/Bali, Agra/Judiapur/Udaipur India and the many beautiful states in our America we have experienced a lot of luxury. So we arrived to Little Palm with curiosity and anticipation and left completely blown away by the experience.
It must be mentioned that I had the privilege of officiating a wedding on this paradise which was completely occupied by the 65 wedding guests, so that also added to the magical feeling.
From our greeting at little Torch Key with a signature cocktail, to the tour of the concierge of the island and arriving at our 'room' we knew we were in for a spectacular treat. We loved every detail about the rooms including the special notes left each night. Like other travelers we used the outdoor shower everyday and our units hot tub and fire pit. We were just across from the Bird Sanctuary which as you can imagine gave us visual beauty in every moment. Food was fantastic, so many favs but I would have to say the huge prawns grilled to perfection and the roast pig! Of course plenty of vegetarian options too. All in all if your budget can handle it, rent 1 room or 30 and have an experience of a life time. We will be thanking our friends forever for inviting us to this experience.

Room Tip: The rooms near or facing the bird sanctuary area are wonderful. If you want be where the action is...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
This was such an amazing review. Thank you for sharing this. First of all, please send our congratulations to the newly weds. What a cool experience to be able to officiate their wedding! Also, having a good imagination is a wonderful thing. Second, it is so amazing to hear that you had a great experience overall. The bird sanctuary is such a lovely area, so we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed that. Thank you again for sharing this, and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
Auburn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Where do I begin? I could write a short book on this place! But I won't & will try to be brief.

I've been begging my husband for YEARS to take me here. It's definitely more than we usually spend on 2 nights away, but after it was all said and done…we both agreed it was worth every single penny.

We went to celebrate my 40th birthday. And both days, the chef made me feel special with "happy birthday" desserts and one night, the menu featured a special birthday message to me at the top (they even sent one home with me as a memento).

From the moment we stepped into the "lobby/check-in" area on Little Torch Key, we were known by the staff and treated like royalty. They do their homework and are very good!

We did wonder going into this trip if we would get a little bored (that's why we spent 2 nights in Miami first - we like options - shopping/movies/restaurants/etc). We also love our TV at night! So going to a very chill environment was a bit intimidating for us. WE NEVER MISSED TECHNOLOGY. Not once. We left there the most relaxed I think we've ever been.

Highlights:
-outdoor shower off the bathroom - we never used the indoor one! I felt like I was in a rainforest!
-service was top notch, catered to your every whim. And never paid as you go/left tips. Of course, you paid at the end, but it was nice to eat lunch/dinner and simply walk away rather than wait for a bill.
-dinner by the water, it was so romantic! I felt like I was on a fantasy date from The Bachelor!
-we had a private dinner arranged the 2nd night in their little pavilion hut - complete with rose petals everywhere on the floor & table. Wonderful! However, I hate to sound negative b/c it really was wonderful, but if we had to do it over again, we'd prefer to sit out by the beach again! (Plus, it was extra $$ for that experience!)
-the spa treatment was fabulous - I had a body scrub/massage combo that included showering off in the spa's private outdoor shower that was simply heavenly (what is it with me & outdoor showers…never thought I'd love them!)
-the water is very very grassy - it's not the kind of water to swim around in. The most you will want to do is sit in it closer to shore, but it was okay. It was simply gorgeous. So peaceful.
-paddleboarding & boats at your leisure anytime was a plus.
-the deer are precious if you are an animal lover. I loved feeding the deer!
-Turn down service was nice - they would drape the netting over the bed.
-many times we felt completely alone on the island, it really was an escape from reality!
-mango daiquiris!!!
-the food was simply delicious - never had anything that was even just OKAY. EVERYTHING was sooooo good!!
-Breakfast delivered on our front porch deck - that was awesome.
-the fitness center was small but very nice. We were the only ones ever in it while we were there!
-they kept you stocked in bottled water and other drinks in your room, that was nice.
-our name in large scrabble-style tiles outside our bungalow!! That was fun!
-no front desk on the island - when we got off the boat, we were personally greeted on the dock by a concierge who gave us a tour of the island and made us feel so welcome!

I would love to get the opportunity to come back here one day! It was truly an experience I will never forget. We travel a lot, usually with our kids, but we do get little trips alone here & there and this place BY FAR is the best vacation we ever had alone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed and flattering review of your stay with us at the Little Palm Island Resort and Spa! We are so thrilled that you had such a memorable experience with us. We are happy to hear you loved the special birthday treatment and that we made you feel like “royalty.” We appreciate you sharing with us all of your favorite highlights of your stay and all of the amenities that you found inside and outside of your room. We thank you again for the review and we hope to welcome you back again for more memories the next time you are visiting Little Torch Key.

Been to Little Palm Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!