“Sleep in your car instead!” 1 of 5 stars

Stay & Save Inn
1308 N. 14th St., Leesburg, FL 34748 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Leesburg
Frankfort, Kentucky
“Sleep in your car instead!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I have checked 3 times to make sure we are all talking about the same place. This was by far the nastiest place I have ever stayed in my life! I was exhausted when I got to the hotel or I would have left after seeing the room.
The check in was nice but the lady behind the desk was not allowed to give me the rate that was listed on the internet. I asked if there was a computer I could use and she directed me to a computer in the lobby. I walked over and in 5 minutes booked my room for 20 dollars cheaper than the walk up rate. I assume that by getting this rate I also got a room meant for that rate.
I was directed to drive around the building to a single room on the second floor. By looking at the cars in the lot it appeared the hotel was at about 5% occupancy. I parked near my room and had to walk up the stairs. The stairs looked like somebody had been dragging a dead body down them by the amount of dried sticky stuff all over them. I found my room and unlocked it but the door would only open about 10 inches or so…I put my shoulder into it and it finally opened. The room smelled like the smoking areas at the Atlanta airport. The “carpet” had to be 20 yrs old and was about the consistency of outdoor carpet. One twin bed awaited me with the standard 30 yr old comfortable on top of it….which I grabbed immediately and threw into the corner of the room. I made my way to the bathroom and after turning on the light I thought I needed to go request my money back and check out of this place. I thought again and only having 6 hours till I needed to be out of the hotel …I thought I could deal with it.
Just wanting to get some sleep I got undressed and left my socks on till I got in bed. Having walked around the room about 3 times before getting in the bed I noticed my socks were already black on the bottom. The mattress was a total of about 6 inches thick and had to be the original mattress for this room. This was the lumpiest thing I have ever seen…much less slept on. There were 2 pillows on the bed that were not much thicker than the pillowcase. I started once to look at the pillows inside the cases but changed my mind worried about what I might find. I tried to use the phone and request a wake-up call but the phone would not work.
I took 2 over the counter sleep aides and slept about 4 hours. I awoke and went to take a shower. The “goodies” left in the room consisted of two bars of soap and 2 bottles of lotion….not wanting to think that out too far I decided just to wash my hair with the bar of soap. The shower had hot water which made me feel lucky at this point. The bottoms of my feet were black after my two trips around the room before getting in the shower. The cheap shower curtain kept sticking to me and was too short for the tub and water kept getting on the floor of the bathroom from the shower. The water would not drain from the tub very quickly so it kept getting deeper on my ankles. I let the water drain out and then got back in the shower to was my feet again as my mind would not quit thinking about that water I was standing in.
I thought about making some coffee with the pot on the bathroom sink but decided I was not THAT in need of coffee. I got dressed and got out as quickly as I could. This is the first time I can ever remember leaving a hotel room after taking a shower and feeling dirty. The sidewalks did not look any better in the daylight than they did at night. I carried my rollerboard again as I didn’t want that “stuff” on my wheels.
I know you get what you pay for but this place needs to be closed. I can’t believe Econo-Lodge allows their name on this place. Do yourself a favor…stay elsewhere….if you don’t have the money for elsewhere….sleep in your car and shower at a truckstop….you will feel better!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Leesburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

Clean rooms, extremly friendly staff, breakfast is fresh, great that it has the option of getting a drink at their on property lounge (i don't drink however), amazing food at the Tai restaurant! I personally will return next year with my wife and kids!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I have just returned from Florida & felt compelled to write this review as having read all earlier reviews I was too worried about staying at the Econolodge & thought that it may spoil my holiday. It didnt at all & this hotel does not deserve the negative reviews it receives. this is a no frills hotel but does what is says on the tin. you get what you pay for afterall. We found the staff to be friendly, rooms clean & lovely pool area. I am just about to book another holiday to Florida & will def stay at this hotel again. Dont be put off & have a great time in the sunshine state

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

My last review on the Leesburg Econolodge was February 2009, and sorry to say I have to update my opinion, as 14 months later, it's showing more wear and tear.

I noted in my last review that the mattress seemed worn and uncomfortable and it was even more so this time. My husband was pretty miserable from the thinness of the mattress.

We couldn't get the safe in our room to work properly and no one seemed able to fix it.

Cleanliness had suffered somewhat - the first night, I found a previous guest's coffee cup between the bed and the nightstand. Based on the evaporation marks, it had been there for quite a while.

I will say the staff at the Econolodge is very friendly and eager to help, even if they're not always able to. The daytime staff seemed better on whole than the nighttime staff.

There's a brand-new Best Western now directly across the street from the Econolodge. For future trips, we will probably consider springing for the additional $30 or so per night to stay at the Best Western. Based on a comment the very friendly woman at the Econolodge front desk made about recent low occupancy rates, I suspect a lot of previous guests have been making the same choice.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

This is a great place to stay, the rooms are clean and the staff is the best i have ever encountered, friendly and helpful. charming place close to everything in Leesburg. I would reccommend highly to anyone who is traveling on a budget and wants the service of a more expensive hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Freeport, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

This hotel was OK. Not great but not bad either. Could have been cleaner. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rate was great! (coupons in travel book)
Comp breakfast was above average. Cereal, pastries etc.
Good basic hotel.
Just became Econolodge. (Jan 09)

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

This place was horrible. We didn't feel safe. It was beyond words. Please look at our pictures.

On the bright side, Hotewire refunded our money (and also an extra 50 dollars for our trouble) after we sent them the pictures. I am glad to see that their star rating has been lowered from a 2.5 to a 1 star.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Just see our pictures
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Stay & Save Inn? Share your experiences!