“Great location, great room, horrible staff.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Sea Lord Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Sea Lord Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4140 El Mar Dr, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great location, great room, horrible staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

My family and I recently just stayed at The Sealord in one of their oceanfront suites with 2 balconies. The room itself was very nice and clean, and it has a flat screen TV in both the bedroom and living room area. The balconies had a great view of the ocean. The pool was always clean and it's fairly big so you have lots of room to swim and relax. But, there are a lot of bad things about this hotel. One, the pool deck. It is almost impossible to get a longue chair by the pool unless you go down at like 7 am to reserve one. That means you either have to sit at a table or go out and lay/sit on the beach. Before the remodeled there was an endless amount of longue chairs by the pool, now there's only 4. You can pay $5 for a longue chair to use on the beach, but I think that is ridiculous. They should be free, we already are paying for enough as it is. Another complaint I have concerning the pool is the guy who cleans it. He is a tall, bald man who never smiles or says much to anyone. He doesn't start the whole pool cleaning process until like 8:30am, which is when I usually wanted to use it. He also goes around the pool deck sweeping all around you, even under your chair when you are trying to relax. He just gave off a bad vibe. The next complaint I have is the breakfast. It is absolutely terrible. All you have to pick from is 2 cereal choices, 2 or 3 fruit choices, stale bagels, and cheap pastries. They also make you eat your food in the small dining area now, you aren't allowed to go to your room. A lady with shoulder length blonde hair is usually supervising the breakfast. One time she came over and poured coffee for me when I never even asked for it or even wanted it. So to be nice, I drank it. It sucked. It was bitter even with lots of cream and sugar added. I ended up only drinking two sips, which I think made her mad because every day since then she stopped saying good morning to me and just gave me an evil glare. It's not my fault your coffee sucks. My final complaint is the maid service. The first full day we were there, no maid came to our room. Since it was the first day it didn't really matter, but still. After that the maid would come, but at different times every day. She'd come at 9am, then the next day she wouldn't come til like 4pm. It made it hard to avoid her cause she ended up always coming in whenever we were in the room. The maids also don't knock if you don't have the do not disturb sign on. They walk right into your room, without any warning. We also never got clean sheets or pillow cases any of the days we were there, all the maid does is fluff your pillows, make your bed, and vaccum. You'll be lucky if she gives you more than 2 clean towels. Overall, the experience was just okay. The rooms are very expensive, but have great views. The pool is nice and gets a lot of sun. But the staff and service flat out sucks. The only nice staff member is the long brown haired girl who works at the front desk. She always says good morning and seems to be happy most of the time. Hope this review is helpful.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed with my Fiancé in a King deluxe room on the 5th floor with a partial ocean view. We decided to travel to Florida to get a break from the awful midwest winter this year. This was our first stay at the hotel and I could say that the hotel exceeded our expectations. The hotel is very clean and well kept. The lobby is absolutely beautiful; feels like someone's private home! Our room was small but sufficient and waking up with a side view of the ocean is an added bonus! The bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed having access to free Wi-Fi (we all know free Wi-Fi is unheard of these days). The staff was more than accommodating and friendly, especially the front desk. The location of this hotel is fantastic, directly on the beach, a couple of minutes away from the fun of LBTS and 15 or so minutes away from downtown Fort Lauderdale. Overall, we loved it and we'll be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Destin, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights for my wife's 30 year high school reunion and had a room on the beach. We originally had a standard room on the street side but it was a little small so we upgraded to a suite on the water. The suite was large with a full kitchen, sofa and large flat screen tv. Room was clean and quiet at night. Front desk staff while not overly friendly was adequate. The area around the Sea Lord is really revitalized since years ago with many great choices for food and drinks. Parking area is small but we always found a spot.

Room Tip: Get a waterfront suite
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed at the Sea Lord for a few days. Hotel's location is amazing, lobby and dining area are beautiful. Breakfast is a big disappointment, no selection what so ever, awful bagels and pastries. Rooms are clean as you would expect when you pay this much, but very out of date. Big bald night security guard speaks no English what so ever, rude and quite intimidating. He told us that we can use our beach chairs only until 5pm, which I think is outrageous since we payed for them and wanted to use them all day. we will never return to this hotel in LBTS, we will take our business somewhere else. I would not recommend this hotel. You can get a lot more for the same price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Tulum, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I'm staying right now in this hotel, and me and my wife have received a terrible attention from the night guardian. When I told him that we wll complain for his rudeness his answer was "COMPLAIN AS MUCH AS YOU WHANT". Then he had a threatening attitude, when I picked up the telephone to call reception, he mockingly show me he had the handset in his belt. Not happy with that, he startef to yeld me "WHERE ARE YOU FROM, BECAUSE THIS IS AMERICA".
Also the night receptionist was not very nice, seems they concern more about where thier guest are coming from, than give a good service.
By the way, I book ocean view room but with no explanation or apologies they gave me parking lot view room.

• Stayed May 2014
Tulsa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We've stayed in a number of hotels in Ft Lauderdale by the sea. They all have a glitch or two with faucets or drains or problems with a shortage of lounge chairs. That's simply Ft Lauderdale by the sea.

At this hotel, the staff was extremely kind and helpful, the rooms clean and large, the pool spotless and the eating area for breakfast just lovely. The breakfast is just bread, fruit, frozen waffles, a few pastries and 2 cereal choices. There is no restaurant per se or bar but everything is well maintained. It was quiet for the most part, and the beach in front of the hotel well maintained. They have a security guard who was on his feet at 5am to ask how he could help us.

We will return to Sea Lord and if an attentive, kind staff means something to you, this is your kind of spot.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is on the beach. Families are treated better than couples! All family rooms are on the beach side.
The hotel provides free breakfast. The breakfast is mediocre. Kirkland brand bagels, ego waffles, and horrible juice... And let's not forget the weak coffee.
Beach chairs also cost 5$ a day.
If you want clean sheets and a nice beach come here or else shop around for something cheaper or something that will give u more for the money

• Stayed April 2014

Been to Sea Lord Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!